What's new

Worst TV on DVD Peeves (1 Viewer)

redbird

Agent
Real Name
M
I'm just wondering what people find as the worst peeves for TV shows on DVD.
From reading this site there seems to be five main peeves-black and white shows that are colorized (such as the first two seasons of Bewitched), seasons of shows that come in halves (like The Fugitive), shows that come out on double sided discs (such as Chips Season 2), shows that have edited or missing episodes (Odd Couple Season 3 and Hawaii 5-0 Season 2 come to mind for each of these sub peeves) and shows that are seemingly thrown out there "raw" (using poor quality prints without even making an effort to improve them) by major studios (like Emergency Season 4).

My own peeves from worst to least are double sided discs, edited/missing eps,
raw shows, split seasons, colorization.

I'd include as a peeve when a studio puts out a season or two of a show and then seemingly abandons it but that's probably another annoyance altogether.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
For me it would be 1) double-sided discs (esp. those that don't work very well); 2) split seasons; 3) edited episodes; 4) raw shows; 5) colorization.

I think the only season sets I own of double-sided discs are Adam-12, The Outer Limits, and The Waltons. Of these, only The Outer Limits gave me trouble, but this was rectified with the set being replaced three times.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Like many others of you my biggest pet peeve is replacement music in dvd sets.

Pete Battista

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Pete
Other then those already mentioned I would add...

- Abandonded Series.... Only getting the first season... or first handful of seasons... I do understand when it happens... but I still hate it.
- Bonus Feature Menu on all discs... when there is extras only on one disc... but the menu on all discs to tell you to check other disc(s)
- Overlapping packages... used to make packaging smaller but iof they would just go to double slimline cases... you couldn't get much smaller packaging then this.
- No Play All Option... I hate hacving to go back to the menu after each episode.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Same here. I've gotten pretty lucky since most of the shows that I want are either finished or coming out slowly but surely. However, there's a couple abandoned ones that I'd love to complete.

And like everyone else, I don't like music replacement.

LCD22

Screenwriter

That's mine as well.

I would also like to add the removal of the "previously on..." recaps and the removal (or replacement) of the original producing studios' logo/fanfare at the end of the episode(s). It drives me nuts when these get left off or updated. As far as the "previously on..." Warner got it right on the first season of "Supernatural" by giving the viewer the option to watch the episodes with or without it. I don't know if the second season carried this feature over, but I wish all studios would include this.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Edits/altered presentation and abandoned seasons are the two biggies for me. Music replacement never bothered me all that much (although there are exceptions), and double-sided discs are becoming a lot less common (and I'm so glad the SNL sets didn't have them).

Although speaking of the SNL sets, not a huge fan of the overlapping discs. But in that case, with 8 discs to include, it's far more preferable to 4 double-sided discs.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter
Minor in comparison to what everyone else has stated, but I noticed on the season 5 DVD of "HOMICIDE: LIFE ON THE STREET" that the episode synopsies on each menu began to reveal practically all the story points of the episode, while previous seasons just stated the main points and left plenty for surprise. Plot spoilers before you've even watched the episode are a big annoyance.

troy evans

Screenwriter
My biggest peeve is when I spend time and money on a series, buying every season to support it, and then it all comes out in one big, beautiful collectors set. With bonus material not on the individual season sets and a price that sometimes is less than half what I paid for all of them one at a time. For people who didn't support it or care to buy it, I guess. Now, that truely pisses me off more than it peeves me.

Regulus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
William Hughes
A Store marks a set from $39.99 to $19.99 and I go out and buy it. Then, a few days later a Competitor marks their set down to $24.99 AND announces a 2-for-1 Sale!

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
All TV on DVD shows should have chapter stops after the opening credits.

But my biggest gripe of all is the companies (BBC!!!) that forces 5 minutes of commercials when you put in a disc before you can even get to the menu. Can't skip, can't FF, can't hit menu.

Look at the new DR. Who sets from BBC to see what I mean.

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Nikki Fineing

Its probably to make up for the fact that on the BBC in the UK they don't have commercials and only advertise one show between programmes lol. Its still annoying though

Ron68

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron
My biggest peeves are:

1) Full frame TV movies (V: The Mini-series) that are matted for 16x9 TVs

2) Shows that are abandoned before the series is completed

3) Double sided discs, especially those released by FOX and Universal. I've had a lot of problems with those.

4) Edited episodes of shows or the use of syndication prints

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
A pet peeve of mine would be the pattern of releasing one season of a show per year(most always at the same time of the year),when the show is selling well enough to warrant,at least,two seasons released in a year.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Amen to that! And it always seems to be the shows that have the LONGEST opening credits sequences that don't have a chapter stop. As much as I love the opening sequences of Twin Peaks and Tales From the Crypt, watching them over and over again and being unable to easily skip over them gets old after the first 20 episodes or so.

Mark Talmadge

Senior HTF Member
Studios should release season sets on a television show at least 3-4 sets per year until the series is completed. Better yet, just release complete series sets ...

troy evans

Screenwriter
Yes, exactly! It does seem to be backwards doesn't it? How about putting the series out completely first, then, put out individual sets of seasons for the people who aren't sure enough to buy it all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks