-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Once Upon a Time in the West (Newly-Restored)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 DexterPQ

DexterPQ

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:10 PM

Old Guardian Article
Once upon a time in the archive | | guardian.co.uk Arts

From 'The Film Foundation' Hompage
Quote:
The Film Foundation and Rome Film Festival
present world premiere of newly-restored
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

Oct-15-2007
The Film Foundation and Rome Film Festival
present world premiere of newly-restored
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST

The Film Foundation teamed up with the Rome Film Festival to fund the restoration of Sergio Leone’s 1968 masterpiece, ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST. The film was shot in the Techniscope format, which has not been used since the early 1970s. For the restoration, an interpositive was printed from the original negative, and an optical conversion was made from it to create a new preservation internegative. Using the new interpositive and internegative film stocks that are available now resulted in an even sharper image and finer grain than in the original prints.

The color was completely re-timed so that audiences can once again experience the rich earth tones of the original. Magnetic master tracks were used to re-create the audio for both the Italian and English sound tracks, resulting in a significant increase in frequency response compared to the original optical sound tracks. Several shots not included in previous presentations were added, making this restoration the most complete version to date.

Ang Lee, a member of The Film Foundation’s board of directors, will introduce the newly-restored film when it premieres at the Rome Film Festival at the Sala Petrassi dell'Auditorium. The screening is scheduled for October 24 at 8:00 pm.

The restoration of ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST was made possible with support by The Film Foundation and The Rome Film Festival in association with Sergio Leone Productions and Paramount Pictures.

So, it's time for a 40th Anniversary Edition on DVD and Blu-ray.Posted Image

#2 of 24 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:48 PM

Are we sure the existing DVD isn't using this newly restored print? Because it looks about brand damn new.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#3 of 24 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,395 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
Are we sure the existing DVD isn't using this newly restored print? Because it looks about brand damn new.
It looks damn good so I expect the next time I buy this title again on any video format it will be on a BRD.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#4 of 24 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 28 2008 - 12:04 AM

well the original Paramount release is from 2003, and to borrow a statement from the article

Leone, who died in 1989, considered the film, starring Henry Fonda, Claudia Cardinale and Charles Bronson, to have been his masterpiece. Margaret Bodde, executive director of the US-based Film Foundation set up by Scorsese and others, says the American director, who knew Leone, had the idea of getting the movie restored after watching the DVD released in the US. "The colour was really not correct and the quality not up to what it should be," she says.

so maybe ther is hope
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#5 of 24 DexterPQ

DexterPQ

Agent

• 25 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 12:07 AM

Quote:
Are we sure the existing DVD isn't using this newly restored print?
How? The new print premiered on October 24, 2007 at the Rome Film Festival.Posted Image

and
Quote:
Margaret Bodde, executive director of the US-based Film Foundation set up by Scorsese and others, says the American director, who knew Leone, had the idea of getting the movie restored after watching the DVD released in the US.

#6 of 24 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,041 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 04:13 AM

Quote:
The new restoration allegedly includes the scene where the sheriff played by Keenan Wynn and his men beat up Harmonica so the answer's no.

In regards to the color: when I saw a print of the previous 1985 restoration/rerelease, the colors weren't any different from Lowry's dvd restoration so is it possible that Leone elected to reject the golden tones from the itallian version (as seen on their dvd) for more reddish brown ones when preparing the international cut in '69?

#7 of 24 jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Second Unit

• 488 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 04:58 AM

Unless there is at least 10+ minutes of additional film added to this new version, I'll probably pass. The current DVD of the film, is one of the best in terms of quality and extras, that I own...

#8 of 24 Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein

Studio Mogul

• 39,336 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 05:07 AM

The current DVD release is remarkable and I would also hope
that the next version to be released makes its way to Blu-ray.

Ronald J Epstein
Home Theater Forum co-owner

gallery_269895_23_10043.jpg Click Here for the latest/hottest Blu-ray Preorders gallery_269895_23_1316.jpg Click Here for our complete Blu-ray review archive

gallery_269895_23_773.jpg Click Here for our complete 3D Blu-ray review archive gallery_269895_23_992.jpgClick Here for our complete DVD review archive

gallery_269895_23_7246.jpg Click Here for Blu-Ray Preorder Release Schedule gallery_269895_23_3120.jpg Click Here for forum posting rules and regulations

#9 of 24 David_B_K

David_B_K

Screenwriter

• 1,448 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 06:22 AM

I kind of wonder how much money we can expect to see spent on remastering this movie to DVD or Blu-Ray. The current DVD is a bargain bin disc that Amazon is selling for $6.99. I've been seeing it in bargain bins for years (I think I paid $14.99 for the pre-order). I'd like to see a new and improved version, but it does not look a property that will give a good return on the investment.

#10 of 24 Tim Tucker

Tim Tucker

Screenwriter

• 1,023 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_B_K
The current DVD is a bargain bin disc that Amazon is selling for $6.99.
I have noticed that Paramount dumps DVDs like this when a new edition is in the works (i.e. To Catch a Thief).

On the other hand, Paramount does seem to be clearing out a lot of its catalog titles recently.
BARBARA WRIGHT: You're from Earth?
MORTON DILL: No... no, ma'am, I... I'm from Alabama.
Doctor Who: Flight Through Eternity

#11 of 24 dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,857 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted March 28 2008 - 06:43 AM

maybe when MGM does is Leones in Bluray, Paramount can release at same time
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#12 of 24 Reggie W

Reggie W

Supporting Actor

• 633 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 06:57 AM

Well, it's true the disc has been priced at 5 to 7 bucks for quite a while and it's the biggest steal on dvd in my opinion. I would certainly love to see a new dvd released of this restoration and I think it's well worth the double dip being that current disc can be had so cheap. It really is Leone's best work so let's see that new disc!

#13 of 24 oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 07:33 AM

I would upgrade to Blu Ray if this happens.

What an amazing movie though.

Classic entrance from Henry Fonda
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#14 of 24 Richard--W

Richard--W

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 12:07 PM

I'm at a loss how to interpret the quote from Margaret Bodde in post 5. I applaud a Festival that's willing to invest in preservation, but she does not specify what is wrong with the color or the image. I saw ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST repeatedly when it was new, and I've been to a number of repertory screenings over the years. To my eye Paramount's Special Collector's Edition looks exactly right. It's one of the best standard DVD's that I've seen. Although I dislike spaghetti westerns as a rule, this spaghetti western is the exception. Tthe imagery, sound and music of Leone's masterpiece is to be savored. I can't imagine ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST looking any better than it does now.

Can someone who saw the restoration last October, and who is knowledgeable about the film, comment on the differences?

#15 of 24 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,464 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 28 2008 - 12:33 PM

Paramount's DVD is great, but the R1 has a lot of edge enhancement that's not on the identical R2 DVD (which uses the same excellent Lowry Digital Image digital cleanup). LDI also used a duplicate negative as the image source instead of the camera negative, so there is improvement to be accomplished for a BluRay.

#16 of 24 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 3,932 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 28 2008 - 02:39 PM

This is my personal favourite of Leone's films, so i'll double dip for better colour timing and, of course, HD.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#17 of 24 Derek M Germano

Derek M Germano

Second Unit

• 400 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 03:57 PM

ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is a masterpiece that needs to be on Blu-ray, let's hope it will be an early offering from Paramount.
Derek M. Germano
THE CINEMA LASER
2,000-plus Blu-ray & DVD reviews now playing...
http://www.thecinemalaser.com

#18 of 24 Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,041 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard--W
I'm at a loss how to interpret the quote from Margaret Bodde in post 5. I applaud a Festival that's willing to invest in preservation, but she does not specify what is wrong with the color or the image. I saw ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST repeatedly when it was new, and I've been to a number of repertory screenings over the years. To my eye Paramount's Special Collector's Edition looks exactly right. It's one of the best standard DVD's that I've seen. Although I dislike spaghetti westerns as a rule, this spaghetti western is the exception. Tthe imagery, sound and music of Leone's masterpiece is to be savored. I can't imagine ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST looking any better than it does now.
Well the Italian dvd as compared on DVD Beaver seems to exhibit the golden tones Ms. Bodde claims as being the accurate colors for this film. I'm not sure how the film looked in its original US release in '69 but the current dvd is pretty spot on to how it appeared in 1985.

Quote:
Patrick McCart]LDI also used a duplicate negative as the image source instead of the camera negative, so there is improvement to be accomplished for a BluRay.
Even if it was a dupe element the current SD still looks far better than the old laserdisc. Looks far better that noisy mess that MGM foistered on us in the shape of their "restoration" of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly too.

Also has anyone considered the possibility that Criterion might reissue this?

#19 of 24 Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,464 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 28 2008 - 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Dalek
Even if it was a dupe element the current SD still looks far better than the old laserdisc. Looks far better that noisy mess that MGM foistered on us in the shape of their "restoration" of The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly too.

Yeah, GBU looked fantastic when I saw a 35mm print of the restoration. Looked better than most Super-35 films of today.

#20 of 24 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek M Germano
ONCE UPON A TIME IN THE WEST is a masterpiece that needs to be on Blu-ray, let's hope it will be an early offering from Paramount.

Ditto here
Death before Streaming!

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow