What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Enchanted (1 Viewer)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
ronsreviews_covers_1668447.jpg

Enchanted (Blu-ray)
Directed by Kevin Lima

Studio: Disney
Year: 2007
Aspect Ratio: 2.35:11080p AVC codec
Running Time: 107 minutes
Rating: PG
Audio: Dolby TrueHD 5.1 English; Dolby Digital 5.1 English, French, Spanish
Subtitles: English, French Spanish
MSRP: $ 34.99

Release Date: March 18, 2008
Review Date: March 13, 2008

The Film

4.5/5

Enchanted is enchanting. At once an homage to the glories of Disney animated and live action musicals of the past (from Snow White to Mary Poppins) while at the same time forging its own modern identity as a musical romantic comedy, Enchanted is a pure delight. Melodic tunes, a first rate cast, and tremendous and ingenious production values add up to another jewel in Disney’s increasingly crowded crown of delights for all ages.

Giselle (Amy Adams), a fairy tale heroine for all-time, is waiting to be swept off her feet by her prince (James Marsden). Unknown to her, however, the prince’s stepmother (Susan Sarandon) is not eager to cede control of the kingdom to her stepson on his wedding day and so schemes to get rid of Giselle by magically transporting her from her animated world of wonder to modern day Manhattan where, like a fish out of water, she expects Giselle will perish. Prince Edward darts after her, however, so the evil queen must send toady Nathaniel (Timothy Spall) to New York City armed with three poison apples to finish off the goodie-two-shoes once and for all. Giselle, however, lucks into the orbit of divorce lawyer Robert Philip (Patrick Dempsey) who finds the naïve Giselle charmingly unsettling as he attempts to help her get back home.

The script by Bill Kelly joins together Giselle’s magical way with animals with the hustle and bustle of present day Manhattan in some hilarious riffs on Snow White’s “Whistle While You Work” and Mary Poppins’ “A Spoonful of Sugar.” And as Giselle spends more time in the city absorbing its own brand of magical pleasures (e.g. hot dogs, mariachi bands), she and the city each begin some subtle changes that are a pleasure to see develop. Throughout there are so many allusions to classic Disney features that to list them all would be tedious and spoil what is, first and foremost, a joyous and captivating entertainment all on its own.

Kevin Lima’s massively difficult job of direction is an amalgamation of live action, animation, and CGI and is a wonder to behold. When you add several show-stopping musical sequences to the mix, you’ve got just about unbeatable entertainment and a film that‘s surely unique to today‘s film market. Tops among the large scale production numbers is “That’s How You Know,” one of a handful of lilting songs by Oscar winners Alan Menken and Stephen Schwartz, that gets all of Central Park in on the fun in a tune that will take you back to The Little Mermaid’s “Under the Sea.” “Happy Working Song” is a riot of special effects that will have you grinning from ear to ear while “So Close,” where Patrick Dempsey’s Robert finally succumbs to the amorous lure of dancing and singing, is the very essence of musical comedy romance at its peak.

Amy Adams is the walking and talking embodiment of a Disney princess, and James Marsden is her masculine counterpart: a stalwart, brave, and handsome Prince Edward for the ages. So perfect are these two actors for their roles that I had a stupid smile plastered on my face every time they were featured in a scene or song. Patrick Dempsey is the modern-day equivalent of Prince Charming here and very well played, while Rachel Covey acts his daughter Morgan with just the right amount of wide-eyed spunk. It seems a little odd that Tony-winning musical star Idina Menzel is in the picture as Dempsey’s ill-fated girl friend and yet doesn’t sing a note. Susan Sarandon has the presence to do wonderfully wicked things with the evil Queen Narissa while Timothy Spall’s conniving Nathaniel will remind you of the role he’s most known for presently: Wormtail/Peter Pettigrew in the Harry Potter series. And cheers for the character of Giselle’s chipmunk protector Pip (voiced by director Kevin Lima). The feisty rodent steals every scene that he’s a part of.

Yes, I could nitpick a few things. The animation which begins and ends the film is ambitious but doesn’t come close to the classic Disney animation it‘s inspired by and paying tribute to (I’m sure the cost would have been prohibitive). The switching couples are a tad too predictable, and the choreography by John O'Connell in the musical numbers can’t match the acrobatic expertise found in Disney’s best live action musicals (particularly something like “Step in Time” in Mary Poppins).

Still, the ingenious idea, the superb singing actors, and the outstanding overall production make Enchanted something of a minor miracle.

Video Quality

4.5/5

The Panavision 2.35:1 aspect ratio is presented in an excellent 1080p transfer using the AVC codec. It’s a very film-like transfer with outstanding sharpness, film grain that seems completely natural, wonderful color with deep blacks and very fine shadow detail. A couple of scenes seem a bit too bright with contrast off just a hair, and occasionally flesh tones veer a little toward brown, but otherwise, it’s a pristine transfer with all the detail one could want. The film is divided into 20 chapters.

Audio Quality

4.5/5

The Dolby TrueHD 5.1 track (48 kHz/24 bit) is a pleasure in every way. The music is superbly filtered through the fronts and rears to astonishingly good effect, and there’s more than a fair share of wonderful discreet sound effects worked into the mix. The subwoofer gets used in the climactic confrontation between good and evil in expected ways, but LFE also turn up elsewhere in the film, too, and are always welcome.

Special Features

3.5/5

Exclusive to Blu-ray is the disc’s most significant inclusion called The D-Files. Select this option and you can watch the movie, pausing every so often to answer a trivia question concerning allusions to a classic Disney feature contained somewhere within Enchanted. If you select the right multiple choice answer, BD-Java streams you into a featurette where director Kevin Lima (or sometimes someone else) discusses the reference and then treats the viewer to a clip from the classic feature in full 1080p. Need I say what a sensational treat it is to see these classics pop up in high definition, one after another (Aladdin and Cinderella will knock your socks off, and Beauty and the Beast, Sleeping Beauty, Peter Pan, and Snow White also look terrific). The viewer is allowed the chance to save the game at any point and go back to it later (this worked flawlessly) and at the end, your score is tallied and depending on what it is, you’ll be treated to behind-the-scene glimpses into the writing and production of up to three songs in the score. If you miss the Disney trivia question, it doesn’t show you the clip then, but at the end, the viewer is taken to a table of contents with the missed featurettes marked for easy reference where you can watch them then. (Incidentally, if you want to just answer the trivia questions and not sit through the entire movie again, you can hit the next chapter button and it takes you right to the next interruption to ask a question.)

The rest of the bonus features are the same as on the standard definition release of Enchanted.

“Fantasy Comes to Life” offers three featurettes on the production of three scenes in the film: “Happy Working Song” with its myriad of digital effects, “That’s How You Know” with its elaborate choreography, and the climactic ballroom sequence with the sophisticated dragon effects. The viewer can watch each separately or all at once in a 17¾-minute chunk. They’re presented in 1080i.

There are 2 minutes of bloopers presented in 1080p.

6 deleted scenes are each introduced by the director explaining why they were cut. Together they run 8 minutes and are in 480i.

“Ever Ever After” music video presents American Idol winner Carrie Underwood singing the song in both animated and real life incarnations. It’s in 480p and runs 3½ minutes.

“Pip’s Predicament: A Pop-Up Adventure” is the disc’s weakest bonus, a 5½ minute pop-up book vignette with the spirited chipmunk trying to save Prince Edward. It is presented in 1080p.

The disc offers previews in 1080p of Sleeping Beauty, The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian, National Treasure: Book of Secrets, and Tinker Bell. The trailer for Enchanted is not here but can be found on other Disney releases.

In Conclusion

4.5/5 (not an average)

Disney doesn’t make live action musicals much any more, but with the enormous success of Enchanted, perhaps we’ll see more of them in the future. This Blu-ray release with its superb picture and sound plus a handful of enjoyable bonus features comes highly recommended.

Matt Hough
Charlotte, NC

[PG]118401802[/PG]

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Saw this one in the theater, and have been waiting to pick it up on BD. Tuesday can't come fast enough! Glad to know that it's typical high quality Disney release.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I am soooo excited by this.

I went to the theater mainly to see the Goofy short that was supposed to have been in front of the film (but got reassigned at the last minute). I thought, based on the trailer, that I was going to hate Enchanted...but I was very pleasantly surprised and loved it.

The best part about it was that it doesn't take itself too seriously. It's all in fun. And what great fun it is. And what a treat to have Menken & Schwartz reunited!

My only disagreement with Matt's review is that I was "disenchanted" with the chipmunk, Pip. I understand why he was there. The kids in the theater reacted loudly to his antics. But I thought, rather than a nod to the great animated characters of Disney-films-past...Pip was closer to the low-brow, crude, poop-joke characters of more-recent kids' films. But that's me, I guess. The kids, like I said, laughed.

But, without a doubt, Enchanted was a hugely pleasant surprise for me this year. Your assessment of the PQ & SQ is whetting my appetite even more for this release.

Thanks, Matt! :emoji_thumbsup:

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan
Great review. Is this Disney's first ever TrueHD track?

-Reagan

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Reagan,

you beat me to it. I was literally scrolling down to post the same question. I'm not aware of any other BV title with TrueHD. Is this Disney's first? They use DTS so much on DVD I was wondering if they'd opt for DTS-HD MA over TrueHD when space was needed on BD or go with TrueHD.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
After watching the trailer 17,258 times on the Cars, Ratatouille and Meet The Robinsons discs, I'm psyched to finally see this. :)

Also very much looking forward to the 1080p clips from classic films. Too bad there aren't more making-of extras, though.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam

I think it is their first, but they have announce it for future titles as well. I wonder if the fact that more players (including the PS3) currently can decode TrueHD over DTS-HD MA was a consideration in their choice?

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Already pre-ordered from Amazon based on the recommendation of another friend (Matt, yours doesn't hurt, btw). Absolutely looking forward to this in every way once it lands on the doorstep.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
For anyone in the LA area, Disney is hosting an Enchanted themed family event:

EASTER EVENTS FOR KIDS
AT THE GROVE
A Chance to Experience all the Fun…
Disney Celebrates the Enchanted DVD release with
an Enchanting Carnival of Free Fun Activities for Kids
at The Grove
Saturday March 15 and again on March 22
Noon – 4:00 PM

WHEN/WHAT: Saturday, March 15 Noon - 4:00PM
Saturday, March 22 Noon - 4:00PM
Disney will provide arts and crafts, games and other ’Enchanted’ activities to make children sing and dance for joy

WHERE: The Grove
Fairfax and 3rd St

Walt Disney Studios Home Entertainment is celebrating the debut of Enchanted in stunning Blu-ray High Definition and DVD on March 18, 2008. Shining a witty and charming new light on a beloved genre, Enchanted is a modern-day musical fairytale filled with uproarious surprises that the entire family will enjoy again and again. Both the Blu-ray Disc and DVD boast a vast kingdom of entertaining bonus features, including the trivia based BD-Java feature “The D-Files” available only on Blu-ray Disc.

Jace_A

Second Unit
Great looking film, but I suffered a number of audio drop outs viewing this film with the TrueHD track on my Panasonic BD30 fed through a Yamaha RX-V3800. I watched I Am Legend the night before on the same player in TrueHD and had no problems, so I don't know whether my player just doesn't like this title or all BD30's are affected.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough

There were certainly no audio dropouts using the PS3, but I can't speak for the BD30. I'll be curious to see if this happened with others.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I watched on BD10 with no problems. I just got a BD30 so I can try duplicating it on that. Were they random or in the same place each time. The BD30 doesn't decode TrueHD so did you bitstream it to your HDMI 1.3 receiver or just try to extract the core stream from it? Do you have the audio going out HDMI?

EDIT: Any scences you remember it happening on? What is your players FW?

Jace_A

Second Unit
There are multiple reports of audio drop outs on AVS with people using the BD30 and Yamaha or Onkyo receivers.

Reagan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Reagan

Yes, it seems to be specific to using 24fps with TrueHD tracks (and maybe DTS master too). Odds are Panny will fix it with firmware - after all, they fixed every other problem (and the last one was a tough one) with firmware updates.

-Reagan

Watched this last night and I experienced the drop outs using the BD30 and Onkyo 805. This was with the True HD track passed as bitstream to 805. There were 2 or 3 of them and each lasted only for a split second but still surprised me. Firmware on bd30 is up to date (1.6). Can't remember exactly which scenes the drop outs occurred at.

TonyTone

Supporting Actor
Not quite--I'm getting dropouts at 1080/60i.

FWIW--I had two dropouts--one at around the 12-minute mark, the other at around the 26-minute mark. When I replayed the movie from the beginning I did not get dropouts at those spots, but did get a dropout at a different spot.

This using a BD30 (f/w 1.6) and Denon 3808 AVR (f/w 1.57), w/ TrueHD audio bitstreamed to the Denon.

FWIW #2--w/ the same equipment setup I did not get any dropouts when I played 300 (it too includes a Dolby TrueHD soundtrack)...so like others are surmising, the issue appears to be specific to Enchanted...at least from a high-level standpoint.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched Enchanted (I love this movie) tonight on my BD10 with no problems at all. I listened to the Dolby TrueHD soundtrack via the 5.1 analog outs. My receiver is an old entry-level Sony STR-DE445.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
What a fantastic movie. I bought the BD blind and we watched it last night, everyone loved it. Amy Adams stole the show. It played flawlessly on my PS3 and it looked / sounded fantastic.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
the D-Files feature IS mega-cool. Except that it looks like you've got to just about completely sit through the entire feature again to play.

But the short clips you see when you answer correctly are cool. I wonder, though if they are segments of the featurettes included elsewhere on the disc?

While many of the Disney "tips of the hat" are obvious, it is still amazing to see how closely the images in Enchanted mirror those from past Disney classics. Just terrific! :emoji_thumbsup:

I cannot believe how often I simply laugh out loud during this film.

Robert: (in Central Park) "How do you all know this song? I've never heard this song before!"

===========================================

Giselle: Now if only I can find a place to rest my head for the night.
Robert: What kind of place?
Giselle: I don't know. Maybe a nearby meadow...or the hollow of a tree.
Robert: A hollow tree?
Giselle: Or a house full of dwarves. I hear they're very hospitable.

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks