Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

50 Movies All Guys Should See Before They Die

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
72 replies to this topic

#1 of 73 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 27 2008 - 08:02 AM

...according to "Movie Crunch" at movie.popcrunch.com.

Click Here! Have fun!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 73 OFFLINE   Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield

Executive Producer

• 10,620 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2008 - 08:28 AM

Well, I've only seen 30 of the 50, so I guess I can't die for awhile. Posted Image

#3 of 73 OFFLINE   DavidJ

DavidJ

Screenwriter

• 2,598 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Merryfield
Well, I've only seen 30 of the 50, so I guess I can't die for awhile. Posted Image

I've seen 34. Does that mean I'm going to go sooner? Posted Image

And to be honest, looking at their list, I'm pretty sure I'll probably never see all of them, but I doubt that I will live for ever.

Does anyone else think that 3 Guy Ritchie films in any list of 50 is too many? Unless it is a list of Guy Ritchie Films. Posted Image

#4 of 73 OFFLINE   Dave Poehlman

Dave Poehlman

Producer

• 3,817 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 09:03 AM

I've only seen 22.. I'm not sure if I should be embarrassed or happy.

46. The Matador <====---- I loved this movie!!

#5 of 73 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 09:03 AM

I've seen 41 of them but I think the list was made by a young person.
Of course, at this stage of the game almost everyone around me seems to be a young person.
I got to see R.E.M. tape an Austin City Limits recently....that group has been together 27 years and I was in a studio full of...younger persons. Posted Image
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#6 of 73 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,852 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 27 2008 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry Gale
I've seen 41 of them but I think the list was made by a young person.
Of course, at this stage of the game almost everyone around me seems to be a young person.

Posted Image I can relate!

The article says it's a "modern guide" Posted Image

Quote:
Classic movies like Bullit, Easy Rider, The French Connection, amongst others, are guy movies, but our list is a modern guide (past 20 years).

I just took time to go through the list. I'm concerned about my testosterone levels. I can only account for 13 on the list. Posted Image I think I've been whipped into a few too many chick flicks of late! Posted Image

I'm really bummed because one of the one on the list I've seen--Crank-- was really pretty bad. Some of the good ones keep getting pushed back.

Heck, I hadn't seen Pulp Fiction until a few months ago! What a revelation that film was for me. I really regretted it had taken me so long to see it.

I do, however, have three at the very top of my to-watch queue at home...

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#7 of 73 OFFLINE   Greg_R

Greg_R

Screenwriter

• 1,998 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted March 27 2008 - 09:53 AM

This may be the first time that I've seen a list like this and felt compelled to post about the crappy selections. I have seen almost all of the movies on the list and about 1/2 were _really_ bad. I was half expecting to see Battlefield Earth on the list after reading through the first 25 movies...

OK, so the list is for "guy" movies made in the past 20 years... but not even one Arnold flick (or even a Will Smith popcorn movie like Bad Boys)? How did Lucky Number Slevin get picked over these movies? Where are the comedies? Since it's a young person writing the article I would have at least expected to see American Pie on the list.

#8 of 73 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 22,189 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 27 2008 - 10:33 AM

I've seen 38 of them and all but one of the top 25 (I've no interest in seeing Crank). While there's movies that I think are massively overrated or just plain bad on the list, there's enough good movies on here that the list is pretty good.

I'm always glad to see a nod for Hustle & Flow.

#9 of 73 OFFLINE   RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,519 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 10:49 AM

There are a lot of movies on that list I have no interest in seeing, and I couldn't care less what young guy recommends them.

#10 of 73 OFFLINE   Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 12:13 PM

I'm with you on that, Robert. I have seen few of those movies and have zero desire to see most of the ones on the list that I haven't.

#11 of 73 OFFLINE   Brad Porter

Brad Porter

Screenwriter

• 1,757 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 01:41 PM

I've seen all but five of them, three of those having been released within the past year. My immediate impression is that the only useful interpretation of the list is that all of the movies should be seen immediately prior to your death just so that you have a proper appreciation for the blessed, serene embrace of the grim reaper. Posted Image

I say take Match Point off and put Sexy Beast on the list, just for starters. Then I'd drop Scent of A Woman and add Tremors. Goodbye Crank, hello T2: Judgement Day... not too hard to improve this list.

Brad
We apologise for the unnecessary truncation and lack of formatting control in the signature. Those responsible should be sacked.

Mynd you, møøse bites Kan be pretty nasti...

#12 of 73 OFFLINE   Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 02:27 PM

I've seen 41 on this list with a few more waiting in my unwatched pile. So that number will increase soon. Have to agree that some films shouldn't even be on there.....that's their list, not mine.
Recently watched- Saturn 3, Cheers: Season 6, Nosferatu: The Vampyre, Battle Beyond The Stars, Invasion Of The Body Snatchers(1978), Ransom, Dragonheart, Tomb Of Ligeia, Bloodlust: Subspecies III, Gorky Park, The Last Man On Earth(1964), Lost: Season 6, Transformers Age Of Extinction 3D, The World's End, Toy Story Of Terror!, X-Men: Days Of Future Past 3D, Bloodstone: Subspecies II

Currently watching- Planet Earth, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, The Equalizer: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, WKRP In Cincinnati: Season 1, Arrow: Season 2

Irina Asanova - "KGB have better cars, you know."
Arkady Renko - "Ah, but they don't always take you where you want to go, do they?"

#13 of 73 OFFLINE   Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Executive Producer

• 14,866 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 27 2008 - 04:02 PM

I've only seen a handful, but they are generally not my type of films, I guess.

#14 of 73 OFFLINE   Tim Maynard

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 04:23 PM

I've seen 12 of them.
Plus bits and pieces of many of the others.
Tim Maynard
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling abilities!!"

#15 of 73 OFFLINE   Chris Maynard

Chris Maynard

Supporting Actor

• 645 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 04:56 PM

No relation. ^

Posted Image
I did nothing...I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be..

#16 of 73 OFFLINE   Henry Gale

Henry Gale

Producer

• 4,633 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Maynard
No relation. ^

Posted Image

Chris,
Have you posted this 219 times now? Posted Image
"I was born to ramble, born to rove
Some men are searchin for the Holy Grail
But there ain't nothin sweeter 
Than riden' the rails."
-Tom Waits-

#17 of 73 OFFLINE   Tim Maynard

Tim Maynard

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 07:12 PM

Posted Image
Tim Maynard
"You want the truth?! You can't handle the truth!! No truth-handler you!! Bah!! I deride your truth-handling abilities!!"

#18 of 73 OFFLINE   Greg Layton

Greg Layton

Second Unit

• 268 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:58 PM

I've seen 40. There are a few duds there, but overall it isn't too bad for what it is.
Watched/Top 10 Lists
2006 List 2006 Top 10
2007 List 2007 Top 10
2008 List 2008 Top 10
2009 List (incomplete)My AFI movie list is here.

#19 of 73 OFFLINE   Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Producer

• 3,764 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 12:22 AM

No list is complete without Bloodsport

I think I've seen 47 of the 50, and the other 3 are already on my Netflix queue....... maybe its time to beef-up my term life assurance.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#20 of 73 OFFLINE   Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 03:06 AM

Thelma and Louise Posted Image

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow