Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Most disappointing abandoned dvd series

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
152 replies to this topic

#41 of 153 OFFLINE   Robert Floto

Robert Floto

Supporting Actor

• 739 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 07:11 AM

Randall and Hopkirk: Deceased. One volume was released...a second would have completed the series...
Movies I would purchase instantly if they were available in their correct aspect ratio:
Death Trap, Innocent Blood, The Shadow, and Remo Williams

#42 of 153 OFFLINE   Tony J Case

Tony J Case

Screenwriter

• 1,766 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 07:20 AM

My biggest dissappointments are the Krofft shows from Rhino. While there arent any specific shows left unfinished (aside from Sigmund and the Sea Monsters), there are still a ton of single season shows left untouched that still need doing: Doctor Shrinker, Wonderbug, Electrawoman and Dynagirl. And Rhino did such a good job on the extras, too. Damn shame that.

The other one probably isnt a valid series to include, but I wish they could have finished up the second GI Joe series before Hasbro pulled the liscense. Oh, sure some other stuido will get the show in time for the cross promotion with the upcoming movie, but I'd like to have gotten it all out at once.

The last one? The Six Million Dollar Man/Bionic Woman. It's been well over a year and nothing past season 2 for either. While I have no choice but to sit and wait (and enjoy what is out), I wish we'd get news one way or another.

#43 of 153 ONLINE   Bryan^H

Bryan^H

Screenwriter

• 2,817 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 08:07 AM

I forgot to mention earlier:

The Fall Guy.

I seriously hope Fox hasn't abandoned this great showPosted Image

housekeeping 2.jpg

"She always does that, she just wanders away"

#44 of 153 OFFLINE   nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 11:32 AM

A Different World and Butterflies oh and Bad Girls

#45 of 153 OFFLINE   MrToad

MrToad

Auditioning

• 5 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dearborn
Here's why. Firstly, L&S and Happy Days had been coming out concurrently. We now have a L&S release coming by itself. Secondly, I recently got in some tapes off ABC of the fifth season of the show and there is music all over the place. Since Paramount has decided not to pay rights to any songs anymore, there would be nothing left of half the shows once they started cutting. The Suzi Quatro (Leather Tuscadero) episodes would run 8 minutes once they got done chopping the music. There is a Valentine's Day episode that is ALL music. Anson Williams does one or two songs in almost every show. I can't speak for the fourth season but if it's anything like the fifth, Paramount would have looked at it and said there's no way we can do this. They're not paying for music and there's too much to cut.

Paramount said Happy Days Season 4 was coming out, they just wanted to get it away from L&S on the release schedule because the fans of both season were essentially the same people and having L&S, Happy Days and Mork and Mindy together was thought to be too much of a strain on people's pocketbooks. There was an official response from Paramount on tvshowsondvd

#46 of 153 OFFLINE   Jeff McMillan

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator

• 64 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 11:50 AM

I don't buy many TV shows on DVD, but I sure would love to have a complete collection of Larry Sanders.

But I'm also curious as to what's up with SMDM and TJ Hooker.

#47 of 153 OFFLINE   Cowboy

Cowboy

Stunt Coordinator

• 82 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 11:56 AM

Sony is lame for stopping Partridge Family with 2 seasons left.Also
want more than Season 1 of Police Woman,Alias Smith and Jones,
Baretta,S.W.A.T.Flipper,Kojak.

#48 of 153 OFFLINE   Gene M

Gene M

Stunt Coordinator

• 78 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 12:01 PM

Looks like everybody got the bases covered, But I want to see 2nd season & up of War of the Worlds series and How many seasons of Highway to Heaven ran for???

#49 of 153 OFFLINE   jim_falconer

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor

• 501 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 01:23 PM

Adam-12
The Big Valley

#50 of 153 OFFLINE   ScottDombrowski

ScottDombrowski

Stunt Coordinator

• 196 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 24 2008 - 02:49 PM

Cheyenne
Flipper
The Big Valley
Green Acres
The Flying Nun
The Partridge Family
Alias Smith And Jones
McMillan And Wife
Adam-12
S.W.A.T.

#51 of 153 OFFLINE   Steve...O

Steve...O

Producer

• 3,293 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 03:37 PM

Mary Tyler Moore and The Bob Newhart Show

Wasn't The Lone Ranger set put together using syndication edits? If so, I consider that show to be unreleased. It really needs all the seasons to be released, including the John Hart season. He's still alive although I don't know what his health status is. It would be neat if, health permitting, he could do an interview if a collection were to be released.

Somebody mentioned Ironside. I don't think that's quite dead. Brian Ward at Shout said they just haven't scheduled Season 3 yet and not to assume that it is done.
Please help UCLA restore the Laurel & Hardy films: https://www.cinema.u...aurel-and-hardy

#52 of 153 OFFLINE   CoreyII

CoreyII

Second Unit

• 474 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 10:20 PM

I honestly don't know if this show has been abandoned or not, but I haven't anything about "The Practice" since volume one. And what of the fate of "Boston Public"???

#53 of 153 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,588 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 01:48 AM

Wow! In reading through these posts I'm getting a sense for just how big a problem this is. Far more shows have been abandoned or are in limbo than I imagined. I had only been following the dozen or so that I was disappointed in, but this is a much larger conundrum than I initially realized.

I sincerely hope guys in the position to do so will let the studios know that the consumers are really unhappy with these developments. I can understand a studio trying out 1 season of a show and if it doesn't sell abandoning it. I don't like it, but I can at least understand it. But how in the world can a studio like Fox put out 3 seasons of a show like "VOYAGE TO THE BOTTOM OF THE SEA" and then stop when there is only 1 season left?!!! That is truly despicable and I pray that the news we've gotten about this show being abandoned is somehow wrong. I can't express how much that angers me and how much it erodes consumer confidence.

Right now Paramount is pretty much the only studio that seems to be trying with TVonDVD. Frankly, I think the others have given up on vintage TV and are almost exclusively focusing on new shows unless they have a tie in with a movie. I just pray Paramount doesn't screw fans of older shows because things aren't getting released as quickly with these split seasons. It's taking twice as long to get "THE FUGITIVE" out as it did to get "THE WILD, WILD WEST" out simply because of this split season nonsense. My fear is that something will happen (economy takes a dive, industry dries up, etc) and some of these split seasons will not make it through to completion whereas they would have if they had been released as full season sets to begin with. It's an issue I worry about quite a bit, to be honest.

Gary "Fox really is earning bad marks for their abandonment issues" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#54 of 153 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 03:12 AM

As someone pointed out to me, it isn't merely Paramount DVD division pushing TVshowsondvd. Because of the corporate split, this is CBS DVD that's going overboard in getting titles on shiny discs. They know that their entire division relies on releasing their vault titles. Whereas the other studios DVD divisions rely on the latest blockbuster film. They don't have the incentive to go strong and work the vault.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary OS
Right now Paramount is pretty much the only studio that seems to be trying with TVonDVD. Frankly, I think the others have given up on vintage TV and are almost exclusively focusing on new shows unless they have a tie in with a movie. I just pray Paramount doesn't screw fans of older shows because things aren't getting released as quickly with these split seasons. It's taking twice as long to get "THE FUGITIVE" out as it did to get "THE WILD, WILD WEST" out simply because of this split season nonsense. My fear is that something will happen (economy takes a dive, industry dries up, etc) and some of these split seasons will not make it through to completion whereas they would have if they had been released as full season sets to begin with. It's an issue I worry about quite a bit, to be honest.

Gary "Fox really is earning bad marks for their abandonment issues" O.

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#55 of 153 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 04:56 AM

THE NAKED CITY
CHEYENNE
LEAVE IT TO BEAVER
HAVE GUN WILL TRAVEL

Hey, they're all black and white!
Charles Hoyt

#56 of 153 OFFLINE   Will_C

Will_C

Second Unit

• 271 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 05:12 AM

Alot of these I hadn't realized were being abandoned, but most I'm more than ready to finish completing my collection. I knew I wasn't the only one waiting on pins and needles for alot of these. The studios are really missing out on our buying dollars.

Hunter (still got 4 seasons and some TV movies to go)
Poltergeist: The Legacy (want to see the succubus episodes)
Adventures Of Sinbad (only one more season, had to order from Canada)
Street Justice (also only one more season, also from Canada)
Highway to Heaven (two more seasons)
Touched by an Angel (didn't know this one was abandoned yet, certain of that?)
Boy Meets World
NIGHT COURT
Simon and Simon
Hart to Hart
Growing Pains
WHO'S THE BOSS
Fall Guy (don't know this is abandoned, just maybe slow right now?)
Quincy (would love to finish this, but Universal QC is horrible, S1 dvds riddled with skips, jumps and freezes)
GI Joe (YO JOE! finish up this for 80's cartoon fans)
TJ Hooker (c'mon already, been almost 3 years since first set came out)
War of the Worlds

Would also like to see some shows out in R2 brought over here like 6MDM and Bionic Woman and completed, also M.A.S.K., Visionaries, Ulysses 31 and some other 80's cartoons.
Rick Hunter
USMC Force Recon Scout Sniper
"If you run, you'll only die tired."

#57 of 153 OFFLINE   Paul Miller

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor

• 567 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 05:38 AM

The Bob Newhart Show
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Huckleberry Hound

All because they were so close to being finished, I thought they would follow through on them eventually but they haven't to date.

#58 of 153 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,153 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 05:49 AM

Well, I have to say that my biggest disappointments are Mary Tyler Moore, and Bob Newhart.

Some close seconds would be McMillin and Wife, Quincy, Charlies Angels, SWAT, Baretta, Kojak, Partridge Family and Police Woman. I really, really wanted the entire run of each of those shows.

#59 of 153 OFFLINE   beatlejam

beatlejam

Stunt Coordinator

• 73 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 07:30 AM

NYPD Blue
Quincy
Hart to Hart
Mickey Spillane’s Mike Hammer (80's version....Sony only put out the pilot films)
Dream On
Rocky & Bullwinkle
Family

#60 of 153 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted March 25 2008 - 08:11 AM

has anyone released a boxset with nearly 70 DVDs?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

Forum Nav Content I Follow