Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo

The Devils - coming out on DVD in May

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
49 replies to this topic

#1 of 50 OFFLINE   Marcel H.

Marcel H.

Supporting Actor

• 553 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 02:16 PM

Discovered on dvdactive:

Quote:
Warner Home Video has sent over official artwork for an unrated edition (111 minutes) of the 1971 film The Devils which stars Vanessa Redgrave, Oliver Reed, and Dudley Sutton. The Ken Russell directed horror will be available to own from the 20th May, and should retail at around $19.99. As far as we know, no extra material will be included. If that changes, we will of course let you know. Artwork is attached:

The Devils (US - DVD R1) in News > Releases at DVDActive
Recently bought: Tracy & Hepburn the Definitive Coll., The Mountain, Rope of Sand, Taxi Driver (BD), Heroes of Telemark, Night of the Generals
Pre-Order: Knock on Any Door, The Outlaw Josey Wales (BD), The Man Who Would Be King (BD), Night Flight, The Hustler (BD)...
My Collection

#2 of 50 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts
  • LocationSaranac Lake, NY

Posted February 28 2008 - 02:39 PM

Well, Satan be praised....it's about time. Thank you, WB.

#3 of 50 OFFLINE   Jeffrey Nelson

Jeffrey Nelson

Screenwriter

• 1,066 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 28 2008 - 03:02 PM

I wonder if this will have the "Rape of Christ" scene reinstated...the word is that Ken wants it in. How far will WB go? I'm already floored that they're using that artwork. CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!!

#4 of 50 OFFLINE   Greg_M

Greg_M

Screenwriter

• 1,193 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrey Nelson
I wonder if this will have the "Rape of Christ" scene reinstated...the word is that Ken wants it in. How far will WB go? I'm already floored that they're using that artwork. CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS ONE!!!

I was surprised but the art work myself - usually Warner's is conservative. Wow!

#5 of 50 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 12:05 AM

This is my most wanted film on DVD...I am SOOOO Happy that Warner is finally releasing this...but before I get too delirious, I will wait and see if this has the "Rape of Christ" sequence.

And any extras would be fantastic!!

#6 of 50 OFFLINE   Mark Zimmer

Mark Zimmer

Producer

• 4,269 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 03:40 AM

There's much discussion at Moebius as to whether this is true or a hoax. That doesn't look like any artwork anyone has ever seen come out from Warner, and if they were hoping to go under the radar with this release, that cover isn't going to accompish the job. Frankly, I don't believe it. I'd like to, because a nice UNCUT version of this (and LISZTOMANIA and more Russell) is essential. But I don't believe it one bit.

#7 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 29 2008 - 04:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Zimmer
There's much discussion at Moebius as to whether this is true or a hoax. That doesn't look like any artwork anyone has ever seen come out from Warner, and if they were hoping to go under the radar with this release, that cover isn't going to accompish the job. Frankly, I don't believe it. I'd like to, because a nice UNCUT version of this (and LISZTOMANIA and more Russell) is essential. But I don't believe it one bit.

The info and pic have come, apparently, from Warners own press / PR site; I don't think DVDActive would have used it otherwise.
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#8 of 50 OFFLINE   Pete York

Pete York

Supporting Actor

• 560 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 06:31 AM

Jeff Wells (Hollywood Elsewhere) has a quote from WHV's Ronnee Sass calling this a "mistake".

Full quote.

#9 of 50 OFFLINE   John Hodson

John Hodson

Producer

• 4,464 posts
  • LocationBolton, Lancashire

Posted February 29 2008 - 07:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete York
Jeff Wells (Hollywood Elsewhere) has a quote from WHV's Ronnee Sass calling this a "mistake".

Full quote.

Oh, bugger....not a hoax, but a mistake... Posted Image
So many films, so little time...
Film Journal Blog
Lt. Col. Thursday: Beaufort; no preliminary nonsense with him, no ceremonial phrasing. Straight from the shoulder as I tell you, do you hear me? They're recalcitrant swine and they must feel it...

#10 of 50 OFFLINE   Jay E

Jay E

Screenwriter

• 2,485 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 07:21 AM

I knew it was too good to be truePosted Image

#11 of 50 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 08:05 AM

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Oh, well, I had 24 hrs of happiness.....

#12 of 50 OFFLINE   George Reis

George Reis

Stunt Coordinator

• 59 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 09:07 AM

The cover art and information where on Warner's publicity database as of this afternoon, and now it's been removed. This is all very strange.

#13 of 50 OFFLINE   Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

Producer

• 4,077 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 29 2008 - 09:31 AM

Maybe it'll show up again on April 1. Posted Image
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#14 of 50 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 29 2008 - 11:53 AM

it is obvious Warner Bros has issues releasing this film. If they release it cut then they won't sale a copy of it. and they seem to be afraid releasing it uncut. I don't think it is in the best interest of Warner Bros to just sit on the title. They should hand over all rights to the film to Ken Russel and let him distribute it thru Criterion. They won't lose anything because they certainly feel they have nothing to gain. They should sell it off to Criterion or Russell along with the other Warner Bros owned titles and wash their hands of it. Otherise you know I can buy a bootleg of the film on the internet. Even if it is poor quality I am ready to give my money to them than Warners. We have waited too long and Russell may never be able to get the DVD released the way he would like.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#15 of 50 OFFLINE   Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson

Screenwriter

• 2,959 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 12:06 PM

This almost sounds like they were dropping their hook in the water to see what kind of reaction they get, especially with the cover art which will be very offensive to some. If WB gets any flak for this little incident then they'll sit on it, but if it goes relatively unnoticed then they sneak it out at some point in the future.

This is of course, just a theory.

I for one have never seen this film and know very little about it, but I must say that the cover art has me greatly intrigued.

#16 of 50 OFFLINE   MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti

Producer

• 4,796 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 12:24 PM

I would expect to see it resurface in the Fall/October when these titles usually get the big promotion. WHV obviously went to the trouble of producing professional artwork and intends to eventually release the disc, it's probably just been postponed due to their release schedule. If it wasn't coming out, we wouldn't have seen the cover art or early press release that leaked out "accidentally". It will clearly be released eventually, and I'm sure it will happen within the next 12 months and more than likely around next Halloween.

#17 of 50 OFFLINE   Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR

Producer

• 3,596 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 01:05 PM

Quote:
Otherise you know I can buy a bootleg of the film on the internet

Saying this on this Forum is FORBIDDEN. BEWARE! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

P.S. - I will not buy it unless it is 110% UNCUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cogito, Ergo Sum
My DVD Library / The BLOOD is the Life!
Pioneer Elite PRO PDP-111FD - 2/28/2009

#18 of 50 ONLINE   Powell&Pressburger

Powell&Pressburger

Screenwriter

• 1,322 posts
  • LocationMPLS, MN

Posted February 29 2008 - 02:43 PM

In regards to my first post on this topic and then previous made regarding the bootleg quote. I do NOT approve of bootlegs, but when Warner bros could release something yet they aren't it makes it hard for one to see the film. What would someone do. They'd probably go to amazon.com and see they have the title listed. I have heard it is a boot and everyone who knows this title knows of this DVD and the contents. We all know it is crappy looking but hey what is a film nut to do?

I will buy the real deal if they ever release it. and if warner has a HTF Chat again I am sure this will be a heated topic.

Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! They are part of film history.

Marantz SR7007 MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15
Oppo BDP-103 Region Free Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60

#19 of 50 OFFLINE   Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,620 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 29 2008 - 03:26 PM

I think someone at Warners said in a chat that it is not Warners policy to farm any of their properties out to other releasing outlets (e.g. Criterion). I believe they said that would never happen. If I'm remembering correctly, then we'll have to get THE DEVILS from Warners or no one.

#20 of 50 OFFLINE   Mark B

Mark B

Supporting Actor

• 724 posts

Posted February 29 2008 - 03:45 PM

As far as releasing it cut or uncut is concerned.....even the short US version is loaded with offensive material in the eyes of some. Restoring the censored bits really isn't going to make it MORE offensive. Just release the damned thing. It's a cinema masterpiece.

Back to DVD

Forum Nav Content I Follow