-

Photo

HIGH NOON on 6/10 from LionsGate?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
76 replies to this topic

#1 of 77 OFFLINE   CineKarine

CineKarine

Supporting Actor

• 672 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 12:21 AM

As listed on DVDEmpire. No info except, "Number of Discs: 2".

Wow! This is a surprising month, Paramount and now LionsGate actually releasing catalog titles!!!
Sing your worries away, smile, be kind and accentuate the positive!
DVD wish list: The Accused (48), Margie (46), I'll Get By (50), The Constant Nymph (43), The Voice of the Turtle (47), The Barretts of Wimpole Street (34), Her Twelve Men (54), The Lost Moment (47), I Walk Alone (48), The Glass...

#2 of 77 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,452 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted March 18 2008 - 01:58 AM

This will hopefully be the latest restoration which was scheduled for release in R1 by Paramount nearly two years ago now - and which is fantastic - with all the extras from the old release, plus a new 50 minute documentary.

I may have to buy this for the fourth time...
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#3 of 77 OFFLINE   willyTass

willyTass

Second Unit

• 353 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 02:53 AM

i have the region 4 edition in australia- the transfer is sharp with excellent grey scale and detail.

Strange how it took so long to get out in the US??

#4 of 77 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 04:59 AM

I won't hold my breathe that this is an improved transfer.

The Quiet Man has been released multiple times from material far inferior to what exists in the vaults.

#5 of 77 ONLINE   Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart

Lead Actor

• 7,471 posts
  • LocationAlpharetta, GA, USA

Posted March 18 2008 - 06:26 AM

I finally got around to seeing High Noon. Great movie, but the DVD looked pretty mediocre. Not as bad as The Quiet Man, but if Lionsgate finally got Paramount to provide the new remaster, that bodes well for other Republic titles.

#6 of 77 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,452 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Peterson
I won't hold my breathe that this is an improved transfer.

I'm reliably informed that it is; fans are in for a real treat.
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#7 of 77 OFFLINE   Jeff Newcomb

Jeff Newcomb

Second Unit

• 279 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 11:42 AM

Lionsgate has been releasing some damned good transfers of stuff they licensed from StudioCanal. Anyone who has seen their Renoir or Godard sets can attest to this. The problem with the crappy Republic titles in the past was that Lionsgate owned the distribution rights (inherited from Artisan), but Paramount owned the elements (inherited from Spelling).

Paramount refused to let Lionsgate use the film elements while they were waiting for Lionsgate's distribution rights to expire. Lionsgate was forced to recycle old transfers. Paramount intended to release the titles themselves as soon as they were legally able to. After announcing a few titles, however, they decided to sublicense the Republic library to Lionsgate after all, and promptly cancelled their announced titles. Lionsgate now has access to the original film elements of the Republic titles. I think they have proven that they are capable of releasing more than adequate editions when given the opportunity. I look forward to their upcoming High Noon set, and whatever other Republic titles they may have in the works.

C'mon Johnny Guitar!

#8 of 77 OFFLINE   Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 01:38 PM

This is one of my all-time favorite movies and I have to admit that I am one of the suckers that bought each of the Artisan releases. As it turns out the very first release was the one with the best picture quality (but it still paled in comparison to an average Warner/Fox transfer) and the subsequent releases only got worse. I am hoping that Lionsgate finally does justice to this classic with it's new 2-disc release.

-D

#9 of 77 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 12:26 AM

Paramount refused to let Lionsgate use the film elements while they were waiting for Lionsgate's distribution rights to expire. Lionsgate was forced to recycle old transfers. Paramount intended to release the titles themselves as soon as they were legally able to. After announcing a few titles, however, they decided to sublicense the Republic library to Lionsgate after all, and promptly cancelled their announced titles. Lionsgate now has access to the original film elements of the Republic titles. I think they have proven that they are capable of releasing more than adequate editions when given the opportunity. I look forward to their upcoming High Noon set, and whatever other Republic titles they may have in the works.

C'mon Johnny Guitar!

Thanks for posting this information. I was not familiar with the intricate details of the Paramount/Lion's Gate partnership. This definitely changes my view on the situation. However, does anybody have any evidence that Lion's Gate has actually used this access to the materials? Just because they have access doesn't mean that they will use it. Sorry for being such a pessimist, but it's my job! Posted Image

I second your call for "Johnny Guitar" along with new improved versions of "The Quiet Man" and "Invasion of the Body Snatchers"

Does anybody have a master list of all the films in the Republic library??

#10 of 77 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,452 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 12:55 AM

Eric; I don't want to say too much, but I'm told from a source very close to this release that it will be using Paramount's impeccable restoration. I can't say more than that, and I believe that to be the case.

This list is out of date, but it will give you some idea of which Republic owned films Paramount have been working on.
Film Journal Blog

#11 of 77 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,640 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 02:02 AM

In that case my 1998 version will get retired.
One of the best - if not the best - Westerns.

Cees

#12 of 77 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 02:14 AM

Great news John!! You're going to try and make an optimist of me yet!

Three of the titles that I've been wanting most are in that list and I hope that new versions are coming soon - "Body and Soul", "Champion", & "Force of Evil"

It's hard to believe, but I'm starting to excited about films from Paramount's library!!

#13 of 77 OFFLINE   Jim Peavy

Jim Peavy

Supporting Actor

• 717 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hodson
This list is out of date, but it will give you some idea of which Republic owned films Paramount have been working on.
Don't see The Quiet Man there, but they do show-

"Sun Shines Bright (1953)—Work in progress"

-which would be terrific. One of my favorite Fords.

Oh, and I've never seen High Noon, so sounds like I'm in for a treat.
"I just pre-ordered I DRINK YOUR BLOOD, even though I have no job."

#14 of 77 OFFLINE   Lord Dalek

Lord Dalek

Screenwriter

• 2,120 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 05:58 AM

Considering some of the more recent dvd "announcements" from e-tailers like Amazon which have turned out to be vaporware, (I'm looking at you "Whole Bloody Affair") I'd rather wait to see a genuine press release from Lions Gate before even thinking that this is actually happening.

#15 of 77 OFFLINE   Deepak Shenoy

Deepak Shenoy

Supporting Actor

• 648 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 12:01 PM

DVDEmpire does have cover-art for the new release and that is a good sign that this new release is more than just vaporware.

-D

#16 of 77 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 02:46 AM

yikes...

Posted Image

I'm sure the transfer should be greatly improved upon though so this is an almost certain purchase of one of my all-time favorite films! I'm looking forward to a full press release with more details...

#17 of 77 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,646 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 20 2008 - 02:53 AM

As everybody knows, I usually don't care about artwork and have participated in endless discussions about it, but even I have to say yikes.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#18 of 77 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 08:23 AM

Sold !!!
Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#19 of 77 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,452 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford
As everybody knows, I usually don't care about artwork and have participated in endless discussions about it, but even I have to say yikes.

I'll second that yikes. Can't wait to see 'Attack of the 100ft Gunfighter' though...
Film Journal Blog

#20 of 77 OFFLINE   DanMel

DanMel

Second Unit

• 321 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 11:45 AM

That is a very nice cover for the new High Noon SE release. It looks a hell of a lot better than that orginal artwork garbage from back when the movie came out:

http://www.moviegood....287.1020.A.jpg

Forum Nav Content I Follow