-

Photo
- - - - -

Lord of the Rings in 3D rumblings resurface

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx

Lead Actor

• 7,632 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 09:16 AM

Lord of the Rings in 3D(!!) Rumors Resurface | Hobbit Movie News and Rumors | TheOneRing.netâ„¢ | The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings Movie News and Rumors

Quote:
This story comes to us thanks to the wonders of the wireless world and the internets. Early this afternoon I received a call from a rabid Ringer Diamond T letting me know about a CNBC reporter (possibly at the SXSW Film Fest) who dropped a bomb during an interview about the future of 3D movies. He claims to have heard ‘Rumblings’ about New Line (Warner Bros.) releasing LOTR in 3D! Take a look (or rather listen) at her phone video (sent to my phone, downloaded, then uploaded to YouTube…gotta love the web).

Toastmasters International

Communication is Everything

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen

Executive Producer

• 12,060 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 11:35 AM

Am I missing something, or did Peter Jackson film everything with two cameras? And no one noticed until now.

Please! Rumblings—what exactly does that mean?
¡Time is not my master!

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Mike Williams

Mike Williams

Screenwriter

• 1,020 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 11:47 AM

Maybe he used the same two cameras Tim Burton used for "The Nightmare Before Christmas."

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted March 11 2008 - 03:02 PM

I certainly don't know the specifics but there's a way that they can 'turn' 2-D movies into 3-D. They've been talking about doing 3-D versions of the Star Wars saga and James Cameron movies (Titanic, Terminator 2) for a couple of years too.

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Sam Davatchi

Sam Davatchi

Producer

• 3,151 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 12:03 AM

Yes, they can do this from a 2D image. They have already done this for Star Wars. (few minutes)

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg

Screenwriter

• 2,561 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 05:14 AM

The 2-D to 3-D digital conversion was done for four sequences in "Superman Returns" and also for the climactic final scenes of "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix". Looked pretty good too, although I can't begin to imagine how much work it would be to do an entire feature film.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   BrettV

BrettV

Stunt Coordinator

• 211 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Steinberg
I can't begin to imagine how much work it would be to do an entire feature film.

or 3 REALLLLLLY long feature films.

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jefferson Morris

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor

• 823 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 04:24 PM

Interesting idea, and a good excuse to see these films in a theater again, if true.

But if New Line needs some cash to help it through its current turmoil, why not just release the damn films on Blu Ray? I'm pining for these films in high-def.

--Jefferson Morris
"If fakes, they were masterpieces."

--The New York Times commenting on Willis O'Brien's dinosaurs in The Lost World (1925).

"From the two trailers I've seen, the movie looks like AIDS."--Recent thread post on AICN

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   John_Graz

John_Graz

Stunt Coordinator

• 88 posts

Posted March 13 2008 - 02:29 AM

Oh great ! Next there will be a Bluray 3-D player for about $ 1,500 - $ 2,500 and they will sell the 3D DVD for about $ 100 - 300 each !

Just Kiddin

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jonesy

Jonesy

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted March 13 2008 - 04:00 AM

Quote:
and a good excuse to see these films in a theater again

I don't need any excuse (and certainly not any 3D-ification) to see them on the Big Screen again. I caught a trilogy screening in San Francisco in Dec. '06 and had a blast.

Quote:
Next there will be a Bluray 3-D player for about $ 1,500 - $ 2,500

I believe the main reason Hollywood is pushing 3D is to thwart camcorder-produced bootlegs sold in other parts of the world, but you're right, it might produce a new revenue stream for the home market.

Jonesy
MOVIE THEATRE REVIEWS

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Radioman970

Radioman970

Producer

• 5,794 posts
  • LocationCould be anywhere

Posted March 13 2008 - 04:40 AM

I'm glad to hear this is actually possible. I'd have no problem buying a ticket...and buying the DVDs if it would work at home.
Silly Party Candidate: Tarquin Fin- tim- lim- bim- whin- bim- lim- bus- stop- F'tang- F'tang- Olè- Biscuitbarrel

Back to Movies (Theatrical)

Forum Nav Content I Follow