• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Elena S

Elena S

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 528 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 12:52 PM

I see on the TVSODVD site that Roxbury is releasing the complete first season of Route 66 in May, featuring videographies of the cast and all commercials intact. This begs the question: Will they get it right this time??

#2 of 52 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena S
This begs the question: Will they get it right this time??

I'd speculate and say no; this will probably be just a repackaging of what already has been released . . . . . certainly the extras that are included appear to be the same as the two split volumes. But, who knows, maybe Roxbury/Infinity will redeem themselves with this full season release . . . . . I'm not holding my breath. It's interesting to note at Infinity's web site that they include aspect ratios for all of their "Route 66" DVD releases, EXCEPT for the complete season 1.

Infinity Entertainment Group

Critics Choice Video is the first of the major online stores that I've seen to list it in their catalog; I suspect that DeepDiscount and Amazon won't be far behind.

Critic's Choice Video

#3 of 52 Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 05:20 AM

I think the real question is: what about Season 2, Volume 1. What will we get this time? They could get it right, but I don't expect much of Roxbury/Infinity anymore.

#4 of 52 Mike*HTF

Mike*HTF

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 764 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 08:12 AM

I recently emailed Infinity to ask them whether the complete first season would be in the proper OAR. Literally minutes ago, I just received the following reply:

Quote:
The Complete Season 1 will be in 4x3. We remastered Volume 2 for that purpose.

I'm not sure if I'm relieved or not - while it sounds hopeful that they recognized the faux widescreen issues for the complete first season, I'm not sure what he meant by "we remastered volume 2 for that purpose." Unless I'm misunderstanding something here, that was the one with the ratio problems...

#5 of 52 Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 14,836 posts
  • LocationNorth Texas

Posted March 17 2008 - 08:23 AM

It sounds like he's just saying they fixed it. "Remastered" may not be the best choice of words, but I think that's what he's getting at. I suppose no one will relax until the set is out and OAR is confirmed, but it'll be nice to see a company respond to complaints.

It would have been pretty lame to buy a Complete set and have it switch to fauxscreen midway through.

#6 of 52 Regulus

Regulus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 08:47 AM

1 1/2 Seasons Down, 1 1/2 to go before I buy this set. (I Always buy sets in minimum Groups of 3, since not only is it cheaper, but I get more than a Years worth of TV at a Time. ( 24+ Episodes X3 = 72 Weeks! Posted Image )

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,094 ( 703 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,363  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#7 of 52 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulus
1 1/2 Seasons Down, 1 1/2 to go before I buy this set. (I Always buy sets in minimum Groups of 3, since not only is it cheaper, but I get more than a Years worth of TV at a Time. ( 24+ Episodes X3 = 72 Weeks! Posted Image )

I thought you were counting down the end of the Buz era. I'm really not much a fan of Linc episodes.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#8 of 52 Regulus

Regulus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 01:26 PM

^^ I'll most likely get all Episodes if they become available. (Knock on Wood!)

DVD Collection Inventory: TV Episodes - 33,094 ( 703 Series ) :biggrin: Movies - 2,363  :biggrin:  Serial Chapters - 1,102 :B)

#9 of 52 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 07:51 PM

If they redid season one right I would buy it in a hearbeat. But I'll wait and see the reviews first. I don't trust these people any more.

#10 of 52 michael_ks

michael_ks

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 02:04 AM

If we were to receive 100% unedited, uncropped and remastered episodes (the "no-brainer" that Roxbury/Infinity should have abided by to start with, a la Paramount releases) I'd be there too. But that won't be the case.

#11 of 52 ToddR2

ToddR2

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 04:23 PM

Ditto Michael's post. I'd gladly rebuy the episodes if done correctly. Dunno if this'll happen, though.

#12 of 52 Bob Hug

Bob Hug

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,760 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 04:48 AM

Deep Discount is now showing the complete season 1 set listed for $30.74. "Special Features" tab indicates full frame.

Drama - Route 66 the Series - The Complete First Season Not Rated / Infinity Entertainment Group / DVD

Nothing showing yet for season 2, volume 1.

#13 of 52 Gary OS

Gary OS

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hug
Deep Discount is now showing the complete season 1 set listed for $30.74. "Special Features" tab indicates full frame.

As always, I can count on Bob to be the first to find pre-orders for us. Thanks, buddy.

I'll buy this set if (and I think it's a big, big if) we get full frame for all the episodes. But I will have to read about it from someone else first because I'm not buying it just to check this out.

Gary "it would be really nice to have corrections with this full season release - but I'm not holding my breath" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN ON TREASURE ISLAND

#14 of 52 Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,358 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted March 20 2008 - 11:38 AM

I would get this one if the V1 set is remastered xfrs. I'll also wait for some reviews here on this one.

Jeff "Ditto on Gary's plug for Bob H. Thanks!" W.

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#15 of 52 Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic

Actually... anxious

• PipPipPip
  • 1,141 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in Florida

Posted March 21 2008 - 01:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis
I would get this one if the V1 set is remastered xfrs. I'll also wait for some reviews here on this one.

I posted a comment to Ron on the Route 66 web page to the effect:

"Can you possibly confirm from Kirk Hallam whether the Season 1 set of “Route 66″ to be released in May will correct some of the issues on the half-season sets: most notably, re-mastered or better picture quality for Volume 1, and maintaining the original 4:3 aspect ratio for Volume 2 (dropping the fake widescreen). These steps would go a long way to restore fans' confidence in Roxbury’s treatment of this landmark show and, to our economic detriment and Roxbury’s profit, probably compel us to purchase this complete set to replace our half-season sets."

It would be pretty low if this whole charade was a ruse to get fans to double-dip in the first place, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to basic cluelessness.

#16 of 52 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywoodaholic
I posted a comment to Ron on the Route 66 web page to the effect:

"Can you possibly confirm from Kirk Hallam whether the Season 1 set of “Route 66″ to be released in May will correct some of the issues on the half-season sets: most notably, re-mastered or better picture quality for Volume 1, and maintaining the original 4:3 aspect ratio for Volume 2 (dropping the fake widescreen). These steps would go a long way to restore fans' confidence in Roxbury’s treatment of this landmark show and, to our economic detriment and Roxbury’s profit, probably compel us to purchase this complete set to replace our half-season sets."

It would be pretty low if this whole charade was a ruse to get fans to double-dip in the first place, but I will give them the benefit of the doubt and chalk it up to basic cluelessness.

You forget the most important fix for the first set, correcting the episode that's cut by 5 minutes. To me, that's a thousand times more important than any other issues with that se.

#17 of 52 Guy Foulard

Guy Foulard

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted April 17 2008 - 10:06 AM

From Classicflix.com:

**Infinity Entertainment** has informed retailers that Route 66 - Season 2, Vol. 1 and Route 66 Season 1 - Complete Collection have been indefinitely postponed.

Wonder what's up? Is this a good (transfers being fixed) or bad (the whole series being dumped) sign? Bad, I'm assuming.

#18 of 52 Chas_Michael

Chas_Michael

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted April 17 2008 - 01:48 PM

or, worst case scenario: they are hanging their heads in shame and have decided that if they put a corrected season 1 out there will be an outcry of foul play with most everyone demanding a replacement. So they cancelled the whole shebang. Best case scenario: they are redeeming themselves and are correcting their mistakes with a brand new correct aspect ratio from the pristine 35mm prints remastered to perfection Season 1 box and a replacement program.

#19 of 52 Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,715 posts

Posted April 17 2008 - 04:22 PM

I'm betting that their Route 66 film got put into turnaround and they've decided it's not worth the effort to put out the DVDs to build up the hype.
come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#20 of 52 Hank Dearborn

Hank Dearborn

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted April 17 2008 - 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd
I'm betting that their Route 66 film got put into turnaround and they've decided it's not worth the effort to put out the DVDs to build up the hype.

I'm not going to speculate about the DVD releases but I'd bet my whole collection that their movie idea never gets close to getting off the ground.

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow