What's new

The Devils - coming out on DVD in May (1 Viewer)

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeffrey Nelson
I wonder if this will have the "Rape of Christ" scene reinstated...the word is that Ken wants it in. How far will WB go? I'm already floored that they're using that artwork. CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!!

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
This is my most wanted film on DVD...I am SOOOO Happy that Warner is finally releasing this...but before I get too delirious, I will wait and see if this has the "Rape of Christ" sequence.

And any extras would be fantastic!!

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
There's much discussion at Moebius as to whether this is true or a hoax. That doesn't look like any artwork anyone has ever seen come out from Warner, and if they were hoping to go under the radar with this release, that cover isn't going to accompish the job. Frankly, I don't believe it. I'd like to, because a nice UNCUT version of this (and LISZTOMANIA and more Russell) is essential. But I don't believe it one bit.

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator
The cover art and information where on Warner's publicity database as of this afternoon, and now it's been removed. This is all very strange.

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
it is obvious Warner Bros has issues releasing this film. If they release it cut then they won't sale a copy of it. and they seem to be afraid releasing it uncut. I don't think it is in the best interest of Warner Bros to just sit on the title. They should hand over all rights to the film to Ken Russel and let him distribute it thru Criterion. They won't lose anything because they certainly feel they have nothing to gain. They should sell it off to Criterion or Russell along with the other Warner Bros owned titles and wash their hands of it. Otherise you know I can buy a bootleg of the film on the internet. Even if it is poor quality I am ready to give my money to them than Warners. We have waited too long and Russell may never be able to get the DVD released the way he would like.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
This almost sounds like they were dropping their hook in the water to see what kind of reaction they get, especially with the cover art which will be very offensive to some. If WB gets any flak for this little incident then they'll sit on it, but if it goes relatively unnoticed then they sneak it out at some point in the future.

This is of course, just a theory.

I for one have never seen this film and know very little about it, but I must say that the cover art has me greatly intrigued.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I would expect to see it resurface in the Fall/October when these titles usually get the big promotion. WHV obviously went to the trouble of producing professional artwork and intends to eventually release the disc, it's probably just been postponed due to their release schedule. If it wasn't coming out, we wouldn't have seen the cover art or early press release that leaked out "accidentally". It will clearly be released eventually, and I'm sure it will happen within the next 12 months and more than likely around next Halloween.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member

Saying this on this Forum is FORBIDDEN. BEWARE! :eek: :eek: :eek:

P.S. - I will not buy it unless it is 110% UNCUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jack
In regards to my first post on this topic and then previous made regarding the bootleg quote. I do NOT approve of bootlegs, but when Warner bros could release something yet they aren't it makes it hard for one to see the film. What would someone do. They'd probably go to amazon.com and see they have the title listed. I have heard it is a boot and everyone who knows this title knows of this DVD and the contents. We all know it is crappy looking but hey what is a film nut to do?

I will buy the real deal if they ever release it. and if warner has a HTF Chat again I am sure this will be a heated topic.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I think someone at Warners said in a chat that it is not Warners policy to farm any of their properties out to other releasing outlets (e.g. Criterion). I believe they said that would never happen. If I'm remembering correctly, then we'll have to get THE DEVILS from Warners or no one.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
As far as releasing it cut or uncut is concerned.....even the short US version is loaded with offensive material in the eyes of some. Restoring the censored bits really isn't going to make it MORE offensive. Just release the damned thing. It's a cinema masterpiece.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks