-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

2008 MLB Thread

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
436 replies to this topic

#1 of 437 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,991 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 24 2008 - 09:27 AM

"Opening Day" is about 12 hours away (in Japan!).

I suppose it's time to shift gears away from spring training and start looking at the season which is already upon us. As Yogi supposedly once said, "It gets late early out there." Posted Image

Bring on the predictions!

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 437 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,991 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 24 2008 - 09:33 AM

Division Winners:

AL: Boston, Detroit, Los Angeles, Cleveland(WC)

NL: New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, Philadephia (WC)

I'll take Boston over NY in the Series.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

#3 of 437 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
"Opening Day" is about 12 hours away (in Japan!).
The first "Opening Day" of the season. Sunday is Opening Night and Monday is, officially, Opening Day. You gotta love MLB's semantics.

Anyway...predictions. Hopefully these are better than last year's. Posted Image
AL: East - Boston; Central - Detroit; West - Anaheim; WC - Seattle
NL: East - Philly; Central - Chicago; West - Los Angeles; WC - Arizona
World Series: Detroit over Arizona (upsetting the executives at FOX)

#4 of 437 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 11:41 AM

Getting up early tomorrow! It's going to be a fun couple days of being more or less useless at work Posted Image

AL: Boston, Detroit, Anaheim, New York (WC)
NL: New York, Chicago, Colorado, San Diego (WC)
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#5 of 437 Zembonez

Zembonez

Auditioning

• 11 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 12:22 PM

Man... predictions already! I'm just glad the new season is upon us. It validates Springtime in my mind. WOO HOO!
Zembonez "always evolving" HT / Denon AVR 3806 / Denon DVD-1920 / 2 Adcom GFA 545 II / Adcom GFA 535 II / Adcom ACE 515 Line Conditioner / 4 Vintage Advent 6003 / 2 Sonance S624T / Opt Pro Linaeum Center - 2 Image Dynamics DVC 12 Subs / 4 Layer Laminated Custom MDF Enclosure / Kimber & Grayson...

#6 of 437 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,991 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 25 2008 - 01:15 AM

Well...I got up and watched the game this morning (6am start). I hate waking up early! Posted Image

But...it is baseball.

Both teams were wearing advertising patches on their sleeves. Posted Image A Pepsi patch for the Athletics and E=MC(2) for the Sox. AND..."Ricoh" stickers on both teams' batting helmets. Posted Image

**Brandon Moss just tied the game with a HR in the top of the 9th inning! Woohoo!

In an in-game interview, Bud Selig said "it's great" that people are up early watching baseball on opening day. He's smokin' some bad stuff. It's bad enough that east coasters are up @ 6am and tuning in for baseball...but it's 3am on the west coast! It's stupid. He then went into some spiel about the internationalization of MLB. Apparently his master plan is based on an improvement in air travel. He's either been watching too much science fiction or I couldn't comprehend what was being said because it was too early in the morning! Posted Image

Selig also complained--at least TWICE--about being tired because of his traveling to Japan. I would think maybe that would give him some kind of clue as to why it might, then, be a bad idea to have the ballplayers make that trip at the beginning fo the season. Posted Image

**The game just went to extra innings! Woohoo! Bonus baseball in game #1!

#7 of 437 Brian Perry

Brian Perry

Screenwriter

• 2,815 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 05:34 AM

It scares me to see the Cubs almost universally predicted to be division champs, especially when:

- Kerry Wood has a good chance of coming up lame, probably at the worst possible time.
- Derrek Lee seems to have lost all of his power.
- The starting rotation has not improved...I don't have much faith that moving Dempster (Dumpster) from closer to starter will change his results.
- Alfonso Soriano has lost his base stealing desire/capability.
- Brian Roberts appears to be the longest awaited non-trade in history.

If we could overcome these obstacles and win the WS in this centennial anniversary of our last title, it would be awesome.

#8 of 437 Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai

Screenwriter

• 1,424 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 07:46 AM

I like the Cubs' chances in the NL Central. That's a pretty weak division; the Brewers are the only team that has a chance to compete with the Cubs, and the Cubs have a much better pitching staff. Even if Dempster and Wood turn out poorly, well, that's only complaing about a 4th or 5th starter and a closer (Marmol--lights out last year--could easily take over).

AL: Red Sox -- Tigers -- Angels, WC: Indians
MVP: David Ortiz
Cy Young: Erik Bedard

NL: Mets -- Cubs -- Diamondbacks, WC: Phillies
MVP: David Wright
Cy Young: Santana

#9 of 437 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 07:54 AM

Quote:
It scares me to see the Cubs almost universally predicted to be division champs

I almost feel the same way with the Phillies making the playoffs. Goes to show how weak the NL Central is. I'm going out on a limb, and pick the Brewers to win it this time around.

Quote:
Both teams were wearing advertising patches on their sleeves. A Pepsi patch for the Athletics and E=MC(2) for the Sox. AND..."Ricoh" stickers on both teams' batting helmets.

And their trip to Japan is sponsored by the Travelocity roaming knomes. Posted Image

My predictions....

NL - Mets, Brewers, Rockies, Phillies (WC)
AL - Red Sox, Tigers, Angels, Indians (WC)

Once again, it will be harder to make the playoffs in the AL than the NL.

And Brad Lidge has just been put on the 15-day DL. Another slow start for the Phillies.

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

#10 of 437 Alex-C

Alex-C

Screenwriter

• 1,240 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 08:05 AM

FWIW, the extra innings package is free on a lot of cable systems during the first week. YMMV. You have to have a cable box, but many don't realize it and its a great way to enjoy the first week of games....see them all !
A new life awaits you in the off-world colonies, the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure.

Let's Go . . . To the colonies !

#11 of 437 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,991 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 25 2008 - 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter C
And their trip to Japan is sponsored by the Travelocity roaming knomes. Posted Image

And I just love a good cross-thread reference! Posted Image

Alex: Thanks for that reminder. It's about the third or fourth one I've had already this spring and I'll probably forget come the weekend! Posted Image

==============================

And did I mention that the Red Sox are now on pace to win 162 games this year? And, Manny's on pace to drive in 648 RBIs! Posted Image I think that would be a new record. He's also on pace to pose for deep flyballs off the wall 161 more times this season. Posted Image Amazingly, today, he still managed to end up at second base. Posted Image

#12 of 437 LewB

LewB

Screenwriter

• 1,282 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 11:23 AM

Only 11 posts into the new season to hear that 'Manny is still being Manny' Posted Image

#13 of 437 Scott_J

Scott_J

Screenwriter

• 2,635 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LewB
Only 11 posts into the new season to hear that 'Manny is still being Manny' Posted Image
At least it came from a Red Sox fan, if that softens the blow a little. I was going to post something about that AB if no one else had.

What was that E=MC^2 patch advertising, anyway?

And FYI that Extra Innings preview is March 31-April 6. I wish they had a similar preview for MLB.TV, but it doesn't look like they do. Apparently, EI also has a "half-season free preview" the week of 7/17, at least on the local Time Warner system (try remembering that one, Mike Posted Image).

#14 of 437 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,991 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 25 2008 - 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_J
What was that E=MC^2 patch advertising, anyway?

Etch-A-Sketches? Honestly, I have NO idea.

Posted Image

#15 of 437 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,991 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 26 2008 - 07:35 AM

This Saturday, the Dodgers and Red Sox play at the Coliseum in LA. 115,000 people will attend!

Get this. The left field foul pole will be 201 feet from home plate!

You gotta read this (don't miss Juan Pierre's quote!):

201 Feet to Left, 440 Feet to Right: Dodgers Play the Coliseum - New York Times

#16 of 437 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 07:51 AM

Juan Pierre shouldn't have much to worry about from the bench. Posted Image

Also, I believe Wakefield is pitching that game, and he tends to be a fly ball pitcher.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#17 of 437 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,691 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 26 2008 - 04:17 PM

Quote:
And did I mention that the Red Sox are now on pace to win 162 games this year?
Well, now they're on pace for 81-81! Won't make the playoffs that way. Sorry, but I'm an A's fan. And what about this business of flying to Japan for two games against the Red Sox to start the official season, and then back to the Bay Area to finish off the pre-season this weekend with three games against the S.F. Giants? Is that crazy or what??
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#18 of 437 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,991 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 26 2008 - 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gene c
Well, now they're on pace for 81-81! Won't make the playoffs that way. Sorry, but I'm an A's fan. And what about this business of flying to Japan for two games against the Red Sox to start the official season, and then back to the Bay Area to finish off the pre-season this weekend with three games against the S.F. Giants? Is that crazy or what??

Posted Image Oh, yeah?! Well the A's are on pace to go 81-81, too! Posted Image

Don't get me started on the whole Japan nonsense...and then the exhibition games-after-Japan nonsense.

As noted above, the Sox are also flying into the West Coast for some games with the Dodgers before then flying on to Toronto to then play more "real" games. To me it smacks of similar nonsense such as interleague play. Posted Image

#19 of 437 gene c

gene c

Producer

• 5,691 posts
  • LocationBay area, Ca

Posted March 26 2008 - 11:00 PM

Quote:
Oh, yeah?! Well the A's are on pace to go 81-81, too!
Ya, but for the A's, 81-81 wouldn't be so bad!
"Everyday room": Panasonic 58" Plasma, Dish HD DVR, Pioneer Elite vsx-23, BDP-23 BR, dv58avi universal dvd player, Paradigm Studio 20 V1, CC-450, Dayton HSU-10 subwoofer.

"Movie/Music room": Toshiba 65" DLP, Dish HD receiver, Marantz 7005, CC-4003, BD-7006, Polk LSI25's-LSi7's-LSiC, 2 original Dayton 10" "Mighty-Mites" subwoofers. (subject to change without notice).

Also have  MB Quart Vera VS05 +.....too much to list. Help me.

#20 of 437 Walter C

Walter C

Screenwriter

• 2,152 posts

Posted March 26 2008 - 11:07 PM

The whole thing with playing regular season games overseas is messed up. Especially when it costs one team 2 home games while the other doesn't lose any. (I know why it happened, I just think it's a bit unfair)

TV Episodes Watched - 2009 (1419 ep) / 2010 (1367 ep) / 2011 (1509 ep) / 2012 (1440 ep) / 2013 (1191 ep) / 2014 - August
Feature Films Watched - 2012 (97 seen) / 2013 (100 seen)
Shorts Watched - 2012 (222 seen) / 2013 (87 seen)

Books Read - 2013 (12 read)

Back to After Hours Lounge

Forum Nav Content I Follow