Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Best Answer Nelson Au , June 10 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think there is at least one more Scott Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11936 replies to this topic

#11081 of 11937 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 04:31 AM

I had an unscheduled layover at Sigma Iotia II last night.  Although I liked the one book I read while there, I believe I left my communicator with Bela Oxmyx. ;)

50obr22.jpg

Or perhaps it is now in the hands of one Jo Jo Krako?

50obr38.jpg

Either way, I don't want any more cracks about the book.

50obr19.jpg

#11082 of 11937 OFFLINE   Lou Sytsma

Lou Sytsma

Producer

• 5,362 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 08:50 AM

Heheh - printed books in the 23rd Century.  

Every man is my superior, in that I may learn from him.

#11083 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 08:57 AM

Right? Check.

I read through the StarTrek.com coverage of the Vegas convention. Almost as good as being there! I've been to so many conventions, I can really almost feel like I was there. Nice to read about the DS9 reunion. Nice that Terry Farrell stays involved. She still fit in that costume! That was a nice change of pace from the usual answer and questions thing. It's great the actors are willing to putting on the Klingon makeup too at past conventions.

And nice to see the Enterprise and Voyager reunions too.

The wall of art from Mr. Ortiz is a good idea! Nice to see that the convention has brought in new activities and things to see and hear. I sort of got tired of conventions because the only reason I would go was to see the actors. And today, you almost don't need to go from all the web coverage or the actors mostly talking about the same things in other venues. But the Vegas one sounds like the one to go to now.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#11084 of 11937 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 09:23 AM

Nelson,

I want to go just to sit in the theater dedicated to Dr. McCoy. :)

#11085 of 11937 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 03 2014 - 09:24 PM

Heheh - printed books in the 23rd Century.

It was really from the 1990s, though; pre-Kindle!

The Ortiz wall looked great. The Guardian of Forever wasn't particularly evocative of the original, but I would have happily done the photo op in the transporter.

#11086 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 04 2014 - 11:21 PM

Wow, Dawn Wells just off Gilligans Island auditioned for the part of Roberta Lincoln? And Roddenberry didn't think she was right. I think in the end, as written, he wanted what Teri Garr naturally exuded, that kooky nature she has. From the quotes, it seems her only real negative experience was the constant adjustment to her skirt costume. But she sounded like it was just par for the course. So I didn't get what recent times have painted her as not having a good experience doing Assignment: Earth.

Interesting chapter overall. Lansing had a good deal. Hard to imagine some of the other actors being considered for Gary Seven!

#11087 of 11937 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:37 AM

Guys,

I watched another episode of Perry Mason last night.  In the episode there is a wonderful clip (which I paused) showing Kathie Browne (Deela) and Sherry Jackson (Andrea) in glorious black and white.  I wish I could find a still of that exact clip to show you, because the positioning of the two actresses one behind the other was very Lal and Thann-like as seen in The Empath (although not quite as angled one to the other).  In any event, here are two separate stills from the episode:

Sherry_e190.jpg

Kathie_e190.jpg

#11088 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 07:29 PM

Scott, your images are not showing, or the links are broken.

#11089 of 11937 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:05 PM

Nelson,

Thanks.  I wondered about that.  I left them as is because I thought it could be from my end only.  I will either fix or delete from work tomorrow.

#11090 of 11937 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 09:45 PM

I can imagine some of the other actors Roddenberry considered. McGoohan would have been very interesting, although that would surely have ended any idea of flirtation with Roberta Lincoln.

As for Teri Garr, I am afraid that WE are the problem for her. Most of her complaints in later years, and her refusal to discuss the experience, seem to stem from a great distaste for Star Trek fans rather than from problems making the episode. "Kooky" is exactly the right word, by the way, and she did bring that dimension to it. When the computer describes her as being highly intelligent in spite of her behavior, it really rang true with Ms. Garr. It wasn't the most polished or powerful performance in Star Trek history, but she was a great fit for the role.

#11091 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 05 2014 - 10:14 PM

Lee, you surprise me regarding McGoohan. No flirtation with Miss Lincoln? He would have definitely brought a totally different dimension to the role. Maybe Miss Lincoln would be dong the flirtation! Interesting, I would never have thought of this before. My main impression of McGoohan is from his role in The Prisoner as the angry Number 6. I've seen a handful of Danger Man episodes and not even whole episodes plus some of his films and Columbo. But I could imagine the pairing could almost have a Steed and Peel kind of thing with the proper British and kooky American.

So I had no idea Ms Garr is averse to the fans. Someone must have really given her a bad experience to turn her off to Star Trek. That's really unfortunate. So many of the other guest stars must not have experienced it or were able to deal with it.

#11092 of 11937 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 07:11 AM

McGoohan was a very thoughtful actor and he could project a dry humor that would have worked for the character. But he was both uncomfortable with and philosophically opposed to onscreen romance so that element of the show would have to have been different. (Although you make a good point about making it more one-sided. That dynamic can also be interesting to watch.) Burt Reynolds is the name that jumps out as different, but in 1967, he would have been much less different. The self-effacing, fun Reynolds persona came later, first on talk shows and game shows, and then in some very popular movies starting in the mid 70s. But at the time of Assignment: Earth, he was a very serious, almost brooding personality.

Too bad indeed about Ms. Garr. Perhaps she was upset by what she feels is disproportionate attention on an unimportant moment in her career, and so blames the people giving it that attention. Only a thought--she is one of the few guests in the position of having had a subsequent period of very great popular success and so there are probably other parts of her career about which she would rather reminisce.

I think I lost track of the trivia question. Which double roles have not been identified yet?

#11093 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 08:34 AM

Lee, you are right, I had forgotten about McGoohan's position regarding on screen romances. Strange given he's an actor. Agreed about your thoughts of what he'd bring. Reynolds in my mind, while brooding at that time of his career, seems a little too rough and tumble for the part.

Perhaps someday, Ms. Garr will be in a more reflective mood and look back at the Star Trek experience as something that really helped her career as she has already noted in the quotes from Cushman's book.

Lee, regarding the question, I'm rushing out to work, but here's a recap of where we left off. I sort of thought you guys wanted to move on, so I wasn't sweating this one, it wasn't a question worthy of the quality of questions we've been working with. I did add Bruce Mars to the list. A monk? :)

Stewart Moss - Lee - Joe Tormolan and Hamar
John Harmon - Tepo and Rodent
Jon Lormer - Scott - Theodore Haskins, Tamar and old man.
Mark Lenard - Scott - Romulan Commander and Sarek
Diana Muldaur - Scott- Drs Ann Mulhall and Miranda Jones, and later Polaski.
Laurence Montaigne
William Campbell - Scott, Koloth and Trelane
Morgan Woodward
Morgan Farley
Barbara Babcock
Barry Russo
Charles Macaulay
Ian Wolfe
Bart LaRue
Craig Hundley
Phyllis Douglas
Bruce Mars

#11094 of 11937 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:07 AM

Lawrence Montaigne--Decius and Stonn (I bet they wish they had saved the ears!)

Bruce Mars--Finnegan and the confused cop in Assignment: Earth

Barbara Babcock--Mea and Philana (plus Trelane's mother, the Beta Five, and Commander Loskene vocally)

And we mentioned Skip Homeier--Melakon and Dr. Sevrin

#11095 of 11937 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 09:12 AM

Nelson,

The images (post 11087) are showing up fine for me now.  Just in case, here is the link which shows both actresses. :)

http://www.perrymaso...php?episode=190

I'm sure Lee knows all of these by heart, but I'll answer a few of the remaining ones.

Barry Russo - Commodore Wesley and Giotto

Phyllis Douglas - Yeoman Mears and 'Space Hippie' girl

Ian Wolfe - Septimus and Atoz

Craig Hundley - Peter Kirk and Tommy Starnes

Morgan Woodward - Dr. Van Gelder and Capt. Tracey

Charles Macaulay - Landru and Jaris

Bart LaRue - Announcer (Ekosians) and Announcer (Romans)

#11096 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 06 2014 - 10:15 PM

Here's where we are with the question, great work guys!

John Harmon - Lee- Tepo and Rodent
Laurence Montaigne - Lee- Decius and Stonn
Morgan Woodward - Scott- Tracy and Van Gelder
Morgan Farley -
Barbara Babcock - Lee - Mea and Philana, plus others
Barry Russo - Scott- Wesley and Giotto
Charles Macaulay - Scott - Jaris and Landru
Ian Wolfe - Scott - Septimus and AtoZ
Bart LaRue - Scott - announcer on Ekos and Roman TV
Craig Hundley - Scott - Peter Kirk and Tommy Starnes
Phyllis Douglas - Scott - Mears and hippie girl
Bruce Mars - Lee - Finnegan and cop
Skip Homeier - Lee - Melakon and Sevrin

I still can't see the image Scott. Maybe because I'm using the HTF app on my tablet. I did look up the episode via your link and saw the images. Great data base there! Then I looked up the title to see the air date. That episode aired in 1963. Funny how both women looked older there! I'm sure it had to do with the hairstyles and make up.

#11097 of 11937 ONLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 11:39 AM

Morgan Farley was Hacom in The Return of the Archons and the very grumpy Yang in The Omega Glory.

In other news, I watched a failed 1975 pilot on YouTube called Conspiracy of Terror and we have a six: David Opatoshu, Arlene Martel, Roger Perry, Logan Ramsey, Jon Lormer, and Stewart Moss.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#11098 of 11937 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 12:41 PM

That's great, Lee.  I've been watching Perry Mason hoping to catch a seven.  Even one 'seven' will do! :)  So it looks like your example ties my Insight example, if memory serves.

#11099 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 01:23 PM

I must not be watching enough or the right TV shows! I have not seen that many guest stars on a show with guest actors that appeared on TOS, just one or two.

Lee got the last answer from the list of actors below with Morgan Farley. An actor we've discussed in the past among several who were born in the 19th Century!

John Harmon - Lee- Tepo and Rodent
Laurence Montaigne - Lee- Decius and Stonn
Morgan Woodward - Scott- Tracy and Van Gelder
Morgan Farley - Lee - Hacom and grumpy Yang
Barbara Babcock - Lee - Mea and Philana, plus others
Barry Russo - Scott- Wesley and Giotto
Charles Macaulay - Scott - Jaris and Landru
Ian Wolfe - Scott - Septimus and AtoZ
Bart LaRue - Scott - announcer on Ekos and Roman TV
Craig Hundley - Scott - Peter Kirk and Tommy Starnes
Phyllis Douglas - Scott - Mears and hippie girl
Bruce Mars - Lee - Finnegan and cop
Skip Homeier - Lee - Melakon and Sevrin

That's it for this one. There's got to be more but we should move on!

#11100 of 11937 ONLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,551 posts

Posted August 08 2014 - 11:43 PM

Tonight I indulged in Star Trek TNG's blu ray of Unification with Leonard Nimoy and Malachi Throne.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

Nelson Au