What's new

Pete Kelly's Blues coming on 07/22 (1 Viewer)

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marcel
According to the Bits, Warner is releasing Pete Kelly's Blues on the 22nd of July.

Charles H

Screenwriter
Anatole Litvak's BLUES IN THE NIGHT is a terrific little noir film--similar in tone and plot to PETE KELLY'S BLUES. I never thought that it would see the light of dvd!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Pete Kelly's Blues, Blues In The Night, Round Midnight and Bird ... do I detect a theme here?

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark

Whoa! It's very strange indeed. Judging from the recent artwork for the Sinatra sets and such, it seems there's a new group of folks doing cover art for WB these days. Too bad. It's a good thing the film itself it the "main thing."

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Is it possible that they've done market research and found that the original cover art turns off some customers?

That cover art makes the film look like a Blues Brothers spin off. :P

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Out of curiosity, let me ask......

How many people buy a film based on cover art? Is it not typical of the average consumer to buy a DVD due to familiarity of the contents? Are people inclined to
purchase an unknown film as a reaction to a really cool and funky sleeve? I think not... Most of us know the contents prior to purchase, I would think.

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

Apparently about 50% of DVD purchases are of films the buyer has not seen.

For VHS blind buys were closer to 25%. So it would seem that cover art is more important now than ever.

For me the film is the most important thing, followed by extras, followed by cover art.

But it is interesting that Warner seem to be rethinking their packaging in quite radical ways.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know how you take that leap about the importance of cover art beyond some of the hardcore film buffs segment?

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You're the one that stated cover art is more important than ever which is why I asked how can you come to that conclusion?

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
Packaging is more important now because with DVD people are much more likely to buy films they haven't previously seen. How a film is presented on the packaging could influence a blind buy of one film, instead of something else. In the VHS days, people just wanted to find the title that they most likely had already watched at the cinema.

It's obviously not the only thing that determines sales - for Hollywood films, the presence of star actors is probably the most important thing - but packaging is obviously something the companies spend care thinking about. Criterion even hire dedicated artists for different releases, and work through numerous variations before settling on something.

The change in Warner's packaging suggests they have rethought their approach in recent months. I wouldn't be surprised if they run focus groups to see which designs customers are most likely to buy.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
DVDBeaver on Blues in the Night.

Excellent film, happy to know the DVD is that great.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David Fiore

agreed CK--it's one of the most unique films produced by the studio system, and I'm glad they finally decided to put it out there!

Simon Howson

Screenwriter
With a bit of luck my copy of Pete Kelly's Blues will arrive tomorrow. I've been waiting to see this for years.

Charles Ellis

Senior HTF Member
Now that Pete Kelly's Blues is out, how about the 1952 remake of The Jazz Singer starring Danny Thomas and Peggy Lee? The only reason I want it on DVD is because Peggy Lee gives a fantastic rendition of the Rodgers & Hart standard "Lover" that has to be seen to believed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks