What's new

PCM 5.1 (1 Viewer)

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
I upgraded to a 1080P television and a Blu ray player. On a couple of Blu ray disks that I bought, Chris Botti Live, and Black Hawk Down, one of the sound options is PCM 5.1. I used audio cables to connect the five speaker analog outputs from my Blu ray player (Panasonic BD-30) to the corresponding analog inputs on my receiver. In my Blu ray set up under audio, there is something called PCM down conversion. I have tried it at "on" and "off" but when I choose PCM 5.1 from the disk audio option, my receiver does not indicate my rear speakers or sub-woofer as being active. My receiver is connected up to my Blu ray player using a coaxial cable as well which works fine when I choose sound options such as Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. For digital sound in my Blu ray set up, they are all set to Bitstream. Anyone know what I need to do to get PCM 5.1 to work? Thanks.

FullTilt

Auditioning
Real Name
Ori Konstantin
I think you need a HDMI connection to get PCM 5.1. If you use anything but HDMI, it gets downgraded to stereo. I'm pretty sure this is the case with all HD audio.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Not so. If a player has 5.1 analog outputs, as the BD30 does, they should be able to output PCM 5.1, along with any other format that the player can decode internally.

McHugh, I suspect you need to find the setting in your player's setup that configures it for a multispeaker setup instead of a two-speaker setup. I don't know the BD30, but if it's similar to the BD10, look under Setup, Connection, Speaker.

M.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Since you're using the 5.1 analog inputs of the receiver, do you choose "Multi-Channel" mode (EXT. IN on Denon), instead of "DVD" mode?
I've not used a BD player yet, but I know you use that for sacd and dvd-a discs, when using the 5.1 analog inputs, so I was thinking it's probably the same.
Good luck!

McHugh

Agent
Real Name
Soon Louis
Yes, I do have it set to multi-channel. I beginning to think that although the rear speakers and my sub are not shown as being active on my receiver display, that they are in fact working. It is my understanding that with PCM 5.1 it is a straight analog feed so there is no need for decoding by a receiver. I will have to experiment a bit. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Right..........when using the 5.1 inputs, the player is doing the processing. So, you need to set the speaker levels and distances, in the player's setup menus too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cennetkaralowa
Recent bookmarks