Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Batman Begins - Blu-ray - 7/8/08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#1 of 24 Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,074 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 14 2008 - 06:12 AM

Should be a big seller.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 24 Chuck Mayer

Chuck Mayer

Lead Actor

• 7,966 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 06:51 AM

To rebuy on BD??? That is the question. This was the movie that sold me an HD-DVD player in Fall 2006. And it served me faithfully.

Based on what the release entails, I am game. New transfer, good enough. New extras, good enough Posted Image

It won't take much.
Hey buddy...did you just see a real bright light?

#3 of 24 Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 07:00 AM

For consistency's sake, if you want both films, plus any future releases or the previous four, your only HD choice is Blu-ray.
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#4 of 24 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 14 2008 - 07:18 AM

Count me in, but even more so for the "anime" Batman on Blu-ray, the same day.

#5 of 24 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blackow
For consistency's sake, if you want both films, plus any future releases or the previous four, your only HD choice is Blu-ray.
Good for my wallet that I'm not terribly worried about consistency. Posted Image
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#6 of 24 Joseph J.D

Joseph J.D

Screenwriter

• 2,686 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 02:59 PM

I'm definitely in for this one.....double-dipping for this one from the DVD was never a question for me. I'll get the limited edition set. Posted Image
Recently watched- Basic Instinct 2, Taken 2, Maverick(1994), After Earth, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo(2009), The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug 3D, The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey EE 3D, Star Wars: Return Of The Jedi, Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back, Star Wars: A New Hope, Star Wars: Revenge Of The Sith, Star Wars: Attack Of The Clones

Currently watching- Planet Earth, The Twilight Zone: Season 1, Cheers: Season 6, True Blood: Season 2, Gatchaman: The Complete Series, Simon & Simon: Season 3

"If this is to end in fire...then we will all burn together."

#7 of 24 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,173 posts

Posted March 14 2008 - 10:43 PM

I have this on HD DVD, but count me in for the "Gift set":

"..includes a Batman Begins motion art lenticular, exclusive photos, script pages, storyboards, five collectible Batman Begins postcards and $7.50 in movie cash toward a Dark Knight ticket. Both the standalone version and gift set Blu-ray releases include an exclusive comic book prologue to The Dark Knight."

This is the way to do it. Re-release the film with at least some additional goodies. Easier to double-dip.

#8 of 24 Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 01:20 AM

I'll be upgrading to the BD - might as well do it now. Once my XA-2 craps out that's the end of HD DVD in my house.

I'll pass on the gift set though. comic book, collectable cards, toy action figure, utility belt? no thanks.
Death before Streaming!

#9 of 24 Chris S

Chris S

Screenwriter

• 2,521 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
I'll pass on the gift set though. comic book, collectable cards, toy action figure, utility belt? no thanks.

Utility Belt? Really?!?! Count me in! Posted Image

I'm a sucker for Batman so I'll definitely be picking up the gift set. Plus it will save me the price of the ticket when I go see The Dark Knight so it's virtually a wash.

And I'm just as excited about the Gotham Knight animated blu-ray release which is scheduled to drop the same day. From what I've seen it looks really good.
DVD & Blu-ray - It's all about the movies!

#10 of 24 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,173 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
utility belt

What? Where? Now I know what to wear next time in my bedroom.. Posted Image Posted Image

#11 of 24 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Mayer
To rebuy on BD??? That is the question...

I've since sold off my HD-DVD along with my entire collection so I welcome this on Blu.

I bet it's a very short time that we see all the exclusive titles on HD-DVD making it over to Blu.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#12 of 24 Eric F

Eric F

Screenwriter

• 1,810 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jari K
What? Where? Now I know what to wear next time in my bedroom.. Posted Image Posted Image
Only if it's leather...Only if it's leather...Posted Image

So now the question remains, is Warner going to do a recode, or are they going to use the same encode as the HD version?

#13 of 24 Brent M

Brent M

Producer

• 4,486 posts

Posted March 15 2008 - 05:32 PM

I don't think there will be a remastering of this title. I'm betting it will look and sound exactly the same as the HD version. If WB does go back and improve the picture and sound quality, however, I'll gladly re-buy it.
"If you're good at something, never do it for free."

#14 of 24 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted March 16 2008 - 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron-P
I've since sold off my HD-DVD along with my entire collection so I welcome this on Blu.

I bet it's a very short time that we see all the exclusive titles on HD-DVD making it over to Blu.
I'll take that bet (once you define "very short time"). No surprise for Batman Begins, but I doubt Grand Prix, The Sting, Mutiny on the Bounty (1962) or The Adventures of Robin Hood are "blu" in a "very short time" (for the sake of those who haven't seen these in hi-def, I'll be glad to be wrong, but I won't hold my breath). So I'll keep my discs and players for now.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#15 of 24 Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,173 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric F
So now the question remains, is Warner going to do a recode, or are they going to use the same encode as the HD version?

I doubt that they´re going to do new encoding/mastering, even when they´ve that 50gb now in use (I personally assume, that most of these transfers that were released on both formats was made with "max 30gb" in mind..). Then again, since the title already looks "great", I´m happy with that.

#16 of 24 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,618 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted March 17 2008 - 01:55 AM

I was always going to be in for this whenever it came to BD. Throw in some extra goodies to keep me busy before The Dark Knight comes out and a limited edition gift set? I'm SO at the store Tuesday morning!

#17 of 24 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 09:40 AM

Yikes, I can't believe we're already talking about new encoding/remastering for HD already! I understand for audio if the first version didn't get a lossless track but would it matter for video???
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#18 of 24 BrettGallman

BrettGallman

Screenwriter

• 1,392 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 10:10 AM

Actually, the HD-DVD has a Dolby TrueHD track. And the video was top-notch, and I can't imagine it looking any better.

Anyway, I'm buying the limited edition set simply for all the cool stuff in it. I figure I'd end up replacing my HD-DVD version someday, so I might as well go ahead when I can get a cool set.
Oh, the Horror - Horror Reviews from All Decades and All Sub-Genres!
Balls Academy -  Your Alma mater for teen films, raunchy, low-brow comedies, sexploitation & coming of age dramas.
Other recent reviews: Super | Thor Tobacco RoadSource Code | Sucker Punch |

#19 of 24 Larry Sutliff

Larry Sutliff

Screenwriter

• 2,853 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 12:15 PM

I'll definitely buy this one again, if only for all of the goodies(and the prologue to TDK!).

#20 of 24 Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettGallman
Actually, the HD-DVD has a Dolby TrueHD track. And the video was top-notch, and I can't imagine it looking any better.

Anyway, I'm buying the limited edition set simply for all the cool stuff in it. I figure I'd end up replacing my HD-DVD version someday, so I might as well go ahead when I can get a cool set.

You're right, my bad. I guess cuz where my HD DVD player is located, it's plain old DD 5.1 via bitstream into an old Denon 3802 and not in the HT room where it should be. Time to rearrange...

I agree about the video...great stuff.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow