What's new

HIGH NOON on 6/10 from LionsGate? (1 Viewer)

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
As listed on DVDEmpire. No info except, "Number of Discs: 2".

Wow! This is a surprising month, Paramount and now LionsGate actually releasing catalog titles!!!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
This will hopefully be the latest restoration which was scheduled for release in R1 by Paramount nearly two years ago now - and which is fantastic - with all the extras from the old release, plus a new 50 minute documentary.

I may have to buy this for the fourth time...

willyTass

Supporting Actor
i have the region 4 edition in australia- the transfer is sharp with excellent grey scale and detail.

Strange how it took so long to get out in the US??

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I won't hold my breathe that this is an improved transfer.

The Quiet Man has been released multiple times from material far inferior to what exists in the vaults.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I finally got around to seeing High Noon. Great movie, but the DVD looked pretty mediocre. Not as bad as The Quiet Man, but if Lionsgate finally got Paramount to provide the new remaster, that bodes well for other Republic titles.

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit
Lionsgate has been releasing some damned good transfers of stuff they licensed from StudioCanal. Anyone who has seen their Renoir or Godard sets can attest to this. The problem with the crappy Republic titles in the past was that Lionsgate owned the distribution rights (inherited from Artisan), but Paramount owned the elements (inherited from Spelling).

Paramount refused to let Lionsgate use the film elements while they were waiting for Lionsgate's distribution rights to expire. Lionsgate was forced to recycle old transfers. Paramount intended to release the titles themselves as soon as they were legally able to. After announcing a few titles, however, they decided to sublicense the Republic library to Lionsgate after all, and promptly cancelled their announced titles. Lionsgate now has access to the original film elements of the Republic titles. I think they have proven that they are capable of releasing more than adequate editions when given the opportunity. I look forward to their upcoming High Noon set, and whatever other Republic titles they may have in the works.

C'mon Johnny Guitar!

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
This is one of my all-time favorite movies and I have to admit that I am one of the suckers that bought each of the Artisan releases. As it turns out the very first release was the one with the best picture quality (but it still paled in comparison to an average Warner/Fox transfer) and the subsequent releases only got worse. I am hoping that Lionsgate finally does justice to this classic with it's new 2-disc release.

-D

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson

Thanks for posting this information. I was not familiar with the intricate details of the Paramount/Lion's Gate partnership. This definitely changes my view on the situation. However, does anybody have any evidence that Lion's Gate has actually used this access to the materials? Just because they have access doesn't mean that they will use it. Sorry for being such a pessimist, but it's my job! :)

I second your call for "Johnny Guitar" along with new improved versions of "The Quiet Man" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Does anybody have a master list of all the films in the Republic library??

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Eric; I don't want to say too much, but I'm told from a source very close to this release that it will be using Paramount's impeccable restoration. I can't say more than that, and I believe that to be the case.

This list is out of date, but it will give you some idea of which Republic owned films Paramount have been working on.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
In that case my 1998 version will get retired.
One of the best - if not the best - Westerns.

Cees

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
Great news John!! You're going to try and make an optimist of me yet!

Three of the titles that I've been wanting most are in that list and I hope that new versions are coming soon - "Body and Soul", "Champion", & "Force of Evil"

It's hard to believe, but I'm starting to excited about films from Paramount's library!!

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor
Don't see The Quiet Man there, but they do show-

"Sun Shines Bright (1953)—Work in progress"

-which would be terrific. One of my favorite Fords.

Oh, and I've never seen High Noon, so sounds like I'm in for a treat.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Considering some of the more recent dvd "announcements" from e-tailers like Amazon which have turned out to be vaporware, (I'm looking at you "Whole Bloody Affair") I'd rather wait to see a genuine press release from Lions Gate before even thinking that this is actually happening.

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor
DVDEmpire does have cover-art for the new release and that is a good sign that this new release is more than just vaporware.

-D

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
yikes...

I'm sure the transfer should be greatly improved upon though so this is an almost certain purchase of one of my all-time favorite films! I'm looking forward to a full press release with more details...

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As everybody knows, I usually don't care about artwork and have participated in endless discussions about it, but even I have to say yikes.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks