• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 03:42 PM

No. I am not talking about dinosaurs like Jurassic Park. But, animlas such a mammoths, Irish Elk, Tasmanian Wolves, etc. I have heard about efforts to bring back mammoths using dna from frozen carcassas in Siberia. Just curious if this is a pipedream or could it be possible? And if they find usable dna. How do they do it?
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#2 of 23 RickER

RickER

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 15 2008 - 04:52 PM

I think i read for Mammoths, is they would use elephants. They would introduce the DNA into the egg, or some such thing. After a few generations of building up the DNA strands they would have a Mammoth. Thats about as short an answer i could make. Posted Image

#3 of 23 BrettV

BrettV

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 06:16 PM

The animals went extinct for a reason.

I'm scared where science is going.

#4 of 23 Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 12,060 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by todd s
... I have heard about efforts to bring back mammoths using dna from frozen carcassas in Siberia....
Any source for this Todd? I'm skeptical, but I'd like to check out the reasoning before spouting off.
¡Time is not my master!

#5 of 23 KurtEP

KurtEP

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lew Crippen
Any source for this Todd? I'm skeptical, but I'd like to check out the reasoning before spouting off.

Wooly Mammoth To Live Again?, Japanese Scientists Announce Plans To Clone Prehistoric DNA - CBS News

I imagine it's only a matter of time. Of course, some animals may, as noted above, be extinct for a reason. Some have speculated that the atmosphere has changed significantly enough since the days of the dinosaurs that they would be unable to breathe well today. If true, that might preclude a Jurassic Park sort of thing.
Lay down your law books now, they're no damned good -- The Eagles

#6 of 23 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 01:14 AM

I have a similar question: If scientists were to clone a dead person, lets say King Tut, what would the birth certificate be like? Parents are Mr. and Mrs. Tut, or do they use the surrogate mother?

And what if they clone dead royalty in a country that still has a Noble class? Do resurected dead kinds supercede current living ones?
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#7 of 23 Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 01:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtEP
Wooly Mammoth To Live Again?, Japanese Scientists Announce Plans To Clone Prehistoric DNA - CBS News

I imagine it's only a matter of time. Of course, some animals may, as noted above, be extinct for a reason. Some have speculated that the atmosphere has changed significantly enough since the days of the dinosaurs that they would be unable to breathe well today. If true, that might preclude a Jurassic Park sort of thing.

Assuming that dinosaurs could be brought back in some fashion, the hope would be that they could acquire some immunity from present day bacteria from their surrogate "mother" -- in this case an ostrich. As for the atmosphere: it's probably "cleaner" now than in the latter years of the Creataceous Period when the dinos of that era had to survive with volcanic ash in the air.

BTW, if dinos were to be brought back at some point, probably the only ones that would have a chance of surviving would be the ones that were alive in the Creataceous Period. This would include the T-REX, Velociraptors, Triceratops, and (possibly) Iquanodons. This is mostly due to food source changes rather than atmospheric conditions.
Joseph
---------------

#8 of 23 BrianW

BrianW

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,550 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 03:15 AM

Quote:
As for the atmosphere: it's probably "cleaner" now than in the latter years of the Creataceous Period when the dinos of that era had to survive with volcanic ash in the air.
Atmospheric conditions involve more than just the amount of “pollutants”. While it's true that there were periods with nasty things in the atmosphere like volcanic ash and sulphur, oxygen levels have also varied through the ages. Some eras before the Cretaceous period had a lot more oxygen in the atmosphere than we have now, allowing much larger creatures to exist. Double the height of an animal, and its lung surface area is quadrupled, but the number of cells requiring oxygen is about ten to twelve times as much for land animals. The same goes for lung-less creatures, like insects, whose intake of oxygen is roughly proportional to their surface area. Their oxygen requirements are multiplied by eight for every doubling of their length.

So a very large dinosaur (or insect) would not survive in our atmosphere.

As for recently extinct creatures like mammoths and Tasmanian tigers (which became extinct only a generation ago), I don't think there are any environmental or atmospheric reasons they couldn't survive today.
Quote:
According to Larry Niven, the reason the dinosaurs went extinct is because they didn't have a space program.
-Brian
Come, Rubidia. Let's blow this epoch.

#9 of 23 Glenn Overholt

Glenn Overholt

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 4,207 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 05:08 AM

Yep, I can see it now. They clone some dinosaur and later it hatches some eggs. When the eggs break open, out pops a dodo bird! Posted Image

Glenn

#10 of 23 JeremyErwin

JeremyErwin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,219 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettV

Bad luck, more likely. Some off them had the bad luck to be hunted to extinction.

#11 of 23 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettV

I'm scared where science is going.

I personally don't understand this line of reasoning.....It's not the Mammoth's fault that they went extinct, the ice age simply made food scarce and caused them to starve out of existence. We are no longer in an ice age. Perhaps we should take the initiative and try to give some of these animals a second chance at life. God knows we've killed off enough species throughout our history. Maybe not dinosaurs though: we don't need those things running around eating or trampling over us. Posted Image
Recently watched- Arrow: Season 1, The Road, Hanna, The Rock, Fist Of Legend, 48 Hrs., Psycho III, Predator 3D, Gravity 3D, G.I. Joe: Retaliation 3D, The Monster Club, Death Valley, The Edge, Night Of The Comet, The Lone Ranger(2013), Beauty and The Beast: Season 1, Badlands, White House Down, Psycho II

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3, Beauty and The Beast: Season 2

"Class isn't something you buy. Look at you, you've got a 500 dollar suit on and you're still a low life."

#12 of 23 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 9,306 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 07:28 AM

I suspect these cloned animals wouldn't be much more than curiosities, anyway - are there enough viable mammoth DNA samples, for instance, that there would be a sustainable breeding population if they were just let loose in Siberia?
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#13 of 23 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 06:07 AM

We need more corporate sponsers...

"Kentucky Fried Dodo"
"McMammoth"

Posted Image

Seriously, like I said before. I am not talking about dinosaurs. Just the more recent animals. Especially, the ones humans made extinct.
Bring back John Doe! Or at least resolve the cliff-hanger with a 2hr movie or as an extra on a dvd release.

#14 of 23 Garrett Lundy

Garrett Lundy

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,764 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 09:38 AM

Will the tazmanian wolf replace the cockapoo as the latest abomination to be a celebrity pet-du-jour? Only time will tell.
"Did you know that more people are murdered at 92 degrees Fahrenheit than any other temperature? I read an article once. Lower temperatures, people are easy-going, over 92 and it's too hot to move, but just 92, people get irritable."

#15 of 23 Joe S.

Joe S.

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 196 posts
  • LocationBoulder, CO

Posted March 19 2008 - 05:18 AM

As mentioned above, it would be very, very hard to get a large enough genepool going to make an extinct species viable again. I would think that bringing back certain creatures like Wooly Mammoths would (and should) be done just to observe them and see "how they went about their business." Sort of like peering into history to see how they looked and lived. Even under the best of conditions, I doubt they could be reintroduced into the wild and thrive. They would be anomolies, but valuable ones to be sure.

The only way I could see anything beyond that would be if some sort of species was driven to extinction by man's hand and the ecosystem was thrown fatally out of whack. Like if polar bears went extinct and 100 years from now we figured out how to bring back the polar ice caps. Reintroducing the polar bear might actually help that exposed ecosystem get back on its feet alot quicker. Of course, that's a grossly hypothetical situation involving a metric ton of "ifs".

Sometimes science just sounds scary and it's not. Posted Image I worry much more about genetic research on viruses and someone accidentally creating an airborne AIDS or such...

#16 of 23 ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 3,729 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 05:31 AM

There are a lot of frozen mammoth samples available — mammoth ivory is relatively available in the market (not being subject to the elephant-ivory bans) and I recall reading that some time back there was a banquet of paleontologists or some such at which the main dish was mammoth meat. Due to chemical degradation, it would be very difficult to find a complete genome in any one sample, but it seems much more possible to piece together genomes, maybe enough for a viable population.

As to why, we might note that Indian elephants are widely used as draught animals in southern Asia, particularly in terrains where tractors &c. don't work properly (and they don't burn oil, either). It might be possible to employ mammoths for the same purpose in Siberia, where the cold swampy terrain has proven quite hostile to agriculture and other human uses. It's also worth noting that there were island populations of pygmy mammoths, & there would have to be a certain "cool factor" about a hairy elephant the size of a Shetland pony. Posted Image

Oh, and don't worry about the polar bears. They're in no particular danger, given that they must have survived the Medieval Climatic Optimum and before that the height of the interglacial, when global temperatures were significantly higher than they are now, & the ice coverage significantly less. The Greenland ice still hasn't receded to anything like its limits in 1200 AD. Of course, the people in northern Canada won't be thrilled (Churchill Ontario is essentially besieged by bears every year even now), but it's not a high-population-density area anyway.

#17 of 23 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted March 04 2009 - 03:41 AM

Just bumping my thread for 2 reasons...One is that I was wondering if any progress has been made in the Mammoth or Tazmanian Wolf dna recovery? Also, I just saw 10,000 BC and the only cool thing in the movie was the extinct animals they showed (Mammoth's, Sabretooth Tiger and some giant ass chicken bird.) . The Irish Elk would be cool too bring back. Man that thing was big.

On a side note. Does anyone know if scientists are harvesting sperm and eggs from animals that are near extinction now? In the hopes that if they do go extinct we have samples to bring them back when technology permits.

#18 of 23 Bob McLaughlin

Bob McLaughlin

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts

Posted March 04 2009 - 07:15 AM

Bringing back extinct threads?

There is a global seed vault in Norway but that's just for plants.
"I'LL SHOW YOU THE LIFE OF THE MIND!!!" - Barton Fink

#19 of 23 todd s

todd s

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 6,807 posts

Posted March 04 2009 - 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob McLaughlin
Bringing back extinct threads?

There is a global seed vault in Norway but that's just for plants.

Where do you think I got this thread?...From the global old thread vault in Ron's basement. Posted Image

#20 of 23 Jay Taylor

Jay Taylor

Advanced Member

• PipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • LocationOklahoma City

Posted March 05 2009 - 06:38 AM

Here's an interesting article from November 25, 2008 on Cloning the Woolly Mammoth:

Cloning the Woolly Mammoth
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic." - Arthur C. Clarke

Back to After Hours Lounge

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow