-

Photo
- - - - -

Any "Vampire Weekend" fans here?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

#1 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 09 2008 - 05:38 AM

On a whim, I turned on SNL last night just as Vampire Weekend was about to play. Holy sh*t, I REALLY dig this band. They played "M79" and I was blown away. I then spent most of the night trying to find MP3s of their stuff and bought the album today. Great stuff...like a mixture of "Graceland"-era Paul Simon, African beats, The Police and classical yet it works so well. Then to top it off, I go and check the Bonnaroo lineup hoping that they'd be there and sure enough they are. Sweet. Posted Image
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#2 of 11 OFFLINE   Dome Vongvises

Dome Vongvises

Lead Actor

• 8,174 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 12:42 PM

I like them. It's a very laid back album, and I can forsee this being something nice to listen to when Spring and Summer roll around.

#3 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dome Vongvises
I like them. It's a very laid back album, and I can forsee this being something nice to listen to when Spring and Summer roll around.

To me, it's more upbeat than laid back. Agreed...it's gonna be a great one to listen to with the windows rolled down.
"Music is a magic carpet loaded with oils and other soothing potions, it's just what you need when you don't know what you need, when you've got more questions than answers." - Bob Lefsetz

#4 of 11 OFFLINE   Brian L

Brian L

Screenwriter

• 2,882 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Reda
To me, it's more upbeat than laid back. Agreed...it's gonna be a great one to listen to with the windows rolled down.

I caught a short bit of their 1st song during the SNL performance. Initial impressions....I thought they sounded exactly like The Shins.

Brian

#5 of 11 OFFLINE   Jeff_A

Jeff_A

Screenwriter

• 1,459 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
. . . Initial impressions....I thought they sounded exactly like The Shins.

Brian

I haven't heard them yet, but now I am very optimistic.

#6 of 11 OFFLINE   Craig S

Craig S

Producer

• 5,511 posts
  • LocationLeague City, Texas

Posted March 12 2008 - 12:24 PM

I caught them on SNL as well, and immediately bought the album from Amazon's MP3 store (only $8). Great stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian L
Initial impressions....I thought they sounded exactly like The Shins.

Brian
Hmm, can't say I agree with this. I think Ron described their sound quite well. The Soweto influence is prevalent in every song.

Three truths about movies, as noted by Roger Ebert:

* It's not what a movie is about, it's how it is about it.

* No good movie is too long, and no bad movie is short enough.

* No good movie is depressing, all bad movies are depressing.

#7 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 12 2008 - 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig S
I caught them on SNL as well, and immediately bought the album from Amazon's MP3 store (only $8). Great stuff.

Hmm, can't say I agree with this. I think Ron described their sound quite well. The Soweto influence is prevalent in every song.

Add in a dash of Talking Heads?

#8 of 11 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 01:00 AM

A buddy have me the cd and I'm really digging it. Love the use of strings as more than a sappy backup, and the beats are very interesting.
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#9 of 11 OFFLINE   Ron Reda

Ron Reda

Screenwriter

• 2,281 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gilvey
A buddy have me the cd and I'm really digging it. Love the use of strings as more than a sappy backup, and the beats are very interesting.

Yeah, this CD has really taken me. I can't seem to get it outta my head. Plus, it's nice that you can listen to the entire CD in like 35 minutes...ADD worthy to say the least! Posted Image

#10 of 11 OFFLINE   Jack Gilvey

Jack Gilvey

Producer

• 4,952 posts

Posted January 20 2009 - 11:07 AM

Lost my copy so I picked up another at Best Buy today (along with "Surfing With The Alien" and "Tommy" on DVD-A(!)). Still digging it. Posted Image
SVS Customer Service
http://www.svsound.com
sales@svsound.com
techsupport@svsound.com

#11 of 11 OFFLINE   Aaron Silverman

Aaron Silverman

Lead Actor

• 9,510 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted January 21 2009 - 02:43 AM

There's an 11-minute mini-concert by this group online at Wolfgang's Vault.
"How wonderful it will be to have a leader unburdened by the twin horrors of knowledge and experience." -- Mr. Wick

Back to Music & Soundtracks

Forum Nav Content I Follow