Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Samsung 1080p LCD DLP - opinions?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic

#1 of 2 Dave>h

Dave>h

Second Unit

• 365 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 12:53 AM

HI,

I have owned a Samsung 720P/1080i DLP (HL-N61W I think) for the last 4 years or so. It is connected via HDMI/DVI to my HD DVD player and the picture can be quite stunning at times. That is my only HD content at this time but I may consider Blu ray or HDTV at some point.

The build quality has been excellent and I have had no problems with the set. After 4 years, I have not had to change the lamp (although I am about to pick a couple of bulb ups for the inevitable).

I am wondering if the newer versions of this TV (there is a 72" version that caught my eye) will be a significant improvement in picture quality over my current set? IS straight HDMI better than HDMI/DVI?

Does anyone own one or has anyone done a recent upgrade that can comment? Are the LCD DLP better than the color wheel DLP's? Are Samsung the best available or is there other manaufacturers producing as good quality?
I really like the DLP size to value ratio (and the ability to fix it if something goes wrong).

Thanks for the comments.

Dave

#2 of 2 SethH

SethH

Screenwriter

• 2,867 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 11:25 AM

IS straight HDMI better than HDMI/DVI?

This should not make any difference in picture quality.

Are the LCD DLP better than the color wheel DLP's?

I think you mean LED. The picture quality is roughly equal -- people will debate this, but IMO they are roughly equal, I might give a slight edge to the LED sets. The two biggest benefits of LED are lamp life (20k+ hours) and lack of color wheel.

Are Samsung the best available or is there other manaufacturers producing as good quality?

The choices for DLP rear projection are Samsung and Mitsubishi (Toshiba recently left the business). Both companies make great sets. Mitsubishi does not currently offer LED. Both companies have plans to make laser-based DLP sets this year, but there's no specific date set yet. Lasers a supposed to offer much better picture quality and extend the life even further than LED.