• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 McHugh

McHugh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 10:10 AM

I upgraded to a 1080P television and a Blu ray player. On a couple of Blu ray disks that I bought, Chris Botti Live, and Black Hawk Down, one of the sound options is PCM 5.1. I used audio cables to connect the five speaker analog outputs from my Blu ray player (Panasonic BD-30) to the corresponding analog inputs on my receiver. In my Blu ray set up under audio, there is something called PCM down conversion. I have tried it at "on" and "off" but when I choose PCM 5.1 from the disk audio option, my receiver does not indicate my rear speakers or sub-woofer as being active. My receiver is connected up to my Blu ray player using a coaxial cable as well which works fine when I choose sound options such as Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS 5.1. For digital sound in my Blu ray set up, they are all set to Bitstream. Anyone know what I need to do to get PCM 5.1 to work? Thanks.

#2 of 6 FullTilt

FullTilt

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 11:04 AM

I think you need a HDMI connection to get PCM 5.1. If you use anything but HDMI, it gets downgraded to stereo. I'm pretty sure this is the case with all HD audio.

#3 of 6 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 21,769 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullTilt
I think you need a HDMI connection to get PCM 5.1. If you use anything but HDMI, it gets downgraded to stereo. I'm pretty sure this is the case with all HD audio.
Not so. If a player has 5.1 analog outputs, as the BD30 does, they should be able to output PCM 5.1, along with any other format that the player can decode internally.

McHugh, I suspect you need to find the setting in your player's setup that configures it for a multispeaker setup instead of a two-speaker setup. I don't know the BD30, but if it's similar to the BD10, look under Setup, Connection, Speaker.

M.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#4 of 6 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 26 2008 - 11:57 AM

Since you're using the 5.1 analog inputs of the receiver, do you choose "Multi-Channel" mode (EXT. IN on Denon), instead of "DVD" mode?
I've not used a BD player yet, but I know you use that for sacd and dvd-a discs, when using the 5.1 analog inputs, so I was thinking it's probably the same.
Good luck!
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

#5 of 6 McHugh

McHugh

• PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 01:25 PM

Yes, I do have it set to multi-channel. I beginning to think that although the rear speakers and my sub are not shown as being active on my receiver display, that they are in fact working. It is my understanding that with PCM 5.1 it is a straight analog feed so there is no need for decoding by a receiver. I will have to experiment a bit. Thanks to everyone for their comments.

#6 of 6 Ed Moxley

Ed Moxley

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,701 posts
  • LocationEastern NC

Posted March 26 2008 - 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McHugh
It is my understanding that with PCM 5.1 it is a straight analog feed so there is no need for decoding by a receiver.
Right..........when using the 5.1 inputs, the player is doing the processing. So, you need to set the speaker levels and distances, in the player's setup menus too.
Samsung HL61A750 (LED DLP)            Onkyo TX-SR805
Oppo BDP-83 Blu ray                                  Polk Audio LSi9
Polk Audio LSiC                                  Sony SS-MB100H
SVS PC12-NSD (Sub)                       ...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow