Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

Pete Kelly's Blues coming on 07/22

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 10:56 AM

According to the Bits, Warner is releasing Pete Kelly's Blues on the 22nd of July.

Quote:
And Warner has announced a number of additional DVD titles, both new and repromoted (some tied to the release of the new Dirty Harry special editions). They include The Closer: The Complete Third Season and DogTown: Second Chances on 7/1, Fastlane: The Complete Series and His Holiness the Dalai Lama Speaks: Peace and Prosperity on 7/8, The Batman: The Complete Fifth Season, Teen Titans: The Complete Fifth Season, Bird (A Film by Clint Eastwood), Blues in the Night, Pete Kelly's Blues and Round Midnight on 7/22, and Sensitive Skin: Complete First and Second Seasons on 8/5. Word of advice: Don't ever accuse Dirty Harry of having sensitive skin.

Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#2 of 24 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 10:59 AM

Fabulous - delighted about Blues in the Night too!!!! Posted Image
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#3 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted March 26 2008 - 11:31 AM

Terrific news. Peggy Lee is a standout.

#4 of 24 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 12:37 PM

Anatole Litvak's BLUES IN THE NIGHT is a terrific little noir film--similar in tone and plot to PETE KELLY'S BLUES. I never thought that it would see the light of dvd!
Charles Hoyt

#5 of 24 OFFLINE   Thomas T

Thomas T

Screenwriter

• 2,312 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 01:14 PM

Pete Kelly's Blues, Blues In The Night, Round Midnight and Bird ... do I detect a theme here?

#6 of 24 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 02:17 PM

The artwork is on.
Classicflix.com Blog: Blues in the Night, Pete Kelly's Blues in July
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#7 of 24 OFFLINE   Corey

Corey

Screenwriter

• 1,412 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 02:43 PM

don't like the artwork for pete kelly.
Corey's most wanted R1 dvds:

Little Darlings (1980), My Cousin Rachel (1952), The Deep Blue Sea (1955), The White Cliffs of Dover (1944), Born to Be Bad (1950), Ivy (1947), Reckless (1935), Springtime in the Rockies (1942), The Barretts of Wimpole Street

#8 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey
don't like the artwork for pete kelly.

Whoa! It's very strange indeed. Judging from the recent artwork for the Sinatra sets and such, it seems there's a new group of folks doing cover art for WB these days. Too bad. It's a good thing the film itself it the "main thing."

#9 of 24 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
Whoa! It's very strange indeed. Judging from the recent artwork for the Sinatra sets and such, it seems there's a new group of folks doing cover art for WB these days. Too bad. It's a good thing the film itself it the "main thing."
Is it possible that they've done market research and found that the original cover art turns off some customers?

That cover art makes the film look like a Blues Brothers spin off. Posted Image

#10 of 24 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 04:33 PM

Out of curiosity, let me ask......

How many people buy a film based on cover art? Is it not typical of the average consumer to buy a DVD due to familiarity of the contents? Are people inclined to
purchase an unknown film as a reaction to a really cool and funky sleeve? I think not... Most of us know the contents prior to purchase, I would think.

#11 of 24 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted March 27 2008 - 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B
Out of curiosity, let me ask......

How many people buy a film based on cover art? Is it not typical of the average consumer to buy a DVD due to familiarity of the contents? Are people inclined to
purchase an unknown film as a reaction to a really cool and funky sleeve? I think not... Most of us know the contents prior to purchase, I would think.

Apparently about 50% of DVD purchases are of films the buyer has not seen.

For VHS blind buys were closer to 25%. So it would seem that cover art is more important now than ever.

For me the film is the most important thing, followed by extras, followed by cover art.

But it is interesting that Warner seem to be rethinking their packaging in quite radical ways.

#12 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,089 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 27 2008 - 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
Apparently about 50% of DVD purchases are of films the buyer has not seen.

For VHS blind buys were closer to 25%. So it would seem that cover art is more important now than ever.

For me the film is the most important thing, followed by extras, followed by cover art.

But it is interesting that Warner seem to be rethinking their packaging in quite radical ways.
I don't know how you take that leap about the importance of cover art beyond some of the hardcore film buffs segment?

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#13 of 24 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
I don't know how you take that leap about the importance of cover art beyond some of the hardcore film buffs segment?
I didn't.

#14 of 24 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 25,089 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 28 2008 - 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Howson
I didn't.
You're the one that stated cover art is more important than ever which is why I asked how can you come to that conclusion?

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Listing

#15 of 24 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 03:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
You're the one that stated cover art is more important than ever which is why I asked how can you come to that conclusion?
Packaging is more important now because with DVD people are much more likely to buy films they haven't previously seen. How a film is presented on the packaging could influence a blind buy of one film, instead of something else. In the VHS days, people just wanted to find the title that they most likely had already watched at the cinema.

It's obviously not the only thing that determines sales - for Hollywood films, the presence of star actors is probably the most important thing - but packaging is obviously something the companies spend care thinking about. Criterion even hire dedicated artists for different releases, and work through numerous variations before settling on something.

The change in Warner's packaging suggests they have rethought their approach in recent months. I wouldn't be surprised if they run focus groups to see which designs customers are most likely to buy.

#16 of 24 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 01:13 AM

DVDBeaver on Blues in the Night.

Excellent film, happy to know the DVD is that great. Posted Image
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#17 of 24 OFFLINE   Jefty

Jefty

Stunt Coordinator

• 166 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinéKarine
DVDBeaver on Blues in the Night.

Excellent film, happy to know the DVD is that great. Posted Image

agreed CK--it's one of the most unique films produced by the studio system, and I'm glad they finally decided to put it out there!

#18 of 24 OFFLINE   Simon Howson

Simon Howson

Screenwriter

• 1,779 posts

Posted July 17 2008 - 02:35 AM

With a bit of luck my copy of Pete Kelly's Blues will arrive tomorrow. I've been waiting to see this for years.

#19 of 24 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 01:23 AM

Reviews for Pete Kelly's Blues and Blues in the Night

Both are terrific films, well worth having! (my two cents...) Posted Image

#20 of 24 OFFLINE   Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis

Screenwriter

• 1,907 posts

Posted August 15 2008 - 02:24 AM

Now that Pete Kelly's Blues is out, how about the 1952 remake of The Jazz Singer starring Danny Thomas and Peggy Lee? The only reason I want it on DVD is because Peggy Lee gives a fantastic rendition of the Rodgers & Hart standard "Lover" that has to be seen to believed.
Bring "The continuing story of PEYTON PLACE" home on DVD: the one that started it all- from Dallas and Dynasty to Desperate Housewives and Gossip Girl!!! Starting this May, see the legendary saga starring Mia Farrow, Ryan O'Neal, Barbara Parkins, and Oscar-winner Dorothy Malone on DVD thru...

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow