What's new

Using both inputs on subs. (1 Viewer)

mitch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mitchell Miles
Hi All,

I am now using two subs in my home theater system; the infamous and all powerful SVS PB12/Plus 2 and my older sub, the very accurate and beautfiful Velodyne HGS-15.

The system sounds great with the two subs. It really fills in the home theater room in my finished basement. Being a "bass-aholic" like myself, movies are fantastic to watch.

My question is: I have the subwoofer signal split comming from the receiver with a Y connector, then the two cables from the Y connector going to both subs [one sub is in the front of the room [the Velodyne] and one in the rear of the room [SVS]. How important is it to have double inputs going into the sub as opposed to a single plug? Some say that you get a better signal if you use a Y connector for two plugs at the sub imputs as opposed to one.

Does anyone have any information on this as I want the best sound that I can get out of my system [as we all do!] and getting two Y connectors would be pretty cheap to buy for the sub inputs. I don't even know if they make single female/two male Y connectors

Thanks for the information as always!

Mitch

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Both inputs on a sub's plate amp are summed internally. Adding a "Y", you are cutting the signal in half (3db drop), feeding both inputs and then combining the signal. No change other than adding additional connections in your signal chain.

Your time and money would be best spent calibrating. Level matching with an SPL meter at the minimum. Real time analyzer and a parametric EQ for ultimate tweaking.

-Robert

Kurt Ferguson

Auditioning
As was already said, the two inputs are just summed internally, since they are just going to one subwoofer. The only real change you get from the Y splitter is as Robert said, you cut the signal strength in half. That's not particularly important provided the voltage isn't getting too anemic, which I doubt it would be. The gain on the two subs should be able to easily compensate for the reduced signal level anyway. So in short, you should be fine.

Mjorgensen

Grip
Real Name
Mark Jorgensen
Will the reduced signal be cleaner, or just less db? I have the JL Gotham and the engineers at JL said it would be better to use a Y connector and use both inputs.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN

You ARE a bassoholic! I have the PB 12 Plus/2 and can't imagine ever wanting more bass.

"I wanna party with you cowboy!"

John

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The signal should be the same except 3db lower when split. Did you speak directly to the engineers at JL or did that come via 2nd hand information? You can post this question using "JL" in the subject line at AVS Forum and there is a good chance that Manville Smith will answer it.

-Robert

Mjorgensen

Grip
Real Name
Mark Jorgensen

This information came from my dealer and when they recieved my Gotham this is what was relayed to them from JL. I will PM Mr. Smith for the skinny.

Thanks,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks