Jump to content



Sign up for a free account!

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Ruby-Spears Programs Not Likely to Ever See a Release


  • You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 of 13 ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 55 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 04 2007

Posted March 27 2008 - 08:59 PM

While we have hopes that WB Entertainment will get its Classic Collection division act together and release certain Ruby-Spears programs (the bulk of which is under technical ownership of Turner Entertainment since 1990) produced from 1978-91, there are several R-S programs that will probably never see the light of day on DVD (at least not from WBE):

*Rubik the Amazing Cube (ABC, 1983-1984)
Reason: The show is based off of the popular toy, Rubik's Cube, with the title song sung by Puerto Rican boy-band Menudo.
*Saturday Supercade (CBS, 1983-1985)
Reason: Numerous video game licenses.
**Both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong, Jr. are copyrighted by Nintendo of America, Inc.
**Kangaroo is copyrighted by Sun Electronics (licensed in the USA to Atari, Inc.)
**Space Ace is copyrighted by Don Bluth Productions
**Pitfall is copyrighted by Activision
**Q*bert is copyrighted by Sony Pictures Entertainment (technically Columbia Pictures; nee D. Gottlieb & Company/Mylstar Electronics)
*Dragon's Lair (ABC, 1984-1985)
Reason: Like Space Ace, this was based off of a game of the same name, which is another copyright of Don Bluth Productions.
*Lazer Tag Academy (NBC, 1986-1987)
Reason: Another toy license. Worlds of Wonder was the manufacturer of the original toy line, but they went belly up since. Who owns the Lazer Tag trademark now?
*Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos (syndication, 1986-1987)
Reason: Chuck Norris himself.

Perhaps, it may also be due to certain legal squabbles from Messrs. R. and S. themselves. What do you think???

~Ben

#2 of 13 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

    Screenwriter

  • 1,141 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 25 2000

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:11 PM

I don't think Ken and Joe really have any say in the matter, though I'm sure they're not happy about it. Think of it: they worked at Hanna-Barbera for Taft Broadcasting over the years, then finally decide to strike out on their own with Filmways as their partner, manage to provide serious competition, then Filmways backs out and who buys out their animation studio but Taft Broadcasting, the same people they were trying to get away from. Talk about "FACE!"

Really, though, are we missing anything from not having those titles on DVD? Those were kinda the nadir of Saturday Morning toons.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#3 of 13 JoshuaB.

JoshuaB.

    Second Unit

  • 408 posts
  • Join Date: Feb 09 2004
  • Real Name:Joshua
  • LocationCowtown, formerly Vancouver

Posted March 28 2008 - 04:51 AM

The only Ruby-Spears program I'm anticipating on DVD is the 1988 Superman series. I have no doubt that it will be released eventually, considering Warner is releasing nearly every DC Comics superhero animated series (be it Filmation, Hanna Barbera, etc.).

#4 of 13 Tony S

Tony S

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 211 posts
  • Join Date: Nov 09 2004

Posted March 28 2008 - 06:03 AM

At least we got RS's It's Punky Brewster series (almost) complete.

#5 of 13 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

    Screenwriter

  • 2,417 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 25 2003

Posted March 28 2008 - 07:57 AM

Come on, its just about the entire run of the series, minus 1 measly cartoon, its 99.9 percent complete !This I beleive, is the only ruby spears on dvd, unless your counting the soon to be released, richie rich !!!!
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#6 of 13 ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 55 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 04 2007

Posted March 28 2008 - 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Zannikos
Come on, its just about the entire run of the series, minus 1 measly cartoon, its 99.9 percent complete !This I beleive, is the only ruby spears on dvd, unless your counting the soon to be released, richie rich !!!!

Sorry, Richie Rich is Hanna-Barbera... Let's get our votes in!

#7 of 13 Xenia Stathakopoulou

Xenia Stathakopoulou

    Screenwriter

  • 2,417 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 25 2003

Posted March 28 2008 - 08:14 AM

Yes I know its HB,but I couldve sworn at the end credits, there was always a ruby spears logo .Of course, maybe thats my fuzzy memory from over 20 years ago , playing tricks on me.
At last my body is reunited with my soul which was always feminine.

#8 of 13 Kevin Martinez

Kevin Martinez

    Second Unit

  • 496 posts
  • Join Date: Oct 30 2005

Posted March 28 2008 - 09:04 AM

Add in Alvin and the Chipmunks to that list as well. They apparently used tons of copyright music in each episode.

#9 of 13 Daniel-C

Daniel-C

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 51 posts
  • Join Date: Mar 21 2006

Posted April 01 2008 - 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicTVFan1981
While we have hopes that WB Entertainment will get its Classic Collection division act together and release certain Ruby-Spears programs (the bulk of which is under technical ownership of Turner Entertainment since 1990) produced from 1978-91, there are several R-S programs that will probably never see the light of day on DVD (at least not from WBE):

*Rubik the Amazing Cube (ABC, 1983-1984)
Reason: The show is based off of the popular toy, Rubik's Cube, with the title song sung by Puerto Rican boy-band Menudo.
*Saturday Supercade (CBS, 1983-1985)
Reason: Numerous video game licenses.
**Both Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong, Jr. are copyrighted by Nintendo of America, Inc.
**Kangaroo is copyrighted by Sun Electronics (licensed in the USA to Atari, Inc.)
**Space Ace is copyrighted by Don Bluth Productions
**Pitfall is copyrighted by Activision
**Q*bert is copyrighted by Sony Pictures Entertainment (technically Columbia Pictures; nee D. Gottlieb & Company/Mylstar Electronics)
*Dragon's Lair (ABC, 1984-1985)
Reason: Like Space Ace, this was based off of a game of the same name, which is another copyright of Don Bluth Productions.
*Lazer Tag Academy (NBC, 1986-1987)
Reason: Another toy license. Worlds of Wonder was the manufacturer of the original toy line, but they went belly up since. Who owns the Lazer Tag trademark now?
*Chuck Norris' Karate Kommandos (syndication, 1986-1987)
Reason: Chuck Norris himself.

Perhaps, it may also be due to certain legal squabbles from Messrs. R. and S. themselves. What do you think???

~Ben

Hasbro owns the rights to Lazer Tag. The only RS cartoon I know they'll probably make for DVD would be Thundarr The Barbarian.

#10 of 13 AndyMcKinney

AndyMcKinney

    Screenwriter

  • 1,877 posts
  • Join Date: Apr 02 2004
  • LocationKentucky, USA

Posted April 01 2008 - 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel-C
Hasbro owns the rights to Lazer Tag. The only RS cartoon I know they'll probably make for DVD would be Thundarr The Barbarian.


That's the one that I am hoping will come out!

#11 of 13 Mark Edward Heuck

Mark Edward Heuck

    Screenwriter

  • 1,141 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 25 2000

Posted April 04 2008 - 11:16 PM

The "RICHIE RICH" confusion might stem from the fact that in its second season, HB Richie Rich episodes were paired up with a new RS series, "GOLDIE GOLD & ACTION JACK," and each show would have its own closing credits, so you would see both a Ruby-Spears and a Hanna-Barbera logo at the end of the show.
"As I looked back over my life, I realized that I enjoyed nothing--not art, not sex--more than going to the movies." -- Gore Vidal

#12 of 13 ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981

    Stunt Coordinator

  • 55 posts
  • Join Date: Dec 04 2007

Posted April 05 2008 - 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Edward Heuck
The "RICHIE RICH" confusion might stem from the fact that in its second season, HB Richie Rich episodes were paired up with a new RS series, "GOLDIE GOLD & ACTION JACK," and each show would have its own closing credits, so you would see both a Ruby-Spears and a Hanna-Barbera logo at the end of the show.

Not to mention that Goldie Gold was conceived as the feminine equivalent of Richie Rich (Richie generally appealed to the male audience, so when Taft bought RS, they came up with Goldie for the feminine audience) at the time. But, technically, Richie Rich was still with Scooby and Scrappy-Doo, right?

#13 of 13 todd s

todd s

    Lead Actor

  • 6,842 posts
  • Join Date: Jul 08 1999

Posted April 05 2008 - 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshuaB.
The only Ruby-Spears program I'm anticipating on DVD is the 1988 Superman series. I have no doubt that it will be released eventually, considering Warner is releasing nearly every DC Comics superhero animated series (be it Filmation, Hanna Barbera, etc.).


I too hope they release the Superman series. Has their been any rumors of t coming out?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.


Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray


0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users


Forum Nav Content I Follow