What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (3 Viewers)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
I thought it might be fun to start a trivia thread for all six Trek series (TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, and ENT) as well as all of the films.
I will start it out, and see if there is any interest. The first person who correctly answers the question gets to go next if they wish. I think the person who asked the question should be the one to say whether the question was correctly answered or not, within a reasonable amount of time--say a day or two? Enjoy. :)
I will ask two questions to begin with, mostly because one of them is quite easy, and I have to make at least one of them somewhat challenging.
1) Identify two episodes in which we see this pic:

2) Name two people in Trek who say the word 'alacrity.' Hint: It is used in at least two episodes (one each from two different series).

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
No one has tried yet?
Okay, then I will!
1. The foot prints are first seen in Shoreleave, the White Rabbit. The second time was in A Private Little War as the Mugatu.
2. This one is harder, Spock says it first in Catspaw to Kirk as they try to climb out of the cell. The other person I will have to guess. It's likely to be Data from TNG and I seem to recall, it seemed like an homage to TOS, or Picard said it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Yikes! I thought I knew trivia, but I was going to say the Gorn (and Mugatu)!

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
No one has tried yet?
Okay, then I will!
1. The foot prints are first seen in Shoreleave, the White Rabbit. The second time was in A Private Little War as the Mugatu.
2. This one is harder, Spock says it first in Catspaw to Kirk as they try to climb out of the cell. The other person I will have to guess. It's likely to be Data from TNG and I seem to recall, it seemed like an homage to TOS, or Picard said it.
Nelson,
Very well done! The first question is correct, and with regard to the second question, it was indeed Capt. Picard. You're up next. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Scott!
Well, after a very short period of thinking, I have two trivia questions that might be interesting. They are both TOS based. Should be easy for the fan of science fiction TV.
1. Besides Gene Roddenberry and Gene Coon, name two behind the scenes production personnel that contributed greatly to the production of Star Trek, but also had a similar contribution to The Outer Limits, the original.
2. And secondly, this one might be real easy. Name the sci-fi classic film which greatly influenced Star Trek TOS from the look to the certain registry numbers on the U.S.S. Enterprise. Extra credit if you can name the numbers. Hint, one of the actors of the sci-fi film guest starred on TOS.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Nelson Au said:
1. Besides Gene Roddenberry and Gene Coon, name two behind the scenes production personnel that contributed greatly to the production of Star Trek, but also had a similar contribution to The Outer Limits, the original.
I'll take the first one.
Fred Phillips: Makeup the whole series.
Robert Justman: Production for some episodes, but he also did some assistant directing as well for a lot more episodes.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
If I may take the second question from Nelson, the answer is Forbidden Planet. I don't know the registry number, but the actor who starred in Forbidden Planet and also did a guest stint on TOS was Warren Stevens, who appeared in "By Any Other Name."

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
You guys are good!
Joel, you're correct. I was thinking of Robert Justman and someone else actually. But Fred Philips is correct!
Mike, Correct, Forbidden Planet and Warren Stevens was in By Any Other Name and The Outer Limts, I just remembered that!
I bet Paul or someone can name the OL episode Stevens was in.
I won't name the other production person on Trek and Outer Limits in case someone can name him. He did contribute to the look of both shows. And someone must know the registry number! It was in the dialogue of Forbidden Planet between Commander Adams and Jerry Farman early in the film.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
I won't name the other production person on Trek and Outer Limits in case someone can name him. He did contribute to the look of both shows. And someone must know the registry number! It was in the dialogue of Forbidden Planet between Commander Adams and Jerry Farman early in the film.
Just a general comment. I love this film (I have it on VHS at this point). I saw "Robby the Robot" in a Trek-related museum exhibit about seven or eight years ago. And War of the Robots (from Lost In Space) remains a favorite episode of mine.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Correct, Keeper of the Purple Twilight! I was curious after reading your comment about about the The Twilight Zone, so I looked it up, he did do an original Twilight Zone called Dead Man's Shoes. He also did one of the new Twilight Zones.
I saw Robby at the Science Fiction museum in Seattle, there was so much cool stuff in there. Also Gort and The Robot from Lost in Spece there too.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
Correct, Keeper of the Purple Twilight! I was curious after reading your comment about about the The Twilight Zone, so I looked it up, he did do an original Twilight Zone called Dead Man's Shoes. He also did one of the new Twilight Zones.
I saw Robby at the Science Fiction museum in Seattle, there was so much cool stuff in there. Also Gort and The Robot from Lost in Spece there too.
Nelson,
Thanks for looking that up. I wasn't certain.
I loved seeing Robby at the museum. And Gort! I think that he was what, eight feet tall or something? I loved the premise of that film. The doomsday element (in the event peace could not be maintained betwen the inhabitants on Gort's home planet) was chilling, and the fact that nothing could stop Gort was great. The Day the Earth Stood Still was one of the first sci-fi films I ever saw as a child, and it was quite frightening in parts. I thought Michael Rennie and Patricia Neal were both quite good in it.
Klaatu Barada Nikto! I remember trying to pull those words out of Patricia Neal's mouth when Gort was about what, two feet away from her? ;)
htf_imgcache_27071.jpeg

Not to get too far off track, but didn't Forbidden Planet (1956) have one of the first electronic sound tracks in a film?
BTW, both Joel and Mike got your questions correct. I don't think anyone has guessed the bonus aspect of your question yet. I know I could not without looking it up. It's your call who goes next. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
If there's no objection then I'll name the bonus answer: 1701.
In Forbidden Planet, that was the coordinate position or somesort of designation for location as soon as the C57D comes out of hyperdrive at the begining of the film. NCC-1701 is the registry number for the Enterprise.
And the other production person who worked on both The Outer Limits and Star Trek was Wah Chang. He had done all the creature design and fabrication. You can see the birdlike creature once used in Outer Limits in the Trek pilot, The Cage. It was part of the menagerie of creatures in the cells. Wah Chang designed the Salt Creature in The Man Trap, the Gorn in Arena, and designed and built the tricorder and communicator.
I think you're right Scott, Forbidden Planet was the first to use a whole electronic score. I recall seeing both Forbidden Planet and The Day The Earth Stood Still as a kid on TV and they both, plus War of the Worlds stuck with me!
Forgot to add this link to a guy whose main focus is creating replicas of famous robots: Fred Barton Productions : Celebrity Robots Brought to Life
Since Joel and Mike were correct, why don't they both submit a question.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson Au said:
And the other production person who worked on both The Outer Limits and Star Trek was Wah Chang. He had done all the creature design and fabrication. You can see the birdlike creature once used in Outer Limits in the Trek pilot, The Cage. It was part of the menagerie of creatures in the cells. Wah Chang designed the Salt Creature in The Man Trap, the Gorn in Arena, and designed and built the tricorder and communicator.
Remember when Kirk was beamed up from Rura Penthe right before the answer to his question was forthcoming, and he said something like "Damn it to! ... Of all the ...!"? Well, that's what I feel like saying after flubbing the Wah Chang question. I am a huge fan of his make-up. He was, in a word, brilliant. For some reason, I just wasn't thinking of him, but rather people like Gerd Oswald, Ben Brady, Seeleg Lester, etc. Had there been some type of Janos Prohaska angle, Chang might have entered my mind, as I tend to think of those two often in the same breath. ;)
BTW, wasn't the birdlike creature (that is to say, the Megazoid from The Duplicate Man) the one that was used in The Cage? I think so. What a brilliant make-up person (with no CGI!) Chang was. The Salt Creature (from The Man Trap) was the general public's first impression of aliens in Trek as well, as it was the first episode aired. Wow.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
Nelson, I thought you meant the registry number on the Forbidden Planet ship. Obviously we all know the registry number for the Enterprise. LOL! I didn't realize Roddenberry got that number from Forbidden Planet as well. Very kewl!

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
Okay, here's a question.

Besides the stuff Nelson mentioned, what space ship did Wah Chang design for Star Trek?

He may have done several, but there's one in particular I'm thinking of.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
A separate post here.

Matt Jefferies (equivalent to todays "production designer' and designer of the Enterprise itself) came up with the registry number for the Enterprise. There were many ideas floating about on where the inspiration actually came from. Some assumed it was based on Matt's own plane registry number (he was a pilot and had his own plane and the notion was apparently attributed to Matt himself early on) - it's close but not quite the same. Matt later said that it was simply those combination of numbers that was the easiest to see and recognize.

But, who knows if the seed was planted much earlier.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Joel Fontenot said:
Here's a question.
Besides the stuff Nelson mentioned, what space ship did Wah Chang design for Star Trek?
He may have done several, but there's one in particular I'm thinking of.
Joel,
Good question. Might it be the first Romulan ship? Or is it something more obvious than that?

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, yes, it was the Megazoid. I didn't recall the name.
Sorry I threw you guys off. Matt Jeffries designed the Enterprise, and I suspect he might have had some influence on the registry number. That's what I've read. (I see Paul posted his before I did this)
Good question Joel! I know this one, but I'll disqualify myself.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
My first thought was Gorn on those footprints, but then remembered Shore Leave and the rabbit.
I noticed CBS.com is streaming Trek. It's not the enhanced version unfortunately. I've never seen those and would love to without having to pay for them.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SaladinNagasawa
    Recent bookmarks