Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films)

Best Answer Nelson Au , June 10 2013 - 04:07 PM

I think there is at least one more Scott Go to the full post

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
11937 replies to this topic

#8621 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted July 31 2013 - 10:57 PM

Thanks Lee. I'm really glad to see the shuttlecraft finally in the hands of capable people with the means to properly save the model. It's led a rough life. I saw it in the early 90's partially restored before the owner ran out of money and motivation and it went on to rot again.

Now its safe and sound! Though I wish it came back to California. But that's a nice venue for it.

#8622 of 11938 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 06:10 AM

Michael Ansara made a few appearances in I Dream Of Jeannie.  But whenever I see him in that series, I can't help but think of Kang.

"It's a scary thought now, but then, only one generation removed from the Holocaust, it would, I think, have yielded an even more visceral reaction from the audience."

I often think of this whenever I see Patterns Of Force, which is a mere twenty-two or so years after the end of World War II.  And the fact that both Shatner and Nimoy are Jewish really rings home with me in that episode.

Edited by Ockeghem, August 01 2013 - 06:12 AM.

#8623 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 06:40 AM

Scott, Lee,

What struck me about the Ansara appearance on Jeannie was how it was such a silly one of sorts. It was for laughs of course and I'm sure he took it in stride as part of the joke and job. Then I had to wonder how he felt and other actors during that era to wear those costumes and play these fantasy type characters. I'm sure many saw it as a living. Seeing Elizabeth Montgomery in the get-up as her more flamboyant cousin Serena also has me wondering how she felt. But it's a job and a living! These are actors and they are paid to do sometimes silly things.

It was a contrast then to see him as Kang and playing it very straight and delivering a memorable and strong character.

I know Nimoy had concerns with the ears but he obviously embraced it early on.

"You wanted show business, by golly you got it!" :)

Scott, Lee, it's very true and I have almost forgotten that WW2 was so close in the memories of those involved in Star Trek, it's not a surprise so many events from the war influenced Star Trek stories.

#8624 of 11938 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 01:14 PM

Well, I did my homework and watched The Grim Reaper and also the Kamehameha episode of Jeannie. The Grim Reaper is still good, but much as I liked your perspective theory, Nelson, it doesn't explain the missing weapon. If it was suicide, there would have to be a weapon besides the one in the painting. Also, if it's his hallucination, why do they all see the blood?

The Jeannie episode...well, let's just hope they had a nice vacation. (Although Bill Daily's Bob Hope thing is always cute: "Why don't we go back to my room and cook it?") Good question about actors in those fantasy shows. I have read that Ms. Montgomery loved playing Serena, but I'm sure some guest stars found the whole thing very odd. Jane Wyatt, for example, had never watched Star Trek when she took the role and until she read the script, she just assumed from the description that it was a comedy of some kind.

I think WWII did have a huge influence on Star Trek. Not only were millions of viewers veterans, but Roddenberry, Coon, Justman, and Freiberger were all combat veterans of that war. I think a lot of the show's philosophy was colored by their experiences and feelings about what they saw.

#8625 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 09:33 PM

Lee, thanks for your insights and reactions to The Grim Reaper viewing. When I saw it, I missed the part as to how Shatner's character killed Ms Schafer's character. And the ending scene when Shatner's character gets his comeuppance, I was watching in bed on a little TV. So I hadn't realized there was blood. I'll have to re-view it. It sounds as literal as you said.

I tuned in really late to the Jeannie episode. Bob Hope had a camero?

Reminds me, I'll have to play the Outer Limits episode: Soldier. That's a fav. And the Voyage To The Bottom Of The Sea film blu ray is coming.

Mrs Wyatt sounds like she had the same reaction as Lucille Ball did. :)

#8626 of 11938 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 01 2013 - 10:01 PM

No, Bob Hope didn't appear. I just meant that I always find Bill Daily's channeling of the Bob Hope persona--the boastful yet cowardly lover--funny, even in a troubled episode like that one.

#8627 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 06:47 AM

Gotcha Lee! I mainly know Bill Daily from his Bob Newhart character, Howard. I haven't really seen Jeannie in ages, so I don't have much of a memory of Roger's character. I liked his Howard character much better! :)

#8628 of 11938 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,947 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 12:52 PM

Michael Ansara has passed away:

http://www.hollywood...ang-dies-598786

#8629 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 01:25 PM

That's unfornate news and odd timing with the Ansara appearance on Jeannie this week.

#8630 of 11938 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 01:29 PM

Wonderful actor who contributed a lot to Star Trek and many other shows. One of the most unmistakeable voices of all time.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#8631 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 01:39 PM

Yes Lee, there are many titles in all our own video libraries to pick from to revisit his work. I'll have to pick a few to watch this weekend.

#8632 of 11938 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 02 2013 - 07:30 PM

Wow, very odd that this occurred at right about the time we were discussing Michael Ansara. :(

#8633 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 01:03 PM

I just watched Blood Oath, the DS9 episode with Kang, Koloth and Kor.

I thought they did a great job with that episode, they each had their moments. I liked that Koloth was written as a character with more teeth. He was sort of comic relief for Trouble with Tribbles.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#8634 of 11938 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 02:21 PM

Nelson,

An awesome episode for sure.  Now you have me wanting to watch that one in honor of Michael Ansara.  The only down side for me (but I suppose it had to happen) was that they did not all survive the episode.  I would have loved to have seen all three together at the end, along with Dax, rejoicing (with blood wine in hand, of course) that they had finally caught up with and killed the 'Albino.'

Edited by Ockeghem, August 03 2013 - 02:23 PM.

#8635 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 02:44 PM

Agreed Scott, they should have all survived, a little beaten up, but they went out gloriously!

I think I'll watch Soldier tonight and if I have it, his Hawaii Five-O appearance, perhaps Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (film) and cap it off with Day of the Dove.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#8636 of 11938 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Ockeghem

• 9,420 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 06:50 PM

Agreed Scott, they should have all survived, a little beaten up, but they went out gloriously!

I think I'll watch Soldier tonight and if I have it, his Hawaii Five-O appearance, perhaps Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea (film) and cap it off with Day of the Dove.

Nelson,

I'm going to watch it as well tonight. :)

"My name is Qarlo Clobregnny, private -- RM EN TN DO"!

warrior1965.jpg

Quarlo_320x573.jpg

Edited by Ockeghem, August 03 2013 - 06:51 PM.

#8637 of 11938 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 07:40 PM

I remember watching Blood Oath when it aired and being very happy about Michael Ansara's work in it. The others were good (particularly John Colicos), but they were playing what felt like entirely separate characters from Kor and Koloth as they had been written and acted the first time. Ansara was the only one who was both good and, to my ear, consistent with his original performance.

I will do my Ansara tribute marathon tomorrow.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#8638 of 11938 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 08:24 PM

Did you guys know about this? I didn't until just this moment.

https://jbmj-book-st...rdbound-edition

Read the excerpt. I read this author's I Spy book and was very impressed. This looks like it might be the book we always say we wished someone would research and write.
  • Ockeghem likes this

#8639 of 11938 OFFLINE   Nelson Au

Nelson Au

Executive Producer

• 11,553 posts

Posted August 03 2013 - 11:46 PM

Lee, definitely had not heard about this book!

But I have to ask, why isn't any of this material in this book not in the
Justman/Solow book? I read 90% of the excerpt, certainly material never seen before to this level. Perhaps the Justman/Solow book is based on their recollections and not researched. The stories from Robert Brown are eye opening!

And then I have to also ask who this publisher is? Not the large reputable ones, like Pocket Books. Sorry to sound suspicious, not imply this book is not from a reputable company. There's a guy listed as a contributor on the About page whose known in the Trek prop community. And he's not someone I have a lot of faith in his knowledge. But he's not writing the book, so I can sort of overlook that.

Regardless, if this book is from a small group that's like a self publisher or start-up, it's certainly got a compelling product. And Lee, if you think the author is legit from his earlier work, then that's certainly a strong recommendation!

Again, I'm sorry to sound suspicious, this webpage just doesn't have that look of a real company and having not heard of this book before raised a red alert for me! It's out very soon too!

Thanks for the heads up!

Edited by Nelson Au, August 03 2013 - 11:47 PM.

• Ockeghem likes this

#8640 of 11938 OFFLINE   FanCollector

FanCollector

Producer

• 4,333 posts

Posted August 04 2013 - 05:28 AM

You are certainly right about the publisher. They were literary agents or publicists or something and this is their first publishing venture. The project was actually funded via a $10,000 Kickstarter campaign. It's probably a publish-on-demand deal. (That also explains the minimal advertising.) The reason that doesn't worry me so much is that the specialized nature of the material means there is no way a major publisher would ever have done this book. Which brings me to your other logical question...

I think Solow and Justman were writing a book that had a chance as a popular title, i.e. a 300-or-so-page book covering the history of a popular television series and peppered with a few primary document excerpts to illustrate their points. They surely had access to all the archival material Cushman is using, and if they wanted to do hundreds of interviews, no one was stopping them. But in my rare rational moments, I am forced to accept the fact that most readers, even most Star Trek fan readers, are not as interested as you and I in studying call sheets from each episode. A three-volume, 1500-page study that goes into daily shooting detail about each episode was not going to be a popular title, so I can see why Justman and Solow went another way.

Cushman's book on I Spy was similar in nature, although about a third of the length of this set. The level of detail regarding the making of each episode was copious. I especially appreciated the ratings information about individual episodes (promised for Star Trek also) because it is so har to come by and provides important context.

The two criticisms I have seen of the I Spy book are: a) an abundance of authorial opinions and b) the book being told too often from Robert Culp's perspective. The first didn't bother me at all because the author's opinions aren't hidden. They are easily identified, as when in the excerpt of this one he calls The Alternative Factor the worst episode of the season. Many of the greatest books about television shows (e.g. The Twilight Zone Companion and The Columbo Phile) include authorial opinions.

The second criticism is more valid, although certainly not anything that ruined the book. I am hoping that in this case, there was no one person whose interview was extensive enough to dominate the work.

I ordered mine, so I will let you know how it is when I receive it. (Although it might take a few extra hours to read all 600 pages...)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users