-

Photo
- - - - -

M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs" (Blu-ray)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
60 replies to this topic

#1 of 61 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 01:49 AM

I know that I´m probably in minority on this one, but I love this film. Great news! Posted Image

The Digital Bits - Celebrating Film in the Digital Age
"On the Blu-ray front, Buena Vista will also release M. Night Shyamalan's Signs in June"

#2 of 61 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,513 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 17 2008 - 01:54 AM

Why would you be in the minority? I think its his best film.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 61 Bleddyn Williams

Bleddyn Williams

Supporting Actor

• 974 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 02:08 AM

I do too. Would love a good HD version of this one.

#4 of 61 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,213 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Probably from some older threads etc, but good to hear that. For me, "Signs" was the film that kinda helped to erase the ugly memory of "ID4".. In some ways it was also better than "War of the Worlds (2005)" (which I still liked, though).

#5 of 61 TwoKings

TwoKings

Stunt Coordinator

• 87 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 03:11 AM

nice! My favorite film of his as well.

#6 of 61 Thornhill

Thornhill

Stunt Coordinator

• 143 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 03:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Crawford

Ditto! I love this movie! Had me on the edge of my seat when I saw it opening night back in '02. Can't wait for the Blu-ray! Great news! Posted Image
My HT Setup:
 Fronts: B & W DM603 S3  Rears: B & W DM602 S3  Center: B & W LCR600 S3  Sub Woofer: SVS PB-2 PLUS                                                                                                                                  

#7 of 61 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,522 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 04:24 AM

This is my second favorite of his films, right behind Unbreakable (also coming to HD Posted Image). It's definitely the best "alien invasion" movie of the last ten (or more) years.

How was the previous SD DVD release with respect to extras? I don't remember it having that many so I would expect to see them all carried over.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#8 of 61 ppltd

ppltd

Producer

• 3,044 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 04:29 AM

Sorry guys, but I can not agree on this one. After 'The Sixth Sense', IMHO M. Night has been on a steady decline. Signs is not a film I could get even mildly excited about. I actually liked his very slow moving "Unbraekable' better. But I am glad to see it announced. It should prove to be another fine BD release from Buena Vista.
Thomas Eisenmann(Last updated 09/30/11)

Blu-Ray Collection  DVD Collection, Numerous BD players,

LG 55LX6500 55-Inch 3D 1080p 240 Hz LED

Pioneer VSX-94TXH, Panasonic PT-AE7000U 3D 1080p (PT-AE8000 Just Ordered, 

1124 BDs and going up, 1028 - DVDs and going down.

#9 of 61 BrettB

BrettB

Producer

• 3,024 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 04:50 AM

Bring it on! Posted Image

#10 of 61 TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,089 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 17 2008 - 04:58 AM

i don't need the village,
wide awake or lady in the water ut i'll take all the others in hd as soon as they are for sale.
facebook.com/whotony

#11 of 61 Grant H

Grant H

Screenwriter

• 2,844 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 05:35 AM

This should give Disney the opportunity to make up for the horrid-looking DVD release. The macroblocking in the walls when they were holed up was so bad it looked like a special effect.

I liked the film initially, but each time I watch it I find Gibson a little worse. Maybe someone like Dennis Quaid (or even David Duchovny) would have been more appealing to me.

Still, if it's cheap enough at some point I may pick it up just because the DVD is nearly unwatchable at points. I'll likely get Unbreakable as well, which I believe is better as well, albeit "deliberately" paced. I still think he should have completed that trilogy instead of wasting time on The Village and Lady in the Water.
My midis bring all the Force to the yard; my midis are better than yours!

#12 of 61 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,513 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 17 2008 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
Sorry guys, but I can not agree on this one. After 'The Sixth Sense', IMHO M. Night has been on a steady decline. Signs is not a film I could get even mildly excited about. I actually liked his very slow moving "Unbraekable' better. But I am glad to see it announced. It should prove to be another fine BD release from Buena Vista.
Why are you sorry? Film is subjective so differences of film appreciation are expected.

Crawdaddy

#13 of 61 Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,662 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 05:54 AM

Happy for the fans of the film, and I'm glad to see Buena Vista releasing more catalog titles; but like Thomas I'll pass. One of the bigger theatrical viewing disappointments that I recall.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#14 of 61 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 06:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppltd
I have to agree with this sentiment. I think M. Night's films are absolutely awful now, and don't understand how he still continues to get money to produce new ones (let alone why big name stars want to appear in them)?

I'm not a big fan of Signs, but think it was his last semi-decent film, but Unbreakable and (especially) The Sixth Sense was much better.

#15 of 61 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
I know that I´m probably in minority on this one, but I love this film. Great news! Posted Image

Now I'm almost 100% sure that I'm in the minority to say that I loved "The Village"!!!
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#16 of 61 David Wilkins

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
Now I'm almost 100% sure that I'm in the minority to say that I loved "The Village"!!!

I didn't mind it. In fact, I was rather fond of it until the revelation
about it taking place in present day,
which left some very large holes in the plausibility.

It would have been more interesting and more workable if she had emerged into, perhaps...the 1930's to 1950's. Mechanized and advanced, without the questions left from current day access to technology, and a shrinking world.
But I liked the way the story played until the last chapter. In spite of the last chapter, I didn't hate it the way most people seemed to. It just wanted a bit too much artistic license.

#17 of 61 Tino

Tino

Producer

• 5,221 posts
  • LocationMetro NYC

Posted March 17 2008 - 11:23 AM

whoa....watch those village spoilers david....
It's gonna be a hell of a ride. I'm ready. .

#18 of 61 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

Studio Mogul

• 24,513 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 17 2008 - 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tino
whoa....watch those village spoilers david....
Indeed, let's not assume everybody has seen this director's films including his most famous films.

Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy

#19 of 61 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 11:45 AM

I really loved Signs and I think its his best film. It's the only one of his that I own, mainly because it doesn't rely quite so heavily on a major twist. The twist is character based rather than plot based, so I find the film to be more watchable on repeat viewings.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

#20 of 61 Douglas Monce

Douglas Monce

Producer

• 5,514 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F
I have to agree with this sentiment. I think M. Night's films are absolutely awful now, and don't understand how he still continues to get money to produce new ones (let alone why big name stars want to appear in them)?

I'm not a big fan of Signs, but think it was his last semi-decent film, but Unbreakable and (especially) The Sixth Sense was much better.

He keeps getting money because his films aren't hugely expensive to make, and they do very well at the boxoffice.

Doug
"I'm in great shape, for the shape I'm in."
Bob Hope in The Ghostbreakers

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow