-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Car re-release 5/6/08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 Van594

Van594

Stunt Coordinator

• 164 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 02:46 PM

I didn't see this mentioned yet, sorry if it has. Universal is re-releasing The Car on May 5th. According to Amazon it's supposed to be remastered.

I sold my original Anchor Bay for around $50 a couple years back. I might pick it up again.

#2 of 23 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,715 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 22 2008 - 03:10 PM

I love this movie but unless there's a big upgrade (which seems kinda unlikely), I'll just hang on to the Anchor Bay disc.

#3 of 23 Scott Temple

Scott Temple

Supporting Actor

• 535 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I love this movie but unless there's a big upgrade (which seems kinda unlikely), I'll just hang on to the Anchor Bay disc.

Remember though, the 1999 Anchor Bay disc has both, 2.35:1 (16x9) and 1.33:1 pan and scan on the same side of the disc. If this new release from Universal drops the pan and scan transfer, it should be an improvement in picture quality. The widescreen transfer on Anchor Bay's disc looks really, really good except for the last 10 minutes or so when it's not quite as sharp.

Gotta say, the cover art on Anchor Bay's release is a lot better. I'll be keeping my Anchor Bay disc and I'll probably be getting this new one too.

Posted Image
1999 Anchor Bay

Posted Image
2008 Universal
Lacey Chabert is so fetch!
My DVD, HD DVD, and Blu-ray Disc library

#4 of 23 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted March 24 2008 - 02:09 PM

I'm actually quite happy with my Anchor Bay disc so I won't be buying. However if Universal ever puts this on Blu-ray someday, I'll pick it up in a heartbeat. Posted Image
Recently watched- Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, The Walking Dead: Season 4

"That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'."

#5 of 23 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,050 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 24 2008 - 04:38 PM

i just sold mine for $40 ish

the cover is really bad.

"The Car
What Evil Drives..."

ugh
facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 23 Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted March 28 2008 - 11:02 AM

Doesn't the AB have 5.1?
Is it any good?
as the Universal only has surround (I have the R2 2005 Universal release).

Are you sure the top cover is the AB one?
It's exactly the same as my R2 Universal, print typeface, everything except the word evil is in Red (and it has the awful BBFC 12 logo spoiling the artwork bottom left)
Metal Damage, Brain Damage...Are you listening Bronze? I am the Nightrider. I'm a Fuel Injected Suicide Machine......

#7 of 23 Bob clamer

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor

• 651 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 04:05 AM

I remember as a kid just the movie poster scaring the h*ll out of me. I'd love to see a remastered version of this classic.

#8 of 23 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted April 29 2008 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph J.D
I'm actually quite happy with my Anchor Bay disc so I won't be buying. However if Universal ever puts this on Blu-ray someday, I'll pick it up in a heartbeat. Posted Image

I second the request for a Blu Ray of this. DVD Pacific has shipped my copy of this and I should have it by the weekend.

#9 of 23 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 04:00 AM

I received THE CAR in the mail yesterday and poped it in to watch a few minutes. It is a very good digitally remastered transfer; I really cannot remember the Anchor Bay version, but the new Universal version looks the best it ever has. The only extra is the Theatrical Trailer.

#10 of 23 Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,118 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted May 01 2008 - 06:00 AM

DVDbeaver posted a review of the new DVD of THE CAR and according to the review this new release is really good looking in the presentation department. I agree with the posts that the UNIVERSAL DVD cover is really really bad, I do like the Anchor Bay cover art more so... but at least they are re-releasing it.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 LG BD550 Region Free 
Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#11 of 23 Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 06:01 AM

more than the R2 Universal then which is bare bones :-(
Metal Damage, Brain Damage...Are you listening Bronze? I am the Nightrider. I'm a Fuel Injected Suicide Machine......

#12 of 23 Bradley-E

Bradley-E

Screenwriter

• 1,019 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 09:10 AM

The Car - James Brolin.

DVD BEAVER REVIEW

#13 of 23 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted May 01 2008 - 01:40 PM

Those screen captures in DVD Beaver's review look great. If the DVD looks that good, imagine what the eventual Blu-ray release will look like. Posted Image

Of course; if Universal simply duplicates the 2.0 sound on the BD without any other sound options, I'll have to keep my Anchor Bay disc as well.
Recently watched- Lost: Season 1, True Grit(2010), Tales From The Crypt: Season 1, 300: Rise Of An Empire 3D, Noah, Sin City, Phantom Of The Paradise, 300, The Final Terror, Willow, The Bank Job, One Hour Photo, Gone Baby Gone, Horrible Bosses, Buried, Escape Plan, Sudden Impact

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Lost: Season 2, Tales From The Crypt: Season 2, The Walking Dead: Season 4

"That there is one damn fine coat you're wearin'."

#14 of 23 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,704 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted May 01 2008 - 11:50 PM

Good deal! I've never seen this but I'm a fan of stuff like The Duel and Joyride. This sounds like a hoot and the images from Beaver look excellent. Joblo's review (click) for this is pretty good too. I'm all over it!

Thanks for posting about this. It even has Kim Richards. This will be a trip to watch. I can't wait!!
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

#15 of 23 Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate

Screenwriter

• 2,933 posts

Posted May 02 2008 - 01:28 AM

I'm all over this one, I love this movie. It was on the Chiller channel a couple of weeks ago and stopped cleaning just to watch the movie.
Listen Up People.., Rack Em and Pack Em.., We're Phantoms in 15.

#16 of 23 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 02 2008 - 01:38 AM

Now if i could just see Killdozer again!

#17 of 23 Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted May 02 2008 - 05:39 AM

Funny you should say that Rick as my DVD of The Car does sit right next to my DVD of Killdozer!!!

#18 of 23 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted May 02 2008 - 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn DuHast
Funny you should say that Rick as my DVD of The Car does sit right next to my DVD of Killdozer!!!

Dang, another title not available on R1. I have not seen that movie since i was a kid.

#19 of 23 Shawn DuHast

Shawn DuHast

Stunt Coordinator

• 142 posts

Posted May 02 2008 - 06:00 AM

It's not available anywhere including BT's - I know as it took me ages to get a resonable copy of it i.e. better than the 6th generation vhs copies on DVD on eBay.....

#20 of 23 Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,704 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted May 02 2008 - 11:52 AM

I just noticed both the Richards girls are in this. I would've loved that as a kid. Now it will just be a huge jolt of nostalgia in a completely unfamiliar film. That's priceless folks!

The clip on badmovies.org looks great! Rodeo crowd = beach crowd/car = shark. Neat! Much better than the stupid Giant Spider Invasion.
Silly Party Candidate:  Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

Forum Nav Content I Follow