-

Photo
- - - - -

The Mist

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#21 of 49 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_K
Just watched this last night, it was fantastic and easily one of the best Horror films of the past 20 years. What a refreshing change of pace for a tired genre.

I agree on all counts. With respect to the ending...

I found it to be gut-wrenching, especially now that I am a father. It's the kind of movie that stays in your head for days afterwards.

Quote:
I'd love to pick this up if it were on BD but as for the DVD I'm still keeping to my "new films on High Def only" policy for now. I'll wait it out and if this doesn't get a BD release by this October I might just pick it up on SD, if I can get it cheap.

I did breakdown and buy this on SD DVD because Lord only knows the The Weinstein Co. will begin releasing on Blu-ray Disc, and I can just see the B&W version getting the shaft if/when it is.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#22 of 49 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 29 2008 - 07:04 AM

I bouqht this as a blind buy this week. I really liked it. I watched the BW version. The director said he was going for a cheap 60s movie feel. In the same vain as Night of the Living Dead. Well, to me it felt more like a Twilight Zone or Outer Limits. On the ending...
I was waiting for a TZ like ending. You know, the whole town is on another planet. I just had this feeling once he grabbed the gun off the hood of the car, that i knew what was going to happen, and i was right. I didnt HATE the ending. But, could never, ever, kill one of my kids. I would take a chance, thinking, we made it this far. Dad ultimately took the chicken shit way out, and he paid the price. He had ben so strong, and made the right choices, until this point. Now he would WISH that he was dead!

This movie, and The Decent, are two of my favorites in years. I will be watching it again soon!

Like you Paul, this is a rare movie in SD DVD buy. Usually i would just rent, wait for a Blu-ray. Like you, who knows when we will see it on Blu, and its been a light year for DVD, and Blu, for me anyway. So i figure, what the heck. Glad i got it.

#23 of 49 OFFLINE   FrankT

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 12:02 PM

I thought the movie was ok but the ending was terrible. It made me groan it was so bad.

#24 of 49 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,262 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankT
I thought the movie was ok but the ending was terrible. It made me groan it was so bad.
Why? What exactly made you groan.

It was a brave choice and is an excellent in your face to the crap Hollywood ending that the recent I Am Legend is saddled with.
Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#25 of 49 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 02:14 PM

I loved it up until the end. As much as horror movies are supposed to be grim,
the way everyone just gives up when they run out of gas, to the point of suicide, was hard for me to believe after they've been so determined, and then, right away, gotcha! it's over!

It struck me as being a different cliché than the one that usually gets maligned, but still lame compared to how good what had come before was.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#26 of 49 OFFLINE   FrankT

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
the way everyone just gives up when they run out of gas, to the point of suicide, was hard for me to believe after they've been so determined, and then, right away, gotcha! it's over!

It struck me as being a different cliché than the one that usually gets maligned, but still lame compared to how good what had come before was.

Exactly. I feel the same.

...and then all of a sudden the mist is gone and the place is overrun with troops...lame

#27 of 49 OFFLINE   MattFini

MattFini

Supporting Actor

• 607 posts

Posted March 29 2008 - 06:04 PM

I've said it before, but watching this again reaffirms the fact that I think The Mist is the best horror movie in 20 years.

It's flawless in my eyes.
Universal, please release Streets of Fire on Blu-ray.

#28 of 49 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 02:10 AM

Quote:

Made sense to me
The hopelessness of the situation more than explains their choice of suicide. Maybe you just weren't paying attention to what they saw during their drive, it seemed like the whole world was overtaken with the "mist" For all it looked and all they knew all their family and friends were spiderfood and they were the last people alive (aside from the idiots they left at the grocery store) in a world crawling with monsters from another dimension, out of gas in the middle of nowhere with nowhere to go. All human beings have a breaking point and from what they went through it's feasable that they reached theirs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Arnette
I agree on all counts. With respect to the ending...

I found it to be gut-wrenching, especially now that I am a father. It's the kind of movie that stays in your head for days afterwards.

Same here.

Having two small children of my own, it definitely resonates more for me than it would have 5 years ago.

I also thought it was brilliant the way they turned "the military saves the day" cliche on it's ear. This isn't a cop-out Jurassic Park 3 ending, the military saves the day after the guy just murdered 4 people (well intentioned, though ultimately unnecessary) including his own son. I guess the irony of that just washes over some people. Posted Image

I don't know how some would consider the ending "lame". But whatever
to each their own, such is the uselessness of discussing conflicting views with movies on internet messageboards. You just can't make people see the light now matter how wrong they are. Posted Image Posted Image

Death before Streaming!

#29 of 49 OFFLINE   FrankT

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 02:36 AM

Quote:

But whatever
to each their own, such is the uselessness of discussing conflicting views with movies on internet messageboards. You just can't make people see the light now matter how wrong they are. Posted Image Posted Image

I agree :-)

#30 of 49 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 06:25 AM

Quote:
I don't know how some would consider the ending "lame".
Well, aside from my personal beliefs -
there is no situation that merits suicide, and the ending/preventing another's suffering justification for assisted suicide/murder is even more horrible
- I think it was just too quick and complete a change from what we've seen from this group before, and the gotcha ending just highlighted that.

Great up until then - really fantastic, I was ready to come out of the theater raving that this was one of the best movies in years - but that ending just sat wrong in every possible way it could sit wrong.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

#31 of 49 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 30 2008 - 06:41 AM

your beliefs don't make the ending lame, it makes the ending disagreeable to you because of your beliefs.

i thought it was a very good ending,
it was horrible, but this was a horror film.
the ending should be horrific.

they must have been driving for hours and who knows how far they drove and all of the terrible things they saw they we weren't privy to seeing.

this movie was classic twilight zone and if this was a TZ ep the end would be thought of as one of the best of the series.

i watched the last 30 minutes or so with the color turned off and i think that added to the mood that i had for the last part of the film.

for me this would have been a perfect horror film if there was a bit less of the woman calling this the end of days and god was watching her and anyone
who became a follower.
facebook.com/whotony

#32 of 49 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Seaver
Well, aside from my personal beliefs -
there is no situation that merits suicide, and the ending/preventing another's suffering justification for assisted suicide/murder is even more horrible

Jason, i agree with what you say. My beliefs in such a matter would seem to echo yours. However, in such a situation i cant say our hero (someone else) was thinking the way we would.
I could never do that, in that kind od situation. I sure as hell wouldnt kill my kids! Now if i was the burned guy...hell yea, someone kill me. Put me out of my misery. He was in agony, and wouldnt live anyway, but they didnt kill him. He had to die in pain...once again, go figure, cause these people just ran out of gas. They were still healthy, they had options if they just slowed down to think of them. At least find another car before you run out of gas! But, i know from personal experience, people dont think rational in times of crisis. Seeing monsters the size of skyscrapers sure would be a time of crisis!

#33 of 49 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyD
your beliefs don't make the ending lame, it makes the ending disagreeable to you because of your beliefs.

i thought it was a very good ending,
it was horrible, but this was a horror film.
the ending should be horrific.

they must have been driving for hours and who knows how far they drove and all of the terrible things they saw they we weren't privy to seeing.

this movie was classic twilight zone and if this was a TZ ep the end would be thought of as one of the best of the series.

for me this would have been a perfect horror film if there was a bit less of the woman calling this the end of days and god was watching her and anyone
who became a follower.

I agree with all of that. Nice post Tony.

#34 of 49 OFFLINE   Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 08:01 AM

Quote:
My personal beliefs were why I initially found it distasteful (and, perhaps, more willing to find fault than I might have been otherwise); the fact that it required the characters to suddenly, from the audience's perspective, act in a way that was the complete opposite from how they'd acted up until then made it lame.

Quote:
This may be true, but having characters' decisions based upon events that are unseen and unmentioned is bad storytelling.

#35 of 49 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 08:59 AM

not bad storytelling, different, i think it makes the story better , the imagination.

plus i thought it was pretty clear that they were driving for hours and had seen things in addition to what was shown.

either way you have your opinion.
for me i don;t usually allow what i believe in,
with life and god and anything else influence my thoughts on what people in movies should do.

movies like Gone Baby Gone and Reservation Road, have characters doing things that i may not have chosen.
i still thought Gone was a great movie, Reservation Road, not so much.
facebook.com/whotony

#36 of 49 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 09:16 AM

Quote:
This may be true, but having characters' decisions based upon events that are unseen and unmentioned is bad storytelling.

But the events weren't "unseen" unless your theater had a missing reel, Posted Image or you were distracted by ringing cell phones, someone kicking your seat, or you had to take a piss break or run for out for some nachos. Posted Image

All of the above are why I prefer watching movies in my home theater. No douchebags causing distractions and the pause button for those biological functions and sudden cravings. Posted Image

The impression was pretty clear to me that they were driving for hours, the slow motion time lapse and driving past the downed interstate sign gave the sense that they drove though the entire state.

Personally I'm glad they didn't feel the need to spoonfeed us any tacked on dialog for us to understand how far they drove. It didn't need it.

Death before Streaming!

#37 of 49 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Executive Producer

• 16,143 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 09:18 AM

Quote:
But the events weren't "unseen" unless your theater had a missing reel, Posted Image or you were distracted by ringing cell phones, someone kicking your seat, or you had to take a piss break or run for out for some nachos. Posted Image

All of the above are why I prefer watching movies in my home theater. No douchebags causing distractions and the pause button for those biological functions and sudden cravings. Posted Image

The impression was pretty clear to me that they were driving for hours, the slow motion time lapse and driving past the downed interstate sign gave the sense that they drove though the entire state.

Personally I'm glad they didn't feel the need to spoonfeed us any tacked on dialog for us to understand how far they drove. It didn't need it.

agree on all points
facebook.com/whotony

#38 of 49 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 09:21 AM

Quote:
agree on all points

Great minds think alike! Posted Image
Death before Streaming!

#39 of 49 OFFLINE   Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,394 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted March 30 2008 - 09:34 AM

After my son and I saw the film in the theater, we spent an awful lot of time talking about the ending.

This, for me, is put in the category of "while you may not agree with it, it sure is a powerful ending to have gotten so many people worked up and talking about it." It plays with your emotions, your personal beliefs, your understanding of the character's motives. And certainly makes you "think about things" after you've watched it.

Some may pooh-pooh that philosophy...but it's hard to disagree that it was powerful in the way it touched people both positively and negatively.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#40 of 49 OFFLINE   FrankT

FrankT

Stunt Coordinator

• 108 posts

Posted March 30 2008 - 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon
After my son and I saw the film in the theater, we spent an awful lot of time talking about the ending.

This, for me, is put in the category of "while you may not agree with it, it sure is a powerful ending to have gotten so many people worked up and talking about it." It plays with your emotions, your personal beliefs, your understanding of the character's motives. And certainly makes you "think about things" after you've watched it.

Some may pooh-pooh that philosophy...but it's hard to disagree that it was powerful in the way it touched people both positively and negatively.

I completely disagree, I found it laughable and not powerfully in the least but I am glad others liked it.

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow