Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Dirty Harry from Warner on 6/3/08

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
30 replies to this topic

#1 of 31 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 03 2008 - 01:54 PM

Didn't see it mentioned here. The Digital Bits is reporting a Blu-ray release on 6/3/08. We knew it was around the corner, but it's nice to have a date.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#2 of 31 OFFLINE   Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,890 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted March 03 2008 - 03:51 PM

I initially got excited, and then realized I have never watched any of these films since I got the WB DVD box set Posted Image. I think I will wait a while before I upgrade. There will be enough new titles to buy, so unless there are a lot of great sales I will be doing fewer format double dips...

#3 of 31 OFFLINE   Jim_K

Jim_K

Executive Producer

• 10,089 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 11:26 PM

Well for me catalog titles like this get me way more excited than 95% of new films that come out.

I wonder if these will be available individually. If so I might just opt for Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and Sudden Impact which are the best of the bunch to me. If not then I'll still get the set.
Death before Streaming!

#4 of 31 OFFLINE   Matt Butler

Matt Butler

Screenwriter

• 1,921 posts

Posted March 04 2008 - 03:27 AM

Ill buy. I traded off some of my sdvds and need to replace some of them
My Blu Rays
http://www.blu-ray.c...ol...=Dj Matt B

Favorite films of all time in no order
1. Zodiac 2. Dawn of the Dead (1978) 3. The Good The Bad and The Ugly 4. Blade Runner 5. The Warriors 6. Dark Knight 7. The Godfather  8. Bullitt 9. Experiment in Terror 10. Raiders of the Lost...

#5 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 04 2008 - 05:00 AM

I can't make up my mind about this set. I've seen Dirty Harry and The Dead Pool. I think I've seen Sudden Impact, but I don't think I've seen Magnum Force and The Enforcer. I can't say any of them were particularly memorable, although I realize Dirty Harry was pretty cutting edge for its time. I guess I'll bite if I can find a really good deal.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal
, Out of Africa, and Traffic.

#6 of 31 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,053 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted March 04 2008 - 12:52 PM

Dirty Harry, Magnum Force and Sudden Impact are the best of the bunch. The Enforcer isn't bad (although Tyne Daly REALLY gets on my nerves), and The Dead Pool is only worth seeing for Liam Neeson and Jim Carrey in early roles.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#7 of 31 OFFLINE   Gary Murrell

Gary Murrell

Supporting Actor

• 675 posts

Posted March 05 2008 - 06:00 AM

Magnum Force is a true classic 70's cop film, written by John Milius with amazing cinemascope images, whats not to like? Posted Image

they are all superb in my book with the Dead Pool being the least obviously

-Gary

#8 of 31 OFFLINE   Carter of Mars

Carter of Mars

Stunt Coordinator

• 245 posts

Posted March 05 2008 - 06:25 AM

Hopefully Warners will see fit to include the original mono tracks on the earlier films.

#9 of 31 OFFLINE   JonZ

JonZ

Lead Actor

• 7,793 posts

Posted March 06 2008 - 12:38 AM

Dirty Harry is a film that kind of special to me. I remember seeing in the theaters as a kid and have always loved it.

There was a thread in the movie section awhile with people debating whether Callihan was a fascist or not that was kind of amusing. I really consider it to be a minor masterpiece.

I enjoyed Magnum Force, but to me its not in DHs league. A HD disc is a must own for me.

#10 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 06 2008 - 01:49 AM

I think the biggest problem I am having with this release is that there is not an option to buy them separately. Yet. I'm sure there will be eventually. So, again, if I can find a crazy good deal on the boxset, I'll pick them all up. Otherwise, I'll probably only pick up the first movie.
Universal Blu-ray Discs I will not be buying while they're offered only as Blu-ray + DVD 'flipper' discs:

The Jackal

#11 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,298 posts

Posted March 06 2008 - 10:35 AM

I am so all over the Dirty Harry Box set on Blu-ray! Posted Image Posted ImagePosted Image

I also can not wait for the Clint Eastwood westerns to hit Blu-ray. Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#12 of 31 OFFLINE   Brandon Conway

Brandon Conway

Lead Actor

• 7,281 posts
  • LocationNorth Hollywood, CA

Posted March 07 2008 - 05:22 AM

Home Media Magazine has an article on this release in the 3/9/08 issue. Right now, it looks like a 5-disc set for $129.95, and a "coffee book" edition of the first film individually for $34.99 (similar to the upcoming Bonnie & Clyde). No word on individual releases of the other films (or a non-coffee book individual release on the first film). It's worth noting that there are individual releases of each film coming to DVD.

Also, the article mentions that Warner plans on doing this "coffee book" packaging for ~10 titles over the next year to help promote Blu-ray Disc. Future releases planned for this line include Woodstock, Harry Potter films, Blade Runner, Gone with the Wind, and North by Northwest.

"And now the reprimand, from an American critic. He reproaches me for using film as a sacred & lasting medium, like a painting or a book. He does not believe that filmmaking is an inferior art, but he believes, and quite rightly, that a reel goes quickly, that the public are looking above all for relaxation, that film is fragile and that it is pretentious to express the power of one's soul by such ephemeral and delicate means, that Charlie Chaplin's or Buster Keaton's first films can only be seen on very rare and badly spoiled prints. I add that the cinema is making daily progress and that eventually films that we consider marvelous today will soon be forgotten because of new dimensions & colour. This is true. But for 4 weeks this film [The Blood of a Poet] has been shown to audiences that have been so attentive, so eager & so warm, that I wonder after all there is not an anonymous public who are looking for more than relaxation in the cinema." - Jean Cocteau, 1932

#13 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 07 2008 - 05:48 AM

While this 'coffee book' is an interesting idea, I fear it is simply a way to gouge the enthusiast. I would like to have the choice to buy the movie in a standard keepcase as well without the 'coffee book' and markup that goes along with it.

The Jackal

#14 of 31 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,221 posts

Posted March 09 2008 - 09:37 PM

Full specs:
DVD Times - Dirty Harry Collection (US BD) in June

I like these all!

#15 of 31 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 04:00 AM

Fabulous! This will be mine. Even though I don't care for a couple of the films, I HAVE to have the 1st two films & apparently "Magnum Force" won't be available as a stand alone title. Posted Image
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#16 of 31 OFFLINE   James L White

James L White

Supporting Actor

• 840 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 11:56 AM

All over this box set

Bad Dirt Harry movies are still better than 90% of the stuff out there
Samsung HL-S5688W 56" DLP
Panasonic TC-P50X1 50" Plasma TV (bedroom)
Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD's
Panasonic BMP-BD60
Sony BDP300 Blu Rays (bedroom)

#17 of 31 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,298 posts

Posted March 10 2008 - 02:35 PM

Are there any links out there that have the Blu-ray art work on what the Dirty Harry Blu-ray will look like yet? Anyone have links for the artwork yet?
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#18 of 31 OFFLINE   Jesse Blacklow

Jesse Blacklow

Screenwriter

• 2,049 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Moritz
Are there any links out there that have the Blu-ray art work on what the Dirty Harry Blu-ray will look like yet? Anyone have links for the artwork yet?
Ask, and ye shall receive:

DVD Times - Dirty Harry Collection (US BD) in June - Artwork added
"Would I rather be feared or loved? Um...easy, both. I want people to be afraid of how much they love me."
--Michael Scott, The Office

"When I get sad I just stop being sad and be awesome instead. True story."
--Barney Stinson, How I Met Your Mother

#19 of 31 OFFLINE   Jari K

Jari K

Producer

• 3,221 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James L White
Bad Dirt Harry movies are still better than 90% of the stuff out there

That´s true! Posted Image

#20 of 31 OFFLINE   Paul Arnette

Paul Arnette

Screenwriter

• 2,616 posts

Posted March 11 2008 - 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Blacklow

Ugh. Am I the only one that hates these digipak cases? Why is it so hard to just issue them in individual keep cases with a box?

Don't get me wrong, the hardcover book is nice, but I have no desire to own a "Wallet w/metal badge and removable laminated I.D. card" or a "Scorpio Portrait of a Killer Poster-Sized (19” x 27”) map of San Francisco detailing Harry’s hunt for the killer" for that matter.

Anyway, I've never been much for these 'value-added' extras they seem to like to throw in these box sets as a means to justify upping the MSRP. Just give me the movie in a sturdy keep case, preferably with the original one-sheet poster art. I guess I am just a 'functional' kinda guy. Posted Image

The real 'issue' I have is there is no choice beyond this set or the book-only version of Dirty Harry like there was for Blade Runner. Therefore those who are cinephiles, but aren't into ornate packages, which I must be among the minority based upon Warner Bros. marketing decisions, are either forced to buy something they aren't totally happy with or wait in the hopes that they are released in a more conventional form later.

Anyway, sorry to grouse guys. I'm sure the Dirty Harry fans looking for everything except the kitchen sink (but including a toy badge Posted Image) will be very happy with the set. I sincerely mean that.

The Jackal

Forum Nav Content I Follow