-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

ZODIAC 2-Disc problems

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 Paul D G

Paul D G

Screenwriter

• 1,601 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 08:06 PM

I don't see another thread open where I can post this to so I am starting a new one.

I was watching the documentary This is the Zodiac on the SE and the image would go black frequently while someone was talking. I first I thought it was some weird editing like how some programs will have a white flash between edits (i hate that) but it started to seem too random and I wonder if the video was defective. I don't believe it was my connection to the TV as nothing else I watched had this problem, and when I skipped back to rewatch the bit the same thing happened.

It was incredibly distracting and, for me, it marred the viewing of an excellent and compelling feature. I can't find anyone else commenting on this problem and wonder if anyone else has experienced this. I'm pretty sure it's the video itself and not some defect with my player or it's connection to the tv.

-paul

#2 of 7 Christian Preischl

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter

• 1,376 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 08:33 PM

Paul, it's the same on my copy, Definitely seemed like an editing choice to me at the time.

#3 of 7 Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,263 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 03:41 AM

Definitely an editing choice, not a problem.

#4 of 7 captainjoe

captainjoe

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 12:03 PM

The extras were produced by David Prior and I remember another feature of his, possible the making of The Fly, using a similar technique. It definately is an editing choice he uses often.

#5 of 7 Frank@N

Frank@N

Screenwriter

• 1,718 posts

Posted March 04 2008 - 08:42 AM

HD version extras are the same.

#6 of 7 David Prior

David Prior

Stunt Coordinator

• 165 posts

Posted March 07 2008 - 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainjoe
The extras were produced by David Prior and I remember another feature of his, possible the making of The Fly, using a similar technique. It definately is an editing choice he uses often.

Indeed this was intentional. The interviews had to be edited fairly heavily, and constantly cutting away to other material would have felt distracting and somehow dishonest. In the end, I opted to cut to black not only to avoid needless jumpcuts and digressions, but also to disclose where the edits were. I noticed Erroll Morris employ this technique and thought, well, if it's good enough for him ....

#7 of 7 Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,067 posts

Posted March 08 2008 - 03:05 PM

Quote:
Indeed this was intentional. The interviews had to be edited fairly heavily, and constantly cutting away to other material would have felt distracting and somehow dishonest. In the end, I opted to cut to black not only to avoid needless jumpcuts and digressions, but also to disclose where the edits were. I noticed Erroll Morris employ this technique and thought, well, if it's good enough for him ....

Yeah, I was telling people as much on the IMDB board when the DVD was first released. It's nice to hear a confirmation coming straight from the source though.

It was pretty apparent to me knowing that there was really nothing in the way of coverage for editing.
Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

Forum Nav Content I Follow