What's new

NFL 2008 Offseason Thread (1 Viewer)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
There have been quite a few moves today:

1. Derek Anderson resigned with Cleveland. I'm not sold on Anderson, as he threw 19 interceptions last season and his performance declined in the 2nd half of the year. He may be this year's Scott Mitchell.

2. Madieu Williams signed with Minnesota. I think Williams is a fine safety, and this is a quality signing by the Vikings.

3. The Jets traded Jonathan Vilma to the Saints for a conditional draft pick (could be as high as a 3rd rounder). This is a minimal gamble by New Orleans, since it's only a conditional pick. If Vilma cannot bounce back from his injury, they are not out much of anything. If he's healthy, they get a fine linebacker for a 3rd round pick.

4. The Lions traded Shaun Rogers to Cincinnati for 3rd and 5th round draft picks. While Rogers doesn't show up to play all the time, Millen virtually gives away another Pro Bowl player. Getting middle round draft picks is pretty useless for Detroit, since Millen is terrible at picking in these rounds (yes, I know he's not very good in the first two rounds, either :) ).

5. Kawika Mitchell signed with the Bills.

6. The Jets get Kris Jenkins is a trade with Carolina for 3rd and 5th round picks. That must be the going rate for former Pro Bowl defensive tackles (see Rogers above).

7. Jerry Porter signed with the Jaguars, who also signed backup QB Cleo Lemon.

ThomasC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas
It was a confusing day for me. I woke up to the radio, and they were reporting that Derek Anderson didn't sign with the Browns. I was pretty busy at work, so I didn't make my way to news or sports sites. On my way home, I listened to the news. "Derek Anderson signed with the Browns today..."

Huh? :confused: :P

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
I think getting Porter is a very good signing by the Jags, as long as he stays healthy. To no surprise the Lions get absolutely screwed. Millen didn't want to pay that $1 Million bonus due to Rogers at Midnight tonight. Ho hum.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

There are rumors that Anderson may not stay a Brown, and Cleveland may trade him. That doesn't make a lot of sense to me, since I doubt they could get more than the 1st and 3rd round draft picks they would have received had another team signed him as a restricted free agent. If they are intent on trading Anderson, why not wait a week or so before resigning him and see if another team would bite on signing him to an offer sheet?

In other news, the Eagles threw a truckload of money at Asante Samuel.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, it has been a busy day. This gives me a chance to plug my new Website where I've been keeping track of this stuff most of the day. Oh, and if your curious that website is where my draft running commentary is going to be this year.

Raiders lose Porter and Josh McCown...Meh.

They sign Gibril Wilson away from the Giants and also they release Barry Sims. I'm in a constant state of whatever right now when it comes to my beloved football team.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Lions deal with Cincy fell through and they then trade Shaun Rogers to the Browns for Leigh Bodden and a third round pick, a much more acceptable deal in my opinion. It gives them a instant starter in the secondary and a third round pick that Millen can screw up.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, the fewer draft choices Millen has to screw up, the better for the health of you Lions fans. I'd say I worry about your blood pressure, but really being a Raiders fan these days makes me feel num from the hair down so...I think I'd rather just have the high blood pressure.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

It appears that the league rejected the deal due to some language issues in the trade agreement. Apparently the NFL is trying to save Millen from his own stupidity. :laugh:

I agree that this is a better deal than the 3rd and 5th round picks from Cincy. Basically, they get Bodden for a 5th round pick, and you know that Millen couldn't get any decent player in the 5th round. He'll be lucky if the 3rd round pick makes the roster. :rolleyes

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Another busy day

The Florida teams are the most active, the Eagles are also making some good moves. The loss of Chris Clemons hurts the Raiders as he led the team in sacks last year along with Burgess. Defensive tackles seem to be worth a 3 and a 5.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
So, I'm guessing the Falcons are out of the running for McFadden now that they've signed Michael Turner (formerly of the Chargers), and will most likely use their 3rd pick of the first round to get QB Matt Ryan or one of the Long's.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
Supposedly, Randy Moss and Culpepper have discussed possibly reuniting as free agents someplace. I seriously doubt this will happen, though. There are very few teams looking for a starting QB. Minnesota and Atlanta come to mind, but there is no way the Vikings would take those two back, and I doubt the Falcons have the cap space for both players with Michael Vick's salary on the books (plus they just spent some money to sign Turner).

Chicago is about the only possibility I can think of.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Falcons have around $8 Mil in cap space before the Turner deal, so no, they probably couldn't sign the two of them.

GARY C

Second Unit
Today's big signing so far...

- Ben Roethlisberger re-signs for $102 million ($36 guaranteed) with the Steelers for 8 years.

I also have a question for the people who understand the money end of the NFL a little better. Now that McFadden looks like he may fall into the Raiders lap, can they afford to sign him? Having 2 big money top picks in 2 years can't be cheap for the cap space.

As much as I like Micheal Bush and would like to see him get a shot at the #1 spot in the next couple years, I just can't see anyone sane passing on McFadden (OK sure Al Davis is senile, but not insane). :)

Added

- Patriots re-sign Moss to a 3-yr $27 million deal.
- Falcons release Warrick Dunn (expected after the M. Turner signing). Given the rumors, I can see him as a Colt sharing back-up duties w/ Keith next year.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield

I do not know the Raiders specific cap issues, but it is certainly possible to pay multiple high 1st rounders. The Lions have had top 10 picks almost every year that Millen's been the GM, and they've even had to take cap hits and eat salary when they end up dumping the players. :)

I'm not convinced that McFadden is the right choice for the Raiders anyway. They have more pressing needs than running back.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

Indeed, the Raiders need to stop the run more than they need to run the ball.

Plus, you don't have to take running backs high you can find them later in the draft. Add to that the fact that the Raiders employ a zone blocking system that produces lots of 1,000 yard rushers.

They also need a receiver or 2 or 5.

McFadden is the attractive pick but that doesn't make him the best fit or wisest choice.

IIRC, the Raiders had about $26 million in cap room at the start of free agency so they're not hurting for space to sign rookies.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
As a Raiders fan I want them to grab one of those stud defensive tackles or Howie Long's kid. I'm hoping one of those three are there for the Raiders to choose because I feel any of them will be an impact player along the defensive front.

Brandon_T

Screenwriter
The Lions have oft injured LB Dan Morgan in today for a work out and are expected to bring in Warrick Dunn as well as the Detroit becomes Tampa North.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks