Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Releasing the Last Season First

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Regulus

Regulus

Screenwriter

• 2,185 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 11:54 PM

Season 5 of Walker, Texas Ranger is slated to be released this summer. In a rather unusual move CBS actually released the FINAL season first, then released the other seasons! (IMO This may have been a Marketing Strategy, the final season of a show usually occurs after that show has "Jumped the Shark" and if someone wanted to see how well that series would sell, by releasing the Final Season, then seeing how well it sold, (As well as probably getting some flack from that show's fans Posted Image ) would then lead to a decision to release the earlier shows.)

Anyways has this "Last Season First" Strategy been used for any other TV Series? Or is "Walker" the lone exception? Posted Image

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,619( 727 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,363   :B)  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#2 of 6 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 8,959 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
Season 5 of Walker, Texas Ranger is slated to be released this summer. In a rather unusual move CBS actually released the FINAL season first, then releasing the other seasons! (IMO This may have been a Marketing Strategy, the final season of a show usually occurs after that show has "Jumped the Shark" and if someone wanted to see how well that series would sell, by releasing the Final Season, then seeing how well it sold, (As well as probably getting some flack from that show's fans Posted Image ) would then lead to a decision to release the earlier shows.)

Anyways has this "Last Season First" Strategy been used for any other TV Series? Or is "Walker" the lone exception? Posted Image
I bought Walker: The Final Season when it first came out. I then bought seasons 1-4. For me it would not have mattered which seasons were released first, as I would have purchased whatever was available from this series. I don't know of any other shows that were released in this fashion.
ockeghem2.jpg

#3 of 6 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,715 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 01:19 AM

could it have been a case that the final season was already mastered in HD and was therefore the easiest once to release on DVD?
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#4 of 6 Bonnie*F

Bonnie*F

Stunt Coordinator

• 227 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 09:27 AM

I don't know how common it is - Corey3rd's reason actually makes sense - but I know that Earth: Final Conflict had season 3 through 5 released back in 2003 while we are still waiting for Season 1 and 2. TVShowsonDVD.com has a news story that Universal (owners of S1 and S2) planning on releasing them started in July.
I had seen only the last episode of Season 1 since they re-aired it before the first episode of Season 2 so this will be the chance of seeing all the episodes that were referred to and never seen by me. Unfortunately, a friend didn't recommend it early enough for me to start any earlier. *grin*

#5 of 6 nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted March 22 2008 - 10:31 AM

1-800 Missing or Missing released season 2 and not released season 1 or 3, which I would love to own

#6 of 6 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,975 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted March 25 2008 - 08:47 AM

I'm starting to wish Fox had released the last season of Newhart first.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users