Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Cleaning DVD's-O.T., but what the hey...

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 of 9 OFFLINE   StevePA

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 08:55 AM

Anybody know of a good method for cleaning DVD's? Just acquired a Japanese "Space Battleship Yamato" set, and one of the discs has that great mold release/hard plastic funk-like stain that's guarenteed to make you player smoke and throw itself out the window...Posted Image

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#2 of 9 OFFLINE   RoyM

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

• 204 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 12:22 PM

I assume you mean that smudgy grease stain that lots of people have been noticing lately on Paramount's TV releases?

I've been using a bit of rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol and a soft cloth or cotton ball to wipe that stuff off. Sometimes it takes a bit of work, but seems to do the trick. Then a quick rinse under some running water and buff dry with another cloth. It's been working for me so far, although there have been some instances where I couldn't clean the disks perfectly. But even those disks don't seem to have any playback problems in any case.

#3 of 9 OFFLINE   Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee

Executive Producer

• 10,705 posts
  • LocationSince 2006

Posted February 29 2008 - 03:26 PM

The common recommendation is Windex. But some people are concerned about the ammonia in the common version. If you can find the type that doesn't have ammonia, it's worth a try.

#4 of 9 OFFLINE   Mark Talmadge

Mark Talmadge

Screenwriter

• 2,379 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 03:29 PM

Jump up and down, swear and then buy a replacement copy ... then, stop posting non TV show on DVD related topics and post it in the right forum.

#5 of 9 OFFLINE   Will_B

Will_B

Producer

• 4,733 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 06:38 PM

Yeah, it is obviously an "SD DVD Film and Documentary" topic!
"Scientists are saying the future is going to be far more futuristic than they originally predicted." -Krysta Now

#6 of 9 OFFLINE   Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter

• 1,687 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 07:18 PM

"Space Battleship Yamato" is a TV series.
"Because he's the hero that Gotham deserves, but not the one it needs right now... and so we'll hunt him... because he can take it... because he's not a hero... he's a silent guardian, a watchful protector... a DARK KNIGHT."

#7 of 9 OFFLINE   Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John

Producer

• 3,527 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 07:31 AM

I always find, for normal cleaning - not the real bad stain you mention, I just use very soft tissue or toilet paper, wet first, wipe the disc good, then dry with another piece.

Any worse than that and I run it thru my DVD Doctor.

#8 of 9 OFFLINE   StevePA

StevePA

Stunt Coordinator

• 54 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 10:41 AM

...and correct, "Space Battleship Yamato" is indeed a TV series...AKA "Starblazers" to most US viewers.

Thanks for the advice-I'll see what happens.

#9 of 9 OFFLINE   BobSchneider

BobSchneider

Second Unit

• 421 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM
I assume you mean that smudgy grease stain that lots of people have been noticing lately on Paramount's TV releases?

I've been using a bit of rubbing (isopropyl) alcohol and a soft cloth or cotton ball to wipe that stuff off. Sometimes it takes a bit of work, but seems to do the trick. Then a quick rinse under some running water and buff dry with another cloth. It's been working for me so far, although there have been some instances where I couldn't clean the disks perfectly. But even those disks don't seem to have any playback problems in any case.

Yeah alcohol has always work for me, but if you use water, use distilled water other wise with tap water you'll leave mineral deposit that can scrach your disks with time.Posted Image
Q: Why do you care?

A: You'll never know.