What's new

Monster Cable at it again. (1 Viewer)

troy evans

Screenwriter
Has anyone else here seen this bullshit: Monster Advanced For HDMI So, now we have "highspeed" HDMI. Man, anyone who falls for this has thier brain dial set to "stupid." Anyway, this gave me a laugh. When will Monster stop trying to rip off consumers?

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
I am brand new to HDMI and would like to not be one of the fools. So can you inform someone like me what would be considered the proper HDMI cables? Is spending more pointless?

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

HDMI is an all digital signal with proper error checking, so you either get the entire signal or you get a degraded signal that is quite evident, usually showing as massive sparkling on the display leading to no picture at all. Basically, an HDMI cable either works or it doesn't, you can't get a "better quality" picture from HDMI, unless "better quality" means watchable vs. unwatchable. Don't tell that to Monster, they don't like to hear it.

The "high speed" BS is more of the same. They allude to improvements in picture quality due to the "High Speed" capabilities of their $200+ cables, when the same capabilities can be built into a $10 cable.

For a good price on quality HDMI without breaking the bank, try Bettercables.com or Monoprice.com. You can equip your entire setup for less than the price of one Monster HDMI cable and have the same quality picture.

chuckg

Supporting Actor
Why oh why didn't HDMI just use a cat-5e ethernet cable with RJ-45 plugs? Heck, you can send data at over 100 Gb/s that way..... And, if HDMI was split into audio and video components over separate connections, we wouldn't have to figure out how to get sound to one box while picture goes to another...

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Well I think I ripped myself off. I bought a hdmi monster cable for $70. I truly had no idea I was paying too much. It's a rookie mistake I'm not making again.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

Don't blame yourself. I know people who have decades of time and hundreds of thousands of dollars invested in their A/V hobby who, even after being shown the irrefutable proof that HDMI is an all or nothing transport, still believe the hype (*cough* fraud *cough*) foisted by Monster and other (believe it or not) even more expensive "boutique" cable companies. Scary thought, but there are other companies out there whose marketing campaigns label Monster's prices as "entry level".

I guess that 1000%-5000% profit margin has to go somewhere. :crazy:

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
By the way Pete, don't buy into Monster's hype about "Digital" audio cables either. For digital coax, the SPDIF specifications were actually designed for a simple 75 Ohm yellow ended RCA video cable and for optical, I've used a $10 Walmart special for going on 10 years. This assumes a DD/DTS signal. PCM brings up concerns of jitter, which is a whole 'nother argument (and will bring the "golden ears" folks out like ants to a picnic ;)).

troy evans

Screenwriter
You wanted the best. There's no fault in that. Many people, when new to home theater, make this mistake. I did it myself. You spend money buying the best equipment you can and using the old "you get what you pay for" mentality you do the same with interconnects such as component, fiber optic and HDMI. Monster counts on the ignorance of new consumers. I believe they are the companies bread and butter. Once you know that the difference isn't there it's easy to make the right call. Not many newbies know this, though. That's the reason why this forum is so important. New consumers who come here first get the lay of the land and advice from some of the best. Recently, I read here that a test was done using coat hangers instead of wires( I believe for speakers) and audiophiles couldn't even tell the difference. Some people who would swear there is a difference in cables from Monster and other comparable cables from other companies are wrong. Some people believe if somethings more expensive it must be better. I know differently and now so do you. Welcome to the world of the HTF HDMI informed, my friend.

allprolab

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Pete
Yeah, live and learn. No biggy. I am happy to say all the optical audio cables I've bought were cheap ones. That makes me feel a bit better. Heh.

Mjorgensen

Grip
Real Name
Mark Jorgensen
Well each person has their own take on cables in general but I have been able to hear differences in cables when I have tried them back to back. Granted it was not a double blind test but the changes were there for me. The cheaper cables like the ones that come with the equipment were "dull" compared to better cables such as the Monsters. I have even been able to demo a couple super high end MIT and Transparent audio and video cables loaned to me by a store.

I could hear things different be it the sharpness of the voices or the sizzle of the high hat. There are even bass notes that are muddy with some, thin with others and then some that seem to get it just right.

People can argue all day about how cables are all the same and I for one believe there is a limit I am willing to pay for a cable for anything. The fact is though I "think" I an hear differences and if the cable is not too expensive for me I would buy it. The other reason I like nice cables is because this is also a hobby, the same way people buy polished aluminum parts for the car or fancy wheels. This just shows your taste and pride in your choices. It is not always about performance but choice.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There is a difference in the question asked (about HDMI) and speaker cables.

Did your blind test include switching back and forth from a high-end HDMI cable to an inexpensive one? That is a blind test that I’d be very surprised if the results were repeatable.

troy evans

Screenwriter
There are some conflicting points here. It's always about performance. If you're buying expensive cables based on how they look and not on how they perform, then you're wasting money. People shouldn't be able to see your cables in the first place. Having cables in clear view where everyone can see them would look like shit, no matter how pretty they are. I need my cables to do one thing, perform the best job transfering data from point A to point B. Lower cost cables that perform every bit as good as Monster will be my choice all the time. The money you save not buying Monster cables can be put towards something truely beneficial, like better speakers or a better receiver. Now, that's something that would make a hell of a difference in performance.

mylan

Screenwriter
I've been taken by Monster twice before I began reading,the first time it was a $100 fiber optic cable that promised to eliminate interference (its light folks, no RF or EMI) and the second it was a $100 HDMI cable. Yes, its built very well, so well in fact, that the heavy ends sometimes sag and come loose from the back of the TV. Both of these connections are digital and do not require the type of overbuild and shielding that Monster claims, just like The Who says, I won't get fooled again and to claim that you can hear a difference in most cables is just silly.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Whether it's Marketing, consumerism or psychology, sometimes we spend more on things just because it makes us feel better. The mind is a tricky thing and even if I know there isn't much of a difference in performance I'm willing to pay a bit more (but not a lot) for peace of mind. I certainly won't spend $100-150 on an HDMI or $75 on a fiber optic, but I'm not about to hook up my cherished equipment with the cheapest things I can find either. I try to find good quality at a fair price. Regardless of brand.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
What it shows is that you like the "jewelry" aspect of High End Audio, as in "Look at me! See how pretty my stuff is! See how much money I have to spend!"

I do wish people were more honest about this sort of thing, and admit that they're buying based on looks, without trying to claim "superior" performance.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Looks always play at least a small part in my decision when buying stuff. Mostly for quality reasons (it "looks" like it's made from better materials) but sometimes for appearance (my Swans put a smile on my face just by looking at 'em). And I've seen some cables that are so ugly I'd never buy them. Don't care how cheap they are or how well they perform. Don't want those things in my house! How's that for honesty :) .

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I was walking a fine line there and you just pushed me off it!
htf_images_smilies_banana.gif
(im-proper use of the banana but who gives a s#$%&) Besides, you only fixed the cause. The effect is still there. Or is it the other way around? :) . I'm so confused :confused: .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks