What's new

"The Fugitive: Season 1, Volume 2" -- A Personal Review (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
THE FUGITIVE: SEASON ONE, VOLUME TWO

--------------------------------------------------------------

QUICK DVD STATS:
  • Number of DVDs -- 4 (Single-Sided; Dual-Layered).
  • Total Episodes -- 15 (51+ minutes each).
  • Video -- Full Frame OAR (1.33:1).
  • Audio -- English Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono.
  • Color/B&W -- B&W.
  • Subtitles -- None.
  • Closed Captioning? -- Yes.
  • Bonus Materials? -- No.
  • "Play All" Option? -- Yes.
  • Chapter Stops? -- Yes.
  • DVD Distributor -- CBS Paramount Television / Paramount Home Entertainment.
  • DVD Release Date -- February 26, 2008.
  • DVD Cover (Back Side).

--------------------------------------------------------------

CBS/Paramount delivered "THE FUGITIVE: SEASON 1, VOLUME 2" in the form of a compact 4-Disc DVD set on February 26, 2008. This fifteen-episode set finishes off the distinguished inaugural season of David Janssen's breathtaking television series from the 1960s.

Janssen's title character, Dr. Richard Kimble, encounters many twists, turns, sheriffs, helpful strangers, and assorted close calls with his chief rival (Indiana police lieutenant Philip Gerard) during the second half of his first season on the run. Gerard was played with great skill and style by the great actor Barry Morse, who passed away at age 89 on February 2, 2008.

This collection of episodes offers up some real dandies from the 4-year history of "The Fugitive" too, with a few of my own personal favorites being:

"Search In A Windy City", "Somebody To Remember", "The End Game", "Rat In A Corner", and the virtually-perfect two-parter "Angels Travel On Lonely Roads".

While the above episodes rate as some of my top picks from this batch of shows, every single one of these programs actually earns high marks on my quality meter. Each installment in the series always offers up something good and entertaining....beginning with the always-solid performances of Mr. Janssen.

The wrongly-accused doctor from Indiana travels from town to town, and job to job, and girl to girl, while performing the dual task of avoiding the law and attempting to locate the one-armed man whom Kimble is convinced killed his wife two years earlier.

And in episode #19 of this first season (which is part of this boxed set), Dr. Kimble comes face-to-face with that one-armed man for the first time since the night of Helen Kimble's murder. It's one of the most thrilling moments in the whole series, as Kimble gets a brief glance of one-armed Fred Johnson on a bus near Chicago.

For me, one of the most rewarding things about this television series is that these hour-long dramas never get tiresome to watch....no matter how many times I have seen them. Like a good wine, "The Fugitive" only gets better with age, and with multiple viewings too.

And the fantastic music that accompanies each episode (most of which was composed by Peter Rugolo) certainly doesn't hurt things a bit either. The music is just made to order for this series. And, quite literally, a goodly portion of it truly was made to order, being written by Rugolo specifically for "The Fugitive".

For the trivia-minded, "The Fugitive" was named "Best New Show" of the 1963-1964 season by "TV Guide" magazine. During the first year of the series, David Janssen, as the on-the-lam Dr. Kimble, was seen by an average of 21-million people every Tuesday night.

Paramount has restored and remastered these "Fugitive" TV prints very nicely ("transferred from the original negative with restored audio", per the back of the DVD case). And, just like the "Season 1, Volume 1" collection, this second 15-show set provides outstanding video quality. Just about perfect as far as I can tell.

The first-rate black-and-white photography comes through in fine fashion on these four DVDs, with very little to complain about (even when watching on a large-screen television set).

Although I will have to say that some of the shows in this DVD set don't pass the "Freeze-Frame Test" quite as well as other episodes in this collection and in the first volume of Season One. (Every episode in "Volume 1" passed this test, by the way.)

By that I mean: when the image on screen is paused and then "stepped" forward, frame-by-frame, the picture quality for some of the episodes within this set isn't quite as rock-solid and stable as can be found in other episodes.

This is especially noticeable whenever written words are shown on the screen (particularly the "stenciled" type of outlined lettering that is used for a lot of the on-screen text in "The Fugitive"). On slightly lesser-quality DVD transfers, the letters on the screen will "break up" (for lack of a better term) as the film frames are advanced.

The "freeze" test is something I usually do when attempting to gauge the overall quality of a DVD transfer. But, at the same time, any "break-ups" that do, in fact, occur in this set probably won't even be noticed by anyone unless they frequently utilize the "pause" button on their remote control when the episodes are playing. Because in "play" mode there really isn't very much difference (to my eyes) between the DVD transfers that possess rock-solid, always-stable lettering on the screen and the transfers that suffer from "lettering break-up". (I'm just an old fusspot for bringing this up in the first place, aren't I?) :)

Anyway, even with a few episodes that perform in a slightly unstable fashion based on my little "Freeze-Frame Test", these "Fugitive" episodes still look remarkably good overall (picture-wise and sound-wise).

And, by the way, I was happy to note that my very favorite episode from this batch of shows -- "Search In A Windy City" -- does indeed pass the "freeze" test with flying colors. (Or should I say flying "black-and-whites" here?) :)

"Windy City", unlike the other three shows on Disc #1, can be paused in absolute perfect clarity, sans any of the jagged edges (or "breaking up") that I was talking about before. That made me smile...for sure.

I might as well add my full "Freeze-Frame Test" results here (since I went ahead and "tested" each of the 15 programs for such a thing (just because of my fusspot nature, I guess). :) .....

More than half of the episodes in this 4-Disc set "passed" the "freeze/pause" test (8 of the 15 shows, to be exact). In case anybody is interested, those eight episodes are the following shows (based on the episode numbers provided later in this review): #19, #24, #25, #26, #27, #28, #29, and #30.

So, everything considered, my compliments definitely go to Paramount/CBS Studios for treating an iconic TV series like "The Fugitive" the way it deserves to be treated -- with great care and attention paid to producing the highest-quality DVD transfers possible.

Having these eminently-rewatchable "Fugitive" episodes digitally preserved for all time to the high standards that can be found in the two first-season DVD sets that have thus far been released by Paramount is certainly something for Fuge fans to be very pleased about. I know I am anyway. :)

Like the first DVD volume, Paramount has included two disclaimers on the Volume Two packaging, warning purchasers about possible (but not specifically verified) edited episodes and a warning regarding some music changes.

The warning about the "changed" music is definite, per the text on the case, although I'm fairly certain it has nothing to do with the outstanding Pete Rugolo theme or any of the equally-exquisite background music we hear integrated throughout each episode. The altered music must be some material that is heard on a radio or a TV (or elsewhere) during one or more of these fifteen episodes.

I, myself, thus far haven't noticed anything that particularly leaps out as being drastically different from what I remember seeing or hearing previously during these shows. And the average running time of more than 51 minutes per show certainly bodes well for these episodes being pretty much intact and uncut. If anything's missing here, it sure can't be very much, that's for sure.

But, then too, even though I'm a big fan of "The Fugitive", I'll admit I haven't memorized every last minute of each scene prior to the release of these DVDs. So a minor, subtle musical change or a small edit somewhere in an episode probably won't trigger any kind of "That's Been Changed!" reaction on my part. But perhaps that kind of reaction will occur in other people.

~shrug~

===================

SOME SCREEN SHOTS:

Here are some screen shots from this DVD boxed set (courtesy of DVD Beaver.com; clicking on these photos will link to a larger version of each picture). I think the words "Gosh, the quality of these DVD images looks fantastic!" would be an appropriate and quite accurate response while perusing these pictures. Don't you?:

For some more DVD "Screen Grabs", click HERE.

===================

MORE DVD SPECS:

The Packaging: This package blends in perfectly with the "Season 1, Volume 1" set. A clear, standard-sized "Amaray" type case holds all four DVDs, providing a space-saving footprint for these "Fugitive" sets. Episode information is printed on the wrap-around insert sleeve, and is visible when DVDs 1 and 4 are removed from their disc trays.

This style of DVD case is nice and compact, with a very good type of disc-holding device (hub). The DVDs aren't held so tight that it drives you nuts when trying to remove a disc; but they aren't too loose either. I haven't had any "floaters" in the mail when DVDs have been attached to the type of disc-holders we find in these "Fugitive" sets.

About the only thing that would have made the packaging any better here, in my opinion, would have been if a quick-reference disc-by-disc episode list could have been included on the back of the case (similar to the way Paramount has done with its last six seasonal DVD releases of "The Andy Griffith Show").

But with these "Fugitive" DVDs, you've got to remove Discs 1 and 4 from their holders in order to get a look at the episode information which is visible underneath those discs. It's not a major hassle, but a list of episodes elsewhere on the package would have been useful too (IMHO).

Bonus Material: None (except for some Paramount DVD "Previews", which are included on the first disc only). And there's a slight change from Volume One when loading up Disc #1, with this second volume's first disc taking you straight to the menu screen after the initial warnings and logos go by, instead of making you choose between going to "Previews" or "Main Menu" upon disc start-up (as is the case for Volume One). That's a nice change that saves a little bit of time.

Video: 1.33:1 Full-Frame TV ratio (OAR).

Audio: Dolby Digital 2.0 Mono. English only.

Subtitles: None. English "Closed Captioning", however, is included.

Chapter Breaks: 7 per show, with each break coming at an appropriate location throughout each program -- at the end of each "Act", as well as a break just after the opening credits and right after the "Epilog" scene.

I very much like the ability to go straight to the very beginning of a particular "Act" in any episode via these DVDs. This chaptering was perfectly done by Paramount. And it's just another small factor that makes this DVD product an excellent one, in my own opinion.

Paper Enclosures: None.

Menus: Simple as can be. No animation. No music. No Sub-Menus. Just one Menu per disc, which serves as both the Main Menu and the Episode Menu, providing instant access to the 3 or 4 programs on each disc (plus a "Play All" feature).

The "Play All" buttons on the four discs are a little different from the first "Fuge" set, being highlighted in darker, bolder text to offset the regular text used for the episode titles. It's just a very small change, but, like the "Preview" change, one that's for the better, IMO.

===================

THE EPISODES:

Following is a list of the 15 episodes that show up on these four DVDs. I've added a brief description for some of the shows, plus a look at Kimble's alias for each week's program, along with the episode numbers and the original ABC-TV air dates (and a few more DVD screen shots too). .....

16. "The Garden House" (First Aired: January 14, 1964) .... Alias: "Sanford".

17. "Come Watch Me Die" (January 21, 1964) .... Alias: "Ben Rogers". .... This episode features some good character actors that pop up in other "Fugitives" as well; and keep an eye open for Diane Ladd as a waitress. I don't recall ever having seen this episode prior to this DVD release.

It's an unusual episode in some respects, one of which is that Richard Kimble finds himself in the unlikely position of becoming a sheriff's deputy. And there's also the fact that part of the plotline had me totally fooled until near the very end of the show. (I like the fact that an episode could pull the wool over my eyes....and Richard Kimble's too.)

18. "Where The Action Is" (January 28, 1964) .... Alias: "Jerry Shelton".

19. "Search In A Windy City" (February 4, 1964) .... Alias: "George Blake". .... This is one of the very best shows in the 4-year history of "The Fugitive" (IMHO), with a terrific "double chase" taking place within this episode -- Lt. Philip Gerald is hot on Kimble's trail; while at the same time, Dr. Kimble (for the first time) actually sees and pursues the elusive one-armed man. Everything about this episode spells tension-filled excitement.

Bill Raisch, as the one-armed man, actually only made ten total appearances throughout the series (not counting flashbacks or the opening "montage" for each show), making his guest-starring appearances all the more special and memorable due to their relative infrequency.

Pat Hingle also co-stars in "Windy City", and gives an impressive performance too, as a newspaper reporter (Mike Decker) who at first helps Kimble, but then has other ideas.

20. "Bloodline" (February 11, 1964) .... Alias: "Dick Lindsay".

21. "Rat In A Corner" (February 18, 1964) .... Alias: "Dan Crowley". .... Warren Oates gives a fine performance in a guest role as the self-centered "rat" alluded to in the show's title.

22. "Angels Travel On Lonely Roads; Part 1" (February 25, 1964) .... Alias: "Nick Walker". .... The 2-Part "Angels" episode is worthy of as much praise as I can possibly muster. These are incredibly good shows, due in no small part to guest-star Eileen Heckart's wonderful performance as "Sister Veronica", a nun who is travelling cross-country in a rattletrap of a car and happens upon the always-helpful Dr. Kimble during her journey.

Kimble joins the Sister on her trip to California (as driver, repairman, bread-winner, and hitch-hiker), with the pair encountering several obstructions and roadblocks that impede their progress. This two-parter demands to be viewed again and again. I appreciate its greatness more deeply with each successive screening. Magnificent in all respects.

23. "Angels Travel On Lonely Roads; Part 2" (March 3, 1964) .... Alias: "Nick Walker".

24. "Flight From The Final Demon" (March 10, 1964) .... Alias: "Al Dexter". .... Carroll O'Connor guests as a sheriff who stumbles across the forever-running Dr. Kimble. .... "I couldn't just stand there and let 'lard belly' take you in."
htf_images_smilies_laugh.gif

25. "Taps For A Dead War" (March 17, 1964) .... Alias: "Bob Davies". .... More fine guest-star performances are on tap in "Taps", with both Tim O'Connor and Lee Grant showing off their considerable acting skills.

26. "Somebody To Remember" (March 24, 1964) .... Alias: "Johnny Sherman". .... A highly-memorable "Gerard-chasing-Kimble" installment. A co-worker of Kimble's arranges a slick-sounding little plot, which involves "duping" Lt. Gerard into believing Kimble has left the country. This one's a real suspense-builder right to the end. A truly great episode.

27. "Never Stop Running" (March 31, 1964) .... Alias: "Doc". .... The fetching Joanna Moore is featured as one of the guest stars in this episode. And, as usual, she's excellent. Joanna makes this episode extra worthy of praise. And, as an added bonus, she passes the good ol' "Freeze-Frame Test" (and then some) at precisely the 7:40 mark of this episode too.
htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif

28. "The Homecoming" (April 7, 1964) .... Alias: "David Benton".

29. "Storm Center" (April 14, 1964) .... Alias: "Larry Phelps".

30. "The End Game" (April 21, 1964) .... No alias used. .... The first-season wrap-up features another worthy manhunt, orchestrated by the always-persistent Philip Gerard. Guest stars John Fiedler and John McGiver provide some comic relief in this episode, which closed out a fabulous rookie season for this Quinn Martin production.

===================

A PARTING FUGE THOUGHT:

If you bought Volume 1 of the first "Fugitive" season on DVD, then this second volume practically becomes mandatory. There's no way that any fan of this remarkable TV series will want to miss out on owning this outstanding collection of top-notch shows.

There probably ought to be a law requiring everyone with a DVD player to obtain this set of "Fugitive" discs. (In fact, I think Lieutenant Gerard was instrumental in getting such a sensible law placed on the books in late 2007. I'll check on that statute.)
htf_images_smilies_biggrin.gif

David Von Pein
February 2008

================================================

RELATED LINKS:

"The Fugitive: Season 1, Volume 1" -- A Personal Review

Wouldn't All "Fugitive" Fans Love To Have This DVD Set?

www.DavidJanssen.net

www.BarryMorse.com

"The Fugitive" (1963)

================================================

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
I unconditionally agree with you on The Fugitive DVD requirement for all DVD player owners, David. This is STILL one awesome TV series to this day over 40 years later!!!!!!

Now that I have both sets from the inaugural season of this fine series, I feel I can really tear into Year One in a way I have not been properly able to with only half of a season to work with.

I look forward to watching End Game again. That was one crazy season finale. I have not seen that particular episode in years.

Though I do indeed intend on getting going with Season One all the way now, I am already looking ahead to receiving Season Two Volume One in June four days before my birthday. :)

May that one PLEASE come to pass ON TIME three-plus months from now!!!!!!!

And another finely detailed DVD set review breaking down the vagaries of this classic series befitting the memories of Mr. Janssen and Mr. Morse, amongst others, and all they gave us then--and continue to do so now with these wonderful DVD sets!!!! :)

Thanks again, David. Please keep 'em coming!!!! :)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Thanks for the great review, David. Got my S1,V2 set yesterday and am anxious to get to it. I think DVD is really the best way to view this show - without the edits of TV or commercial interuption. You can really sit down and absorb the program, and the performances. Glad to see S2, V1 is on its way soon!

JoshuaB.

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jay
David, an excellent review! I haven't had a chance to view any of the episodes from S1 V2, but I'm glad that the AV quality is still quite good. As long as CBS Paramount releases all four seasons (whether they're in eight volumes or not) with the same attention to quality, we fans of this extraordinary drama series will be happy. And with S2 V1 coming in June, it looks like S2 can be released in its entirety in 2008!

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see that the DVD release of this series is creating a whole new generation of fans for this show. I was a teen when this series was originally aired, and I remember watching most of this series. I am enjoying rewatching the series.

Charles H

Screenwriter
I am hard-pressed to find a weak episode in the bunch and what a field day these character actors had. Heckart is superb, but the series taps into the strengths of actors like Gilbert Roland, Madelyn Rhue, and Ed Nelson, who are brilliantly cast against type. Most impressive, however, for me was Nancy Malone in "Bloodline". I've known her only for her work on "Naked City" and she could easily have gone for the sort-of "ambitious bitch" thing that Joan Crawford usually does but she goes for a nuanced performance of pragmatic vulnerability. I love these black and white shows because they permit the viewer to make his own judgments and shadings on the characters and environments. "The Fugitive" is really a classic anthology show, and Dr. Kimble is one of the great subtexts of literature. It is little wonder that updates of these shows ("The Fugitive," "Route 66," "The Untouchables," "Burke's Law," "Perry Mason") never work: they TELL us what we are seeing.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Great review, as always, David. Thanks so much for taking the time to give us such a thorough analysis of this latest set.

As for the music disclaimer, I have found the source(s) of it. In at least two episodes I've watched thus far there is background, "party" style music that has been changed. For instance, in the GARDEN HOUSE episode there's a home party where a band is playing background music. That has been changed. It's not a big deal, but it was substituted. Same thing happened with some background music in the episode WHERE THE ACTION IS. Again, it's not a big deal and it doesn't affect anything at all. But this is what the disclaimer is pointing too.

Gary "thanks again for the great review" O.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Oh, yes....I saw that you mentioned this in the other Fugitive thread. I'm glad you added your comments to this thread as well (for completist sake). Thank you.

And such a subtle observation on Gary's behalf is indicative of a true-blue, diehard mega-fan of "The Fugitive", who knows each episode like the back of his hand and who can even take note of and remember even the smallest of details -- even background music for every single episode.

It's somewhat amazing that anyone would even be aware enough of the original background, incidental music contained within episodes of a 1964 TV show that has had only limited home-video releases over the years (and fairly-limited air time on over-the-air television as well), in order to make note of the small changes made by CBS/Paramount for these DVD releases.

I salute thee, Gary O. :)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Well, while I did immediately notice that the band (particularly the drummer) was out of sync with the music being played in THE GARDEN PARTY, the truth is another person that got the set the day before I did alerted me to it because they too noticed something wasn't quite right. Actually they noticed it because they were using a bose headset and said that when the music began playing they could tell the audio "changed" a bit. So I guess that's one way a person could tell real easily. I don't use headsets but I can see where that would alert a person that something's up.

I wish I could claim that I knew the episodes so well that I'd pick up on even background music being changed like what's happening on this set, but the truth is I'm not nearly that good. I do like to think of myself as a mega-fan when it comes to this show, but I can't in good conscience take as much credit as David so graciously gave me.

Gary "as long as none of the Rugolo score is changed I'm fine with little subs like the one's we have here" O.

michael_ks

Screenwriter

Oh really? How about detecting a fragment of a cue from "Gilligan's Island" in an episode of "Rawhide"? (One that I still can't find myself, darn it).

You're good, Gary...you'll just have to live with it.

I'll look forward to picking out bits and pieces from "The Twilight Zone" scores in vol. 2 of "The Fugitive". My ears are fairly well tuned to the wonderful strains of Herrmann, Goldsmith and Steiner and their fabulous TZ scores.

Oh, and yes, thanks David for the great "labor of love" shown on your review of this set. I thoroughly enjoyed it all the way through.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary

Darn it, Michael. I keep forgetting to search for that one. I know it was in the latest RAWHIDE release, but I just can't remember which episode it was. But it was absolutely in there. Just a few notes, but still.

Gary "I can't imagine any of my favorite shows without their accompanying incidental music" O.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I'm feeling a bit left out in this thread since I haven't yet received my copy, but that's only fair since I was among the early receivers of set #1.

But it's good to know what to look out for. Thanks to David for his usually thorough and reverent review, and to Gary for tracking down the music mystery. It'll be a joy to watch these great episodes whenever they get here.

Harry

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
Did anyone post the actual production order of the first season episodes in that loooong initial thread? Even if the answer is yes, it may bear repeating, as it's quite different from the broadcast order:

#1 Fear in a Desert City
#2 Decision in the Ring
#3 The Girl From Little Egypt
#4 Smoke Screen
#5 The Witch
#6 The Other Side of the Mountain
#7 Never Wave Goodbye I
#8 Never Wave Goodbye II
#9 See Hollywood and Die
#10 Where the Action Is
#11 Ticket to Alaska
#12 Fatso
#13 Nightmare at Northoak
#14 Terror at Highpoint
#15 Glass Tightrope
#16 Come Watch Me Die
#17 Home Is the Hunted
#18 Glass Tightrope
#19 Search in a Windy City
#20 Bloodline
#21 Rat in a Corner
#22 Angels Travel on Lonely Roads I
#23 Angels Travel on Lonely Roads II
#24 Flight From the Final Demon
#25 Taps For a Dead War
#26 Somebody to Remember
#27 Never Stop Running
#28 The Homecoming
#29 Storm Center
#30 The End Game

That's the sequence in which the episodes were broadcast when I first saw them, in the initial A&E syndication run in 1990. It seems jarring to me every time I notice that the DVDs have them in the "wrong" order ... although, of course, you can argue that the sequence in which audiences first saw them in 1963 is as legitimate as the order in which they were produced. In most cases, since there's no continuity, it doesn't make much difference; but thematically, I'd place "Never Wave Goodbye" as late as possible (because it emphasizes Kimble's flight burnout), and move up "The Girl From Little Egypt" (because the murder flashback raises the stakes). It's also fun to try and guess the producers'/network's reasons for reshuffling the episodes: I'm sure "Never Wave Goodbye" moved up because it's good, and "Little Egypt" got buried in the Christmas season because it's an unmitigated turkey, or at least was perceived as such by the powers that be. But I'm curious about "Where the Action Is" (the one early episode that feels out of place to me in Volume 2) ... production problems/reshoots, maybe. Anyway, "optimal viewing order" is a game FUGITIVE fans can play along with PRISONER maniacs.

All this comes to mind because ... and I hesitate to write this write now for fear of micturating in anyone's breakfast cereal, but here goes ... I've always felt there was an atypical drop in quality in the last run of scripts in the first season. Aside from the two-parter, I don't think there's a really strong segment between "Search in a Windy City" and "The End Game." But then, it's been nearly 20 years since I've seen some of them, and perhaps I'd feel differently after a second look.

Oh, and has anyone noticed yet that one of the episode titles in this batch is misspelled on the opening title card?

Stephen Bowie
www(dot)classictvhistory(dot)com

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

I was halfway expecting the two-parter ("Angels Travel On Lonely Roads") to be misspelled on the title card. In fact, I checked for just that very thing. This due to the fact that A&E misspelled the word "Lonely" as "Lonley" when that cable station reran those episodes in 1995.

As most here probably know, A&E decided it didn't want the words "Tonight's Episode" to be heard on the syndicated versions it was showing during the afternoon (but sometimes late at night too--on the weekends)....so A&E cut out the voice-over and the original title-card portion of the video and replaced it with a silent and transparent new title card, which appeared just as Act I began.

But "Lonely" is spelled correctly on these DVDs. So, I don't know the answer to Stephen's inquiry.

I did take note, however, of another oddity re. the "Angels" 2-parter -- the voice-over announcer doesn't use the words "Part 1" or "Part 2" when announcing either "Angels" segment. He merely states the title and that's it....which I thought was kind of strange, since other 2-parters in the series feature a "Part" number being vocalized by the announcer.

Oh, well. Such is the life of a fanatic Fuge-watcher.

But I'm still wondering why 7 of these 15 episodes don't fully pass the "Freeze-Frame Test"? A reviewer at another forum mentioned that these prints were transferred to DVD in a different manner than were the Volume-One programs. But, as I strongly mentioned earlier, these episodes in V.2 look every bit as good and clear as the V.1 entries (everything considered).

But there's definitely a slight difference in the transfers for seven of the shows, based on the "Freeze/Pause" test that anyone can easily conduct and check for themselves.

I'm not really griping though (really, I'm not). :) It just seems like I am. :) Because, overall, I couldn't be more pleased with the PQ of these eps. on DVD.

~sigh~

Now, being the fussbudget/fusspot I was born to be, I've got to go check the episode titles for that misspelled word (thanks to Stephen B.). :) :D

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Just went thru the first disc and I am totally blown away by the picture quality and the quality of the writing. Makes you wonder how current writers are able to tell any type of coherent story in 40 minutes. I find these older teleplays to be much stronger in terms of story detail and plotting as well as showcasing character motivations. I would love to hold off and make these episodes last until Season 2 Volume 1, but they are like the original Lay's potato chips - "can't eat(watch) just one."

Doug

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I have to agree with David concerning the contention that there's a dead spot between "SEARCH" and "END GAME". I'd rate BLOODLINE, THE HOMECOMING, RAT IN A CORNER, SOMEBODY TO REMEMBER & FLIGHT FROM THE FINAL DEMON as all very solid stories. I'm not as big a fan of "TAPS" as others may be, but I didn't think it was poor by any stretch. Heck, I can't see how anyone would think any of these first season episodes are poor. Not a one of them are poor or unwatchable as far as I'm concerned. Are some better than others? Sure. But they are all solid, IMHO.

Gary "the 'worst' FUGITIVE episode is so much better than the 'best' episode from 99% of all the other shows out there - it's just no comparison" O.

Stephen Bowie

Stunt Coordinator
No, I was referring to "Angels Travel on 'Lonley' Roads" and thinking of the fake A&E title card (which I didn't even realize had been altered at the time), so I stand corrected. As I mentioned, I haven't revisited many of these on the DVDs yet ... so, among other things, I've never seen most of the series un-time-compressed. Also, I've lived in Los Angeles since my first pass through THE FUGITIVE; I'd never really thought of it as an "LA show," but when I watched "Never Wave Goodbye" again this month all the great location footage blew me away. Knowing the city will add a whole new layer to the show. The "Reno resort" in "Where the Action Is" is really the Sportsmen's Lodge in Studio City, right? I used to live half a block from there.

And, if it wasn't clear, I meant to suggest that run of episodes was, not lousy, but mildly disappointing relative to the first half of the season. Overall THE FUGITIVE was as consistent in its quality as any TV show I can think of -- so much so that it's one of the few great series where I'm really at a loss to single out a favorite episode or two.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member

Well, I'll be French-dipped and lanced by Eileen Heckart! You mean to tell me I've spent the last hour searching for a title-card mistake that never even existed??!!!

I'm calling "lard belly" (Carroll O'Connor) and have him take you in because of this, Stephen.

:)

[BTW, I was just kidding about spending an hour searching for the mistake that never was. I only spent 59 minutes doing that.]

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
REVIEW ADDENDUM......

I've added another brief description for an episode in this DVD boxed set....for "Come Watch Me Die" (which I liked very much):

===========================

17. "Come Watch Me Die" (January 21, 1964) .... Alias: "Ben Rogers". .... This episode features some good character actors that pop up in other "Fugitives" as well; and keep an eye open for Diane Ladd as a waitress. I don't recall ever having seen this episode prior to this DVD release.

It's an unusual episode in some respects, one of which is that Richard Kimble finds himself in the unlikely position of becoming a sheriff's deputy. And there's also the fact that part of the plotline had me totally fooled until near the very end of the show. (I like the fact that an episode could pull the wool over my eyes....and Richard Kimble's too.) :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks