Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Star Trek Trivia (Series and Films)

Best Answer Nelson Au , June 10 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think there is at least one more Scott Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11072 replies to this topic

#7941 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 10:36 AM

He seems irked by Spock's insensitivity in The Enemy Within and Charlie X.

#7942 of 11073 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,065 posts

Posted May 03 2013 - 11:09 AM

"It's the Captain's guts you're analyzing! "

That's one of them.

I'm not sure which part of Charlie X had McCoy annoyed at Spock.

#7943 of 11073 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,065 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 08:02 AM

One more to go. It might be a minor one in the range of McCoy blow ups at Spock. The winner is clearly Lee. So we can end it here, or if you want to see the last through, that's okay.

It does involve certain Vulcan skills.

#7944 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 08:28 AM

Dagger of the Mind? "Will it work or not?"

#7945 of 11073 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,065 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 08:38 AM

You start to feel a strange euphoria...Lee.

That's it! That's all the ones I thought of plus all the one you guys found.

What surprised me was there were more then I was thinking of. Plus on top of that, all the instances that McCoy argues with Kirk and others.

Nice job everyone. I feel like I continue to learn more about Star Trek with each question. Or actually realize things that were always there, but not totally conscious of.

Your turn Lee.

Edited by Nelson Au, May 04 2013 - 08:39 AM.

#7946 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 09:33 AM

Great question. I feel as though McCoy's crankiness added real contrast to the characterizations and added a level of drama to so many of the episodes. It also reflected the extent to which he was passionate in his beliefs, which was something that cemented his friendship with Kirk and Spock, who manifested their beliefs differently, but held them just as passionately. (The other important factor linking them all together was, as I've suggested before, that they shared that desire to explore the unknown. All three of them want to go see the universe for its own sake, and that mutual feeling gives them a deep unspoken understanding of each other.)

I'll get to work on a question.

#7947 of 11073 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,065 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 10:42 AM

Great summation Lee!

That made me think about Star Trek The Motion Picture. Kirk and Spock lost their way before coming back to the Enterprise. McCoy had to be drafted to come back. The characters lost their way total.

One last thing about McCoy, I was listening to The Trouble with Tribbles. McCoy has a nice couple of zingers back and forth with Spock! "I like them, better then you!"

#7948 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 11:19 AM

Yes! In TMP, they have all decided they want something else from life (career advancement, total logic, independence), but in pursuing those things, they have each tried to deny the most elemental parts of who they are. You're right about that being the ideal example.

Funny about Tribbles. In one interview, David Gerrold said that he watched the episode when it aired with his family, and his sister who was unfamiliar with the show asked if the characters were always so sarcastic with each other. He said yes. (Although having said that, he repudiated the scene you quoted. He said Gene Coon wrote it at the last minute and he thought it went too far to be funny. Personally, I'm on your side.)

#7949 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 04 2013 - 09:18 PM

In which episodes do we see people from two (or more) different planets in the same star system?

#7950 of 11073 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,065 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 09:08 AM

Trivia first:

Ekos and Zeon? I think they are in the same star system for sure.

Ventikar and Eminiar were warring planets too. I recall Anan saying its the 4th planet in their system. 

And a few other things:

Lee, its interesting story about Gerrold and how Gene Coon wrote that scene in Tribbles. I recall hearing it on The Trouble with Tribbles commentary by Gerrold, IIRC. Might have to give that a play soon! So Gerrold thought it went too far. it did seem a bit nasty. But as played, it didn't seem that bad, Spock gave as good as he got. 

On another topic, I've been a little obsessed with PT-109 this weekend. It's one of my favorite movies because I admired the story of how JFK saved his crew and I admired him as the President. And it's a good movie. I've had the old laserdisc all these years and I finally got the Warners Archive Collection DVD-R on Friday. Funny Star Trek connections too with James Gregory. Then there's the machinists in the engine room, Pappy who was the valet in the New York hotel that George Kaplan stays in in North by Northwest. That's only a connection with the Hitchcock movie of course. 

And going back to October, I mentioned I finally got The Munsters on DVD. I've been slowly making my way through episodes were I can. I had forgotten that they paired up Herman and Grandpa in so many episodes as part of comedy team. I have only gotten past the Beverly Owen episodes and I am into the first few with Pat Priest. I must say I liked Beverly better as Marilyn, she seems much more innocent. To bad she was so unhappy in the role. 

I am remembering so many of these shows from seeing them growing up! Today I saw the episode where Herman thinks he's talking to Martians. At the risk of spoiling the episode for you, which I think you may not be, I had remembered seeing the real Martian show up at the end of the episode. I had forgotten what he looked like and when I saw him, I thought he looked familiar. Very Outer Limits like. So I looked it up and I found these images and one site says its the same alien make-up originally used in O.B.I.T. It looks like it is! But the actor's head and eye doesn't quite match up!

Munsters Martian.jpg

obit1.jpg

Oh yeah, in The Motion Picture example, it wasn't really explained in the film why Kirk, Spock and McCoy left the Enterprise. The obvious answer is the 5 year mission ended. Kirk gets promoted and Spock seems to feel lost with the Enterprise. And I guess McCoy wanted to go back to the country. 

#7951 of 11073 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 09:55 AM

Lee, its interesting story about Gerrold and how Gene Coon wrote that scene in Tribbles. I recall hearing it on The Trouble with Tribbles commentary by Gerrold, IIRC. Might have to give that a play soon! So Gerrold thought it went too far. it did seem a bit nasty. But as played, it didn't seem that bad, Spock gave as good as he got. 

I like the McCoy line; McCoy's only way to show "affection", if you will, for Spock is to rib him. 

On the other hand, I just watched "Let That Be Your Last Battlefield" ( a heavy-handed episode IMO - the fast zooms on the red alert make me groan) and when McCoy is treating Lokai and McCoy is unsure of his physiology, Spock says, "Then why are you filling him full of your noxious potions, Doctor?" That seemed harsh, sarcastic, and out of character, not to mention - illogical.

#7952 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:05 AM

Trivia first indeed! Zeon and Ekos are correct. Eminiar VII and Vendikar are certainly in the same system, but we never see anyone from Vendikar, so they cannot apply here.

I like PT-109 also, though haven't seen it in a long time. I thought Cliff Robertson was great because he played the character and didn't give in to the great temptation to do some kind of impression. Does the DVD look as good as the laser disc?

I think the idea of Fred Gwynne and Al Lewis as a comedy team was probably a big part of the selling of The Munsters. They had been together very effectively on Car 54, Where Are You? and on the frequent occasions when Joe E. Ross came close to being fired, the plan was to promote Al Lewis to co-star. Good catch on the Outer Limits connection!

You're right that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy's motives for leaving are not explicitly stated in TMP, but I think their choices imply their motives. And I think we see people make exactly the same mistakes in the real world all the time: accepting promotions that make them unhappy because it feels like the next step; cutting themselves off emotionally to avoid getting hurt; getting fed up with the usual rat race and seeking "freedom" they don't really want.

#7953 of 11073 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:46 AM

You're right that Kirk, Spock, and McCoy's motives for leaving are not explicitly stated in TMP, but I think their choices imply their motives. And I think we see people make exactly the same mistakes in the real world all the time: accepting promotions that make them unhappy because it feels like the next step; cutting themselves off emotionally to avoid getting hurt; getting fed up with the usual rat race and seeking "freedom" they don't really want.

Is it ever explicitly stated that they finished their 5-year mission?

#7954 of 11073 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,065 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:57 AM

Lee, okay, we must actually see the beings from different planets in the same system. Okay, do the Vians and Gem's planet count?

The PT-109 DVD does look better then the laser disc! That's just from memory without a direct comparison, but I'm positive that resolution goes way up! There's a few specks of dust and things like that, but a far better looking transfer then one would expect from a film that gets no remastering love at all! You can see the detail on the boat hull and skin and hair detail far better.

I've never seen Car 54 Where Are You? much. It's on MeTV Saturday night right after Get Smart and I didn't make it and fell asleep last night! The one or two times I did see it, Al Lewis wasn't featured as much. Odd to see him as a cop!

#7955 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:58 AM

Not explicitly as I recall. But Kirk tells Scotty he spent "five years" dealing with situations like this, so he wouldn't exactly call himself "untried."

#7956 of 11073 Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,065 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:59 AM

Bryan, I always liked that noxious potion line!

I don't think the 5 year mission is ever explicitly mentioned in the films, they seemed to "forget" about that and extended the crew's stay on the Enterprise as soon as they went to features. The TNG crew certainly didn't have such a thing!

#7957 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 10:59 AM

Yes, Nelson, that's the uncertain but acceptable answer. Are the Vians native to the Minara system? Who knows? It's a matter of interpretation, so you get the benefit. Two points.

#7958 of 11073 bryan4999

bryan4999

Second Unit

• 464 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 11:53 AM

Perhaps Roddenberry's intention at the beginning was that they would really be on their out there, with little to no contact with Earth. It seems like in "The Cage" there is some mention that a message to Earth would take quite a while. As it evolved, the Federation turned out to be more widespread than suggested early on.

#7959 of 11073 FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,030 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 06:55 PM

That seems right to me, Bryan. Especially since the early episodes avoid any reference to a "Federation." It's always some variation on a United Earth.

#7960 of 11073 Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,044 posts

Posted May 05 2013 - 07:09 PM

Nelson,

Those are some awesome images from TOL and The Munsters.  I've always thought that O.B.I.T. was one of the very best of the series, and a very creepy episode, and not solely because of "The Bear."  The psychological underpinnings are chilling, and the rampant paranoia that results and the fact that it's another of the Gerd Oswald gems make it all the more frightening from the standpoints of the camera and lighting.  It almost reminds me of another of my favorites from the series, in that both seem to have "... oddly disturbing, unspoken undercurrents." ;)

Edited by Ockeghem, May 05 2013 - 07:10 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users