-

Photo
- - - - -

Who are your Favorite Character Actors?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 of 32 OFFLINE   rich_d

rich_d

Screenwriter

• 1,997 posts
  • LocationConnecticut

Posted February 28 2008 - 02:12 AM

When I did a search I was surprised that this thread hasn't already been done. The thread's purpose is simple to identify and comment on those character actors that you have especially appreciated over the years.

There is a thread that defines what a character actor is. My own definition is someone so excellent in a type of role that they often get typecast in doing those roles or like roles over and over.

I suggest NOT dwelling on whether the role is a lead one or not. Many character actors have had lead roles such as Don Knotts who made a career out of playing the nervous, timid dude but who also got lead roles in several movies or Tony Randall who played the second banana (pal) in so many romantic comedies but who also got leading roles or Steve Buscemi who is the likeable ne'er-do-well character is so many films yet who also has had lead roles.

Starting this off, my personal favorite is Thelma Ritter. Thelma plays the street-wise, plain-talking, plain-looking woman. A woman who is no stranger to hard work, quick with her wit and her mouth.

What I like about her is that she can be used to great effect when the protagonist needs someone that will give as good as she takes. Thelma was terrific in Rear Window. In the role of Stella, Thelma stands up to Jimmy Stewart's character and tell him that he's a Peeping Tom not smart enough to drop the ideological crap and marry Lisa (Grace Kelly). Yet she does this while still being likeable.

Thelma was also terrific in The Misfits playing Gal Pal to Marilyn Monroe's character. Poignant, as she came across as a woman with some hard luck, aware of her plain looks and how others view her.

Another excellent role for Ritter was Pickup on South Street in the role of Moe, a woman scraping by as police informant and selling cheap ties to get by. Her biggest fear, to not have enough money to afford a proper burial, thus ending up in Potter's Field.

So, what are your thoughts? Who are some of your favorite character actors and their roles?

#2 of 32 OFFLINE   Lucia Duran

Lucia Duran

Screenwriter

• 1,089 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 02:23 AM

Interesting question. I guess I have always thought of a character actor as someone who is great at getting into character, one who can play any part, not just a particular part.

Based on that criteria, I think Johnny Depp is one of those people who can play just about any role. He is by far one of the greatest character actors.

Based on your criteria, someone who I think gets typecasted all to often would be... Eugene Levy. I think Eugene Levy is a fantastic actor and could be great in any role.
NO SHIRT

NO SHOES

NO SHELDON

#3 of 32 ONLINE   Walter Kittel

Walter Kittel

Producer

• 4,748 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 02:43 AM

When I think 'character actor' the first choice that always comes to mind is M. Emmet Walsh. First discovered him in the early '80s with films such as The Pope of Greenwich Village, Blade Runner, and Blood Simple; the film I most closely associate with him.

- Walter.
Fidelity to the source should always be the goal for Blu-ray releases.

#4 of 32 OFFLINE   JohnRice

JohnRice

Lead Actor

• 8,570 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 03:20 AM

I'm with Walter. Walsh is a perfect example of what I consider to be an excellent character actor. Just to put in my $.02, the term "Character Actor" has not been traditionally used for lead actors. All actors are expected to "get into" the character, so by that definition, any talented actor is a "Character Actor".

Others: Harry Dean Stanton, which reminds me of Roger Ebert's "Stanton/Walsh Rule" which states that "any movie with either M Emmett Walsh and/or Harry Dean Stanton can't be all bad."

Danny Trejo
Brion James
Rance Howard
Patricia Clarkson (also does some larger roles)
Seymour Cassel
Brian Cox
Celia Weston

Just scratching the surface

The Hybrid System

The Music Part: Emotiva XSP-1, Thiel CS 3.6, Emotiva XPA-2, Marantz SA8004, Emotiva ERC-3, SVS PB-12 Plus 2

The Surround Part: Sherbourn PT-7030, Thiel SCS3, Emotiva XPA-5, Polk & Emotiva Surrounds.

#5 of 32 OFFLINE   mylan

mylan

Screenwriter

• 1,684 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 03:59 AM

How about another Walsh, to me one of the finest character actors of our time, J.T. Walsh.

J.T. Walsh
I know enough to know I don't know enough!

#6 of 32 OFFLINE   Jacob McCraw

Jacob McCraw

Stunt Coordinator

• 242 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 08:29 AM

JK Simmons

#7 of 32 OFFLINE   dana martin

dana martin

Screenwriter

• 1,919 posts
  • LocationNorfolk, VA

Posted February 29 2008 - 07:09 AM

a good movie is made better by great charater actors, hence

Wilfred Brimley
Harry Dean Stanton
Ward Bond
Donald Pleasance
J.T Walsh
M.Emmett Walsh
Steve Buscemi
Neville Brand
Anthony Zerbe
John Carradine
R Lee Emery
Strother Martin
Jack Wesson
Richard Farnsworth

just a short list of always watchable actors, and some A listers grow into that role over time,
Playing at the Drive In

Quote:Welles, Kubrick, Hitchcock, Spielberg, Jackson, Wood ?? a true Auteur should be one who follows his artistic vision

#8 of 32 OFFLINE   DaveB

DaveB

Stunt Coordinator

• 194 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dana martin
a good movie is made better by great charater actors, hence

Wilfred Brimley
Harry Dean Stanton
Ward Bond
Donald Pleasance
J.T Walsh
M.Emmett Walsh
Steve Buscemi
Neville Brand
Anthony Zerbe
John Carradine
R Lee Emery
Strother Martin
Jack Wesson
Richard Farnsworth

just a short list of always watchable actors, and some A listers grow into that role over time,

Great list!

A few more of my favorites include Walter Brennan, Richard Marner, and Thomas Kretschmann.

#9 of 32 OFFLINE   RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted March 01 2008 - 08:29 AM

My favorite are a few guys whos name i dont know, but i know them when i see them. Posted Image

#10 of 32 OFFLINE   Ockeghem

Ockeghem

Lead Actor

• 9,301 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 08:29 AM

I also like Wilfred Brimley and Donald Pleasance. I'd like to add Henry Jones and Richard Masur to the list.

#11 of 32 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:08 AM

I think I would define this person as a character actor, I always like Tom Wilkinson.

#12 of 32 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:18 AM

I dont' know.. I guess it's kind of hard to define "character actor" for me. I could argue that Harrison Ford, and Jerry Lewis are both character actors, and are nearly the best.

Hmm.. another great one that comes to mind is Chris Cooper, but perhaps he's equally too high profile.

#13 of 32 OFFLINE   Marianne

Marianne

Supporting Actor

• 855 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:33 AM

One definition of a character actor:
"A character actor is an actor who predominantly plays a particular type of role rather than leading ones. Character actor roles can range from bit parts to secondary leads. However, character actors often play supporting roles: characters who do not undergo a major change in the course of the plot, and whose role is less prominent than that of the leading actors."

On that basis here are a few (although some of them have had leading roles, they usually have supporting roles):

David Strathairn
William H. Macy
Robert Duvall
Alfred Molina
Paul Giamatti
Eli Wallach

#14 of 32 OFFLINE   DavidPla

DavidPla

Screenwriter

• 2,357 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:47 AM

Gary Oldman can fall into that category every once in a while. And there's a character actor that changes SO dramatically from film to film he truly fits the term "character actor".

#15 of 32 OFFLINE   JeremyR

JeremyR

Second Unit

• 405 posts
  • LocationKansas City

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marianne
One definition of a character actor:
"A character actor is an actor who predominantly plays a particular type of role rather than leading ones. Character actor roles can range from bit parts to secondary leads. However, character actors often play supporting roles: characters who do not undergo a major change in the course of the plot, and whose role is less prominent than that of the leading actors."

On that basis here are a few (although some of them have had leading roles, they usually have supporting roles):

David Strathairn
William H. Macy
Robert Duvall
Alfred Molina
Paul Giamatti
Eli Wallach
Macy is fantastic.

#16 of 32 OFFLINE   Bob Spears

Bob Spears

Stunt Coordinator

• 66 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 10:52 AM

Harry Dean Stanton
Adolf Menjou

#17 of 32 OFFLINE   Rob P S

Rob P S

Screenwriter

• 1,995 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 03:00 PM

Terry O'Quinn
Joe Morton
Bill Cobbs
Clancy Brown
Dylan Baker
Hope Davis
Ned Beatty
Barnard Hughes
Beth Grant
Loretta Devine
Alfre Woodard
Barry Corbin
Edie McClurg
John Amos

#18 of 32 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 03:24 PM

I'm with David. Gary Oldman is one of the best. He truly becomes the character and has an incredible range. Check out Immortal Beloved [where he plays Beethoven] for an example of this.

John
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#19 of 32 OFFLINE   Jonathan

Jonathan

Second Unit

• 465 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidPla
Gary Oldman can fall into that category every once in a while. And there's a character actor that changes SO dramatically from film to film he truly fits the term "character actor".

I agree 100% It hard to believe that it's the same actor in The Fifth Element & Air Force One which came out only a couple of months apart from each other.
"It's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."
- Office Space

---------------------------------------
My DVD Collection

#20 of 32 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted March 03 2008 - 07:01 PM

My top 7: Michael Madsen, James Spader, Jeffrey Combs, Tim Thomerson, William Forsythe, Ray Walston and lastly, the ultimate character actor, Lon Chaney "Man of a 1000 Faces."
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

Forum Nav Content I Follow