Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

VILLA RIDES!

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 04:36 AM

Movies Unlimited is listing 6/3 as a release date for VILLA RIDES! (Mitchum, Brynner, script by Peckinpah and Robert Towne). I don't see anything similar--and it's listed under "Historical and War"-- but could this be a harbinger of a WB Western Collection?
Charles Hoyt

#2 of 10 Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford

• 24,166 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted March 10 2008 - 04:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles H
Movies Unlimited is listing 6/3 as a release date for VILLA RIDES! (Mitchum, Brynner, script by Peckinpah and Robert Towne). I don't see anything similar--and it's listed under "Historical and War"-- but could this be a harbinger of a WB Western Collection?
I think Charles Bronson is also in that film.

Crawdaddy

Blu-ray Preorder Schedule

#3 of 10 Ken Koc

Ken Koc

Supporting Actor

• 825 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 04:59 AM

It was a Paramount film..so......given Paramount's appalling track record and disdain for releasing classic catalog titles....it won't be from them. My guess its now a public domain title.
Ken

#4 of 10 KamyarB

KamyarB

Agent

• 35 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 09:24 AM

Man I hope so... i have been waiting to see this film again for many years! I can't wait if this is true!

Kamyar

#5 of 10 MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 09:29 AM

Really... from Paramount?!?

No offense but I'll believe it when I see it!

#6 of 10 walter o

walter o

Supporting Actor

• 843 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 02:12 PM

probably Jef/Substance/teleista, since Paramount did nothing to stop their bootleg WHITE DOG release! (and that has a valid copyright!)

#7 of 10 Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 03:23 AM

I'm now 65, and my memory may be faulting on the below, but this is what I recall; any corrections will be gladly appreciated.

In the early 80s, Paramount leased 3 western/action titles to Kartes Communication:

Pony Express
Buccaneers
Villa Rides!

After the expiration of the agreement, the studio released the first 2 on VHS, but Villa Rides! was neglected, much to my disappointment, as there's an annoying flash in several scene changes. I'm certainly a buyer of the above, should they be released on DVD.

In addition, The Last Outpost(Cavalry Charge) was farmed out by Paramount to Ivy Video, who released a terrible VHS, followed some years later by a worse DVD.

Bob Engleman

#8 of 10 Charles H

Charles H

Screenwriter

• 1,526 posts

Posted March 17 2008 - 04:43 AM

What were the other films in the Kartes/Paramount deal? I seem to remember OFF LIMITS and DEAR WIFE.
Charles Hoyt

#9 of 10 Bob Engleman

Bob Engleman

Stunt Coordinator

• 171 posts

Posted March 21 2008 - 02:09 AM

Charles,

The only Kartes titles I own are the aforementioned 3, and Universal's "Against All Flags"; I'm not familiar with those you've stated.

Bob Engleman

#10 of 10 Robin9

Robin9

Screenwriter

• 1,742 posts

Posted December 30 2012 - 09:51 PM

I watched that DVD this week. It's not a good DVD unfortunately but it is at least watchable. I enjoyed Villa Rides more than I expected and more than I did when it first came out. According to various posters on IMDB, Yul Brynner got Sam Peckinpah fired and had the screenplay re-written to suit his own personality. Does anyone here know the truth or otherwise in that story?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users