What's new

And the Defacto SAG strike begins in June? (1 Viewer)

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston
I put this here, because this is really affecting feature film productions more at the moment than TV. And being that this is SAG and not WGA related...it really did not fit in with the WGA thread in the TV section. But...as posted on IMDbPro News today.

I know that this has actually been the case for a few weeks already. No insurance company is giving insurance for any film shoot if they cannot guarantee they will be done before June 15th for fear of a SAG stike happening after that and then any production caught up in the middle of a shoot would essentially be screwed. Paychecks would have to continue to be paid for other union folks until the potential strike would be done...or other actions taken.

So...The stoppage of work in Hollywood has happened again. Only this time, it is really the film side that is affected more. TV is done on a lot quicker scehdule. Late Night TV will continue all the way up to the SAG action...as well as episodic shows, etc...

But film shoots that are on set for weeks and months at a time...well...now those are stopped and nothing is happening again. I know a couple films I have in the pipeline are now in limbo pending any SAG actions or resolutions for their next contract. And that again...sucks...

Deja Vu...

Discuss...

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
What a misleading title to this thread. At this point it is speculation that a strike may happen, in 4 months. Any stoppage of production is not due to an actual strike.

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

Hence the word "Defacto".

The fear of a strike is causing insurance companies to not insure productions that cannot guarantee completion by June 15th...which means any film that would start right about now. So...film productions that would otherwise be getting underway will not begin now.

Spielberg has already pushed his shoot of the Chicago 7 to later in the fall when they were supposed to start next month for this reason. That is one example of many.

If SAG and AFTRA settle early...this will all go away at that time. But even SAG and AFTRA are infighting now on the best way to proceed for their unions.

So...the end result is once again...a lot of folks...especially "below the line" folks are now without work once again, this time mostly on the film side. TV productions which are daily or much shorter in nature will continue until a strike actually happens.

This will continue to hit the entertainment and SoCal economy that is already significantly bruised.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
> Late Night TV will continue all the way up to the SAG action.

Would late night even be affected? If so, why?

Brian W. Ralston

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian W. Ralston

As are most of thier guests. All of their appearances on these shows would be governed by SAG rules and such as a television appearance.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
So what is happening in this strike? Are they close to resolving or is this coming down to the wire?

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
AFTRA has settled, SAG has not (I don't know if they've even started negotiating). It's expected to at least go down to the wire, with the producers trying to get the actors to accept a deal like AFTRA, the directors, and writers have taken, while the actors insist they have somewhat different needs.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Well being a grip in the Vancouver Film industry I can personally say that 3 months of not working cause of the Writers strike not to mention the after affects I am dyign for this to get resolved!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks