VILLA RIDES!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 04:36 AM

Movies Unlimited is listing 6/3 as a release date for VILLA RIDES! (Mitchum, Brynner, script by Peckinpah and Robert Towne). I don't see anything similar--and it's listed under "Historical and War"-- but could this be a harbinger of a WB Western Collection?
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 10 OFFLINE   Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,624 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 10 2008 - 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
Movies Unlimited is listing 6/3 as a release date for VILLA RIDES! (Mitchum, Brynner, script by Peckinpah and Robert Towne). I don't see anything similar--and it's listed under "Historical and War"-- but could this be a harbinger of a WB Western Collection?
I think Charles Bronson is also in that film.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 10 OFFLINE   Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 870 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 04:59 AM

It was a Paramount film..so......given Paramount's appalling track record and disdain for releasing classic catalog titles....it won't be from them. My guess its now a public domain title.
Ken

#4 of 10 OFFLINE   KamyarB

KamyarB

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 09:24 AM

Man I hope so... i have been waiting to see this film again for many years! I can't wait if this is true!

Kamyar

#5 of 10 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 09:29 AM

Really... from Paramount?!?

No offense but I'll believe it when I see it!

#6 of 10 OFFLINE   walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 847 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 02:12 PM

probably Jef/Substance/teleista, since Paramount did nothing to stop their bootleg WHITE DOG release! (and that has a valid copyright!)

#7 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 03:23 AM

I'm now 65, and my memory may be faulting on the below, but this is what I recall; any corrections will be gladly appreciated.

In the early 80s, Paramount leased 3 western/action titles to Kartes Communication:

Pony Express
Buccaneers
Villa Rides!

After the expiration of the agreement, the studio released the first 2 on VHS, but Villa Rides! was neglected, much to my disappointment, as there's an annoying flash in several scene changes. I'm certainly a buyer of the above, should they be released on DVD.

In addition, The Last Outpost(Cavalry Charge) was farmed out by Paramount to Ivy Video, who released a terrible VHS, followed some years later by a worse DVD.

Bob Engleman

#8 of 10 OFFLINE   Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 04:43 AM

What were the other films in the Kartes/Paramount deal? I seem to remember OFF LIMITS and DEAR WIFE.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 10 OFFLINE   Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator

• 172 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 02:09 AM

Charles,

The only Kartes titles I own are the aforementioned 3, and Universal's "Against All Flags"; I'm not familiar with those you've stated.

Bob Engleman

#10 of 10 OFFLINE   Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,836 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 09:51 PM

I watched that DVD this week. It's not a good DVD unfortunately but it is at least watchable. I enjoyed Villa Rides more than I expected and more than I did when it first came out. According to various posters on IMDB, Yul Brynner got Sam Peckinpah fired and had the screenplay re-written to suit his own personality. Does anyone here know the truth or otherwise in that story?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users