What's new

Heath Ledger's final performance in The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus (1 Viewer)

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
This makes me very happy. I hope Gilliam can make it work. Although I'll be giving that Batman flick a pass (ain't my thing), I'll be seeing this in the cinema. Very cool.

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
I was very happy to hear this news. Gilliam is a brilliant director who always seems to struggle to get his films made, and I know that it was Heath Ledger's role in the film that was "the name" that got funding for the film, so I was afraid that the film would end with Ledger's death. Fortunately, Gilliam has evidently managed to make the film work, and upped the star power in the process, so we will get to see another Gilliam film, and see Ledger's final work.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Great news around here (Vancouver) where it is shooting. I have a very small role in this film. It was so sad when Heath died. I had wardrobe the day before and talked to the 3rd AD the very morning he died before we knew. It was so surreal. I just picked up the script yesterday, so I will have to give it a read. It is a really thick script!

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
Well, I just got back from the wrap party. Sad that none of the big names showed up. However, they did show a bunch of the footage from what they shot in London. It looks really good (considering that it was just thrown together and most of the audio was not in it).

There was a nice applause when Heath Ledger first appeared on screen.

The scene I shot last week had Jude Law in it. It is one bizarre scene! I think this will be Terry's visually strangest movie yet! I dont want to give any spoilers, but I think this will be a very fun/interesting movie to see when it comes out.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Congrads for getting a part in a Terry Gilliam film. That's beyond awesome, no matter how small the part is. I'll have no choice but to look for you in this thing. :D

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know how much footage was completed WITH Heath Ledger? Was all the footage in the "reality" sequences with his character finished?

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
From what I know, all the "reality" stuff was done. They wrapped it up in England and then came over here to Vancouver for the "fantasy" portion. That was when Heath stopped over in New York to take it easy for a while. Sadly, we know the rest of that story.

At the wrap party, they showed quite a bit of footage featuring Heath that had been shot in England. Even in the raw format, it sure had a terrific look about it. Chris Plummer also really looked/acted great as Dr. P. Vern Troyer even had a good role as more of a dramatic character rather than just a sight gag as in Austin Powers movies.

DavidPla

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Scott for the info! Glad to hear the "reality" sequences were finished as at least we'll get to see Ledger open and finish the film.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Noooot! Heh heh! The hype has gotten me. I'll be seeing that thing. :)

Anyway, glad to hear that too. Sounds like it was some kind of luck they got what they really needed for the film before that unfortunate turn of events with Ledger. Very cool! I just hope to heck my town gets that Gilliam film. I missed Tideland (still need to see it) because it didn't come here. Sure, Brothers Grimm did. :frowning:

todd s

Senior HTF Member
What is this movie about. Also, just curious. If Heath didn't go into the studio to dub his lines. Could they take his lines he spoke during the filming and use that?

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
The movie is about a travelling band of performers. They travel in a HUGE wagon that can fold open into a stage. They do a mini-circus of sorts with the central figure being Dr. Parnassus who is billed as a sort of magician. From the footage I saw (I have the script but just never got around to reading it) the group is really not doing so well. They perform and people are just not impressed. The group is getting hungry and depressed. Along their travels, they resuce Heath Ledger's character who is hanging from a bridge. He evenutally joins their group as he is on the run from Russian mobsters. Eventually, a magic mirror allows Heath's character to jump into other realities. The twist is that when he jumps, he turns into famous actors (Jude Law, Johnny Depp and Colin Farrel). That change was made after his death. I think it works really well!

Not sure what you mean about dubbing his lines. Normally you want as little ADR as possible in a film. In this case, if a line is muddy, they will have to do their best to tweak it. If you meant something else, please explain.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Wow. that got me pretty excited for the movie.

I really hope this movie ends up well, especially for Gilliam. He's the type of maverick filmmaker who's made great films and that you really want to root for, but his career has taken its toll due to it all. I really hope this can capture the brilliance and imagination from his earlier films.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks