Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

iPhone ringtones

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 12:47 AM

so I took the plunge and bought an iPhone. So far so good, but I have a question about ringtones. iTunes will allow me to buy ringtones made from songs, and I've found some directions at various online resources of how I could make song-clips into ringtones on my own (haven't tried yet) But what if I don't want a song? What if I want to use a .wav file of my child laughing? Or a .au file? What if I don't want to make it myself because of lazyness, time and/or tech savvy. What if I want to download or buy a ringtone that is not a song - like a tricorder sound or R2D2 tweeps? Can that even be found? I've tried searching and all I find is spam and music ringtones. I'd rather not go through a complex process of exporting and converting files. I especially don't want to spend $25-$50 for software just to make a handful of ringtones. I just want to buy some fun ringtones. I'm getting very frustrated. Do you have any ideas?

#2 of 23 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 05:26 AM

Yep - try here - HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Apple.HowardForums.com

or here - Hack that Phone - Editing ringtones on OS X

You'd think after 2000.00 for a phone and minimum monthly agreement, a silly ringtone would be free.

Enjoy the vast discussion at HF

#3 of 23 OFFLINE   Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus

Screenwriter

• 2,213 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 10:18 AM

To make a ringtone from any mp3 and/or wav clip: 1. Drop or drag the mp3/wav file into your iTunes Library. 2. Right-click on it and turn it into a AAC. 3. Delete the file from your Library (but not from the disc.) 4. Locate the file and rename it to a .m4r extension. 5. Add the file back to the Library.
Joseph
---------------

#4 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 07:46 AM

I found a program which allows me to convert file types for free. Thanks

#5 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts
  • LocationDisney World and Universal Florida

Posted March 07 2008 - 05:51 PM

i can never get that to work
facebook.com/whotony

#6 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 02:00 AM

it won't work with the apple m4p - you first have to convert it to mp3. I found a good program for that; Virtual CD-RW burner converts DRM protected iTunes M4P to MP3, M4B to MP3, iTunes to WAV, M4A to WMA

Once you do that the rest is cake, but it does take some familiarity with windows files.

I rename the MP3 so as not to confuse it with the original file (i remove the caps)

#7 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 02:03 AM

Nice, but what about ringtones that are not songs? Is there someplace where I could find a lightning bolt, fart, dolphin, trumpet fanfare or other sounds which are not songs per se?

#8 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 03:34 AM

that looks to be pc not mac, i know this is an iphone topic but it's in the apple forum area. is there something like this for mac?
facebook.com/whotony

#9 of 23 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 10:03 AM

google sounds?

I hate song ringtones. Gather sounds from any source and use something to edit length, etc. iMovie if you have to, but look for freeware sound edit apps at versiontracker.com.

As for pre made mp3,wav, aif....?

All the farts you can stand at farts.com but I could never get the proper LF to make them sound good on a phone Posted Image

#10 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted March 16 2008 - 12:12 PM

I tried to google ringtones and found nothing but spam sites trying to trick me into sharing my phone number.

#11 of 23 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted March 18 2008 - 06:12 AM

1000s of free sounds - some useful for ringtone as is, and many more with a basic length edit.

Soundsnap.com: Find and Share Free Sound Effects and Loops

Have Fun!

#12 of 23 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,932 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 07:47 AM

No one has mentioned the Apple approved method for free ringtone creation: Using Garage Band (which does come free with your Mac...) I tried, it, it works great, and of course it allows you to select whichever portion of the song you want, or edit different pieces together, etc. It's a fun, powerful tool. (You can use anything that's DRM free from your iTunes library)
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#13 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 08:22 AM

ted it's funny (to me) that you mention it. a few days ago i tried that but i cannot figure out how to use GB to do anything let alone make ring tones.
facebook.com/whotony

#14 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 08:47 AM

ok i just went over to apple support.

"With GarageBand 4.1.1 you can export your original song, your original audio recordings, or use Apple Loops and iLife jingles to create a custom ringtone for your iPhone.

i only have 3.0, so i guess i can't do it.
facebook.com/whotony

#15 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted March 19 2008 - 12:50 PM

I've seen garage band - but I don't get it... It looks like a sequencer/multi track recorder, but it seems only to utilize the MAC instruments, not the instruments on your keyboard...

#16 of 23 OFFLINE   Ted Todorov

Ted Todorov

Screenwriter

• 2,932 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 12:14 AM

Keyboard? As in a MIDI keyboard you have connected to your Mac or...??
Hold on tightly, let go lightly.

#17 of 23 OFFLINE   Eric_L

Eric_L

Screenwriter

• 1,994 posts

Posted March 20 2008 - 11:46 AM

I own a couple of midi keyboards.

#18 of 23 OFFLINE   TonyD

TonyD

Who do we think I am?

• 16,559 posts

Posted April 02 2008 - 07:50 PM

well i was ale to come across an ilife '08 and the garageand on there is easy to use to make ringtones. you can make 40sec tones instead of the 30sec ones you do in itunes that you have to pay for. btw gb just had an update to 4.1.2
facebook.com/whotony

#19 of 23 OFFLINE   wsblackcat

wsblackcat

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 21 2009 - 06:29 PM

i'm sorry,i'm a spamer,but i'm a special spamer!
i think you can you use the Garageband,it is free,it powerful but may be you have to take lots of time to learn how to use the software!
but if you don't want to waste too much time on that thing,i recommend you should try the iskysoft iPhone Ringtone maker,it is easy to the user,it support various video and audio formats,support trim function,but it is not free stuff!
your can find them on the apple.com both!
Money and Time,which do you want to save,you can choose!

#20 of 23 OFFLINE   wsblackcat

wsblackcat

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted October 21 2009 - 06:33 PM

i'm sorry,i'm a spamer,but i'm a special spamer!
i think you can you use the Garageband,it is free,it powerful but may be you have to take lots of time to learn how to use the software!
but if you don't want to waste too much time on that thing,i recommend you should try the iskysoft iPhone Ringtone maker,it is easy to the user,it support various video and audio formats,support trim function,but it is not free stuff!
your can find them on the apple.com both!
Money and Time,which do you want to save,you can choose!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users