-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Is Google Down?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 of 16 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts
  • LocationCentral Arkansas

Posted March 27 2008 - 01:59 AM

I can't get into google to do a search. I use gmail and that is working.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#2 of 16 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted March 27 2008 - 03:01 AM

I'm not having a problem at the moment (11:01 AM ET) and haven't noticed any problem all morning.

Joe

#3 of 16 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 03:24 AM

It is working for me now. That's weird.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org
But a family cat is not replaceable like a wornout coat or a set of tires. Each new kitten becomes its own cat, and none is repeated. I am four cats old, measuring out my life in friends that have succeeded but not replaced one another.--Irving Townsend

#4 of 16 Jay H

Jay H

Producer

• 5,634 posts
  • LocationPittsfield, MA

Posted March 27 2008 - 03:32 AM

Might of been a temporary DNS hiccup... couldn't connect to Google? I was just using Google and Wikipedia here

Jay
You are the crispy noodle in the vegetarian salad of life

#5 of 16 alan halvorson

alan halvorson

Screenwriter

• 2,021 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 05:37 PM

Google has been down and up for several days, more up lately.
They're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!
They're coming to take me away, ho-ho, hee-hee, ha-haaa To the funny farm. Where life is beautiful all the time and I'll be happy to see those nice young men in their clean white coats and they're coming to take me away, ha-haaa!!!!!
- Napoleon XIV

#6 of 16 Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter

• 1,612 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 01:50 AM

So... if Google is down, does that mean scroogle is also ?

Scroogle Scraper

#7 of 16 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 02:46 PM

I was having trouble a google mobile today...

#8 of 16 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 05 2008 - 10:19 PM

Now I can't log in to Google..............the IP ADDRESS is working but I can't log onto the main site or Gmail, I thought it might be a worm or trojan or hijack...don't know but it has been days since I was able to log in and I have run every spyware-virus-malware etc. etc. program I can find and, although I did find quite a few little stowaways, Google still isn't loading for me in Firefox or IE.

EDIT: Or Opera, I just downloaded it and still nothing.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#9 of 16 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 03:32 AM

Did you clear your browser cache and your host file? I'm really suspicious of your host file...
You've run spybot?
Do you have a 2nd computer you could use to try reaching google from the same connection?

The only other ideas I have are;
*try re-booting your modem.
*Go to yahoo.com and do a search for google then click on the link to google to see if it takes you there (workaround from your host file)

#10 of 16 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 06:49 AM

I did this awhile back and I made a backup but when I tried to re-install the backup (just to see if this was the problem) it would not work, when I do a "save as" what file type do I save the "Hosts" file as?

BTW, Scroogle works.
-Kevin M.

There's a human tendency to resent anyone who disagrees with our pleasures.  The less mature interpret that as a personal attack on themselves.
- Roger Ebert

#11 of 16 Kevin M

Kevin M

Producer

• 5,172 posts

Posted April 06 2008 - 07:40 AM

...................it's working.
I disabled Mcafee and then enabled it and now Google is loading as usual....Posted Image

AAAAHHHH! Now it isn't, but now Gmail (for which I have a separate link) is working......ugg.
-Kevin M.

- Roger Ebert

#12 of 16 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 10 2008 - 10:33 AM

why would you reinstall the backup of the host file? The host file should be blank. Nada. Nothing. In your other thread I included a link to directions on this. All you need to do is open the host file, delete everything in there (but if you want, post it's contents here, I am curious) then save the result. That should fix it.

I am almost cetein that you have adware/malware which is writing to your host file. I have little doubt you'll find something there, and I would not be surprized if it reappeared after you delete it... (malware can do this)

#13 of 16 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 11 2008 - 11:41 PM

Johnny;

I had an inspiration last night. It is a longshot, but something we've not considered. Would you please visit this site for a moment;
What is my IP address? Show my IP address. IP Tracer & IP Locator.
I am not interested in knowing your ip #, I am interested in seeing your ip LOCATION. (It should show a city right underneath the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx info. I'm suspicious maybe you have a proxy and this is an easy way to tell.

Please post what that city/location is.

Thanks

#14 of 16 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts

Posted April 12 2008 - 03:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric_L
JPlease post what that city/location is.
IP location is Maumelle in the United States. ISP is Charter. All of that is correct with the exception that I sometimes wonder if Arkansas (which is where Maumelle is) is in the USPosted Image
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org

#15 of 16 Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,991 posts

Posted April 13 2008 - 11:26 PM

I'm getting confused - it looks like there is more than one person here working this problem.. Sorry if I confused you all.

It would appear that Johnny does not have an ip proxy, that's good. Are you still at Germany Google? Did you try clearing the cache and host file? Run spybot?

Kevin, why don't you try the same, and also let me know what happens when you lookup google in yahoo and click on the link - does that fix the problem?

#16 of 16 Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell

Producer

• 5,100 posts

Posted April 15 2008 - 01:46 AM

Just to be clear, I only had the problem, briefly, that one day.
Johnny
www.teamfurr.org