Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

"The Fugitive: Season 1, Volume 2" -- A Personal Review

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#21 of 112 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,645 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 01:38 AM

This is another of those episodes that some people fail to mention when they are talking about the best ones on this second half set - and I couldn't agree more with you that it's underrated by many and is actually very compelling. Like you, I too was fooled about the plot point you are referencing. It came off very well, IMHO! Gary "this episode is definitely on my list of favorites from Season 1" O.
"Do not challenge supernatural unless armed with sword of truth"
                                             ...CHARLIE CHAN AT TREASURE ISLAND

#22 of 112 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted March 01 2008 - 01:40 AM

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#23 of 112 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,645 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 01:56 AM

Jeff!!!! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

So good to see you again! And you couldn't have picked a better topic in which to make your triumphant return, IMHO.

Hey, I know it's not easy but I want to encourage you to try not to allow yourself to be spoiled too much. You'll enjoy the series so much better if you don't know too much about what's coming in certain episodes. That's how I first watched the show, and I'm so glad I did. Made it that much sweeter. For instance, I know the liner notes give things away and there's not much you can do about that, but I'm going to urge all my fellow Fuge fans here to be extra careful not to accidentally give spoilers. It hasn't happened yet, but it's an easy thing that we can all fall into and we have to remember there are people, like you Jeff, that are watching these for the first time.

Glad to have you back, my friend. Enjoy these episodes and continue to report back often. Posted Image

Gary "great to have Jeff W. posting again" O.

#24 of 112 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,645 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 02:09 AM

My ears picked up on another nice little score that I've enjoyed so much for the last several years. It may or may not be part of the TZ scores, I don't know. All I know is that I've associated it with a particular HAVE GUN, WILL TRAVEL episode for some time and I heard it again last night in THE FUGITIVE. So we've got plenty of crossover action as far as these series go. What's interesting is that the score in question was used in both shows (HGWT & FUGITIVE) during religious scenes. Any guesses, Michael? I definitely know the particulars of these two so you don't have to worry about it being a mystery for long if you don't know what I'm talking about. Gary "take care" O.

#25 of 112 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts
  • LocationSunny Central Florida

Posted March 01 2008 - 05:31 AM

Well, I finally got THE FUGITIVE S1V2 in yesterday's mail, and just had a little time to sit down and watch an episode. After confirming the music change in "The Garden House" (since I'd recently checked the old VHS tape, I then decided I'd go out of order in my viewing of these episodes. Naturally, I was impressed with the image quality of what I saw in "The Garden House" scene that I took a peek at, but I wanted to actually watch something less familiar. As it turns out, there are two episodes on this DVD set that I never managed to capture onto VHS, thus haven't seen in many years. Those two are "Never Stop Running" and "Storm Center". Always a sucker for a good storm movie, I opted for the penultimate episode on this set, "Storm Center." Right away, I knew I was in for something out of the ordinary when the opening credits only listed Bethel Leslie as the guest star. As the show started, I recognized Dennis Patrick from seeing him in DARK SHADOWS all those years ago, but
he wasn't long for the story
. The balance of the episode was an acting tour de force between David Janssen and Bethel Leslie, both up to the task. I was constantly amazed at the clarity of the image I was seeing. In one scene where David Janssen is supposedly pulling Bethel Leslie out of the water onto a dock, the image was so clear that I could easily discern the face of Mr. Janssen's stunt man. I'm sure the original thought was that no one's TV was big enough or sharp enough to discern the difference, but little did they know that we here in the 21st century would indeed be studying their work. All in all though, yet another excellent episode of THE FUGITIVE. My next task will be to get the wife to sit down and watch the "Angels Travel Lonely Roads" two-parter. I think she'll enjoy that one. Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#26 of 112 OFFLINE   Professor_Echo

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 07:59 AM

I was talking about THE FUGITIVE with a friend of mine who lives in Hong Kong, but grew up in Germany. She told me that when the show first aired in Germany it was known as (translated to English): "The street-sweeping show."

Take a guess whyPosted Image

#27 of 112 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 11:05 AM

Makes perfect sense. Who in their right mind would want to be out on the "street" when "The Fuge" was on TV?

Hence, Mr. Janssen has "swept" the streets clear of pedestrians (and maybe even hoboes, to boot)....everybody was inside watching Kimble and Gerard and "Lard Belly". Posted Image

I'll bet the level of crime dropped significantly during that Fuge hour every week too. (Except maybe for people who were trying to swipe TVs in order to watch the good doctor's weekly predicament.) Posted Image

#28 of 112 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 11:07 AM

Jeff W.,

Thanks for "Post #22" above.

Good stuff. Posted Image

#29 of 112 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 11:12 AM

Oops! Posted Image

Am I the one who spoiled that surprise for you? If so, I'm sorry. I guess it is kind of a "spoiler", huh?

I try to keep "spoilers" to a minimum in my reviews (or, on occasion use the spoiler "tags"), but sometimes there's a fine line between what is considered a true "spoiler" for one viewer vs. another viewer. (But, when in doubt, I suppose utilization of the spoiler tags would be the recommended action to take.)

For example, I have no hesitation at all to come right out and tell any first-time Fugitive watchers that Richard Kimble truly is "innocent" of killing his wife.

That isn't really a "spoiler", because Bill Conrad, in his opening-title narration on the very first episode of the series, tells us that "Richard Kimble is innocent". So, obviously, I feel no "spoiler tag" obligation when it comes to the question of "Did Kimble really do it?".

Many times, though, a major spoiler is revealed right on the DVD packaging notes, or the "preview" clip of the show (which will begin to appear when Volume 1 of Season 2 of "The Fugitive" arrives in June).

Which is one of the reasons why I advise people to bypass the "Preview/Trailer" clips at the beginning of an episode. Why have anything spoiled by watching a clip of something that you're just going to be viewing in the next 51 minutes anyway? Doesn't make sense to me (especially if you haven't seen the particular episode in question for quite some time, or if you've never seen it at all).

#30 of 112 OFFLINE   Gary OS

Gary OS

Producer

• 4,645 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 11:28 AM

David, I didn't mean to imply that you had spoiled anything. I took Jeff as saying that he read the liner notes and found out that way. Then again, I may be wrong on that. I was just encouraging everyone to be remember that we do have people here who haven't been spoiled at all. I remember how much I enjoyed the series the first time around because I wasn't spoiled at all. And I'm hoping it can work that way for Jeff and others too. Gary "no offense intended toward anyone" O.

#31 of 112 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 11:34 AM

Well, Gary, Jeff couldn't have read that in the DVD liner notes, because the notes/descriptions don't mention anything about....

Kimble actually running into the slippery "single-armed individual" named Fred Johnson, played by the stone-faced Bill Raisch, who actually did lose most of his right arm in WW2 while fighting a fire. Posted Image
But I guess it's kind of late for a "spoiler tag" now on this matter, isn't it? Posted Image

#32 of 112 OFFLINE   Professor_Echo

Professor_Echo

Stunt Coordinator

• 95 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 11:58 AM

Yes, that's about right. They said that when THE FUGITIVE aired in Germany everyone stayed in to watch it, thus giving the street sweepers an opportunity to clean the streets.Posted Image

#33 of 112 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted March 01 2008 - 01:31 PM

I can see now (after watching the V1 set) why that's true Posted Image While Mom and I have been watching this series, she has mentioned a couple of times that even though she was working during most of the "prime time" TV viewing hours in the 60's, she knew where most of the viewing audience was tuned in on Tue nights. She said that everyone back then in her age group was into this show big-time. She's mentioned to some of her peers lately that we're watching these DVD's and almost to the person, they always say "You mean, this is available on DVD?" OT here, but does that sound familiar with what we've been saying here (HTF) on several threads? It seems to tell me that we (the TSoD, HTF, Digital Bits, etc, "surfers" are the minority population.

Back on-Topic, Thanks Gary and "Prez" for the "spoiler" concerns but it's not you guy's problem if something gets posted here Posted Image Hey, after all, I think I'm the ONLY one here that hasn't seen this show Posted Image I laugh at myself when I read a mini-spoiler here at HTF since, as I see it, I should have seen this great show before now. But, I have to admit, as Gary and I have talkd about, it's sure a blast to see this caliber of series on A+ Xfrs, uncut (no missing scenes), without commercials for the first time. Anyway, I got "spoiled" at how the series ends when I read the Barry Morse Obituary in my local paper a couple of weeks ago. I had already known more or less that the series was given a "closeure" since QM knew into S4 that David Janssen had declined returning for S5. I won't spoil it here for anyone else that hasn't seen this show and mention what was in that Obituary article. Besides, I'm thinking I'm the only one on this forum that hasn't seen this show until the DVD release. Any "takers" on this bet? Posted Image That's what I get for watching Combat!, Lost in Space, Time Tunnel, Star Trek (TOS), etc, back then. When the Fugitive's 1st season aired, I was a little too young to stay up that late and also the show would have been too intense of a dramatic series for me at that time. I was busy watching reruns of the Rifleman and Lone Ranger also Posted Image

Hey, gang, I forgot to ask in that earlier post but how many of you own a copy of the "Viewers Guide" book by Ed Robertson? I received a copy from an online store earlier this week but haven't checked it out yet. I plan on using that book as I watch the show. I've been doing that with another series, "Combat!" with Jo Davidsmeyer's Viewers Guide book and that's sure added to the enjoyment of the DVD viewing with Combat! .

BTW, you're welcome, "Prez" for Post #22. I forgot to mention that I copied/pasted the text of both of your Fugitive Reviews and printed them out for my Mom to read them. She was very impressed with both reviews. "Tell us something we don't know", right? Posted Image It reminded me of that scene in "See Hollywood & Die" episode....remember when "Kimble" was driving them all to LA and what he said to "Miles"?

[Miles] "What do you think I am....crazy?" [Kimble] "Next question." Posted Image

Man, that's classic. Mom really loved that "comeback" from Kimble. "....Hollywood..." was one of our favorite eps from V1. Just like Gary said it would be......"Next question" Posted Image Even the "alias" that the writers came up with, "Al Fleming", it fits the story like a glove.

As for S1V2, I'm glancing at the Fugitive online Ep Guide as I post this.....what a list of guests in this show! Robert Webber, Telly Savalas, Diane Ladd, Pat Hingle, Paul Picerni (one of my favorites from the Untouchables), Nancy Malone (Naked City), Parley Baer, Eileen Heckart, Albert Salmi, Ken Lynch, Malachi Throne, Warren Oates, Ken Lynch, Ruta Lee, Carroll O'Connor (is that who VP called "Lard Belly"? Posted Image Lee Grant, Tim O'Connor, Madlyn Rhue, Claude Akins, Joseph Campanella.....

Like Charles said, it's a regular "who's who" in this series. "Field Day"'s right, Charles!

Gary, thanks again for watching my back with the spoilers. If it happens here, "no problem-o", Fuge fans. I should have sneaked out after bedtime in '63 and at least tried to turn on that Zenith Tube TV to watch Kimble Posted Image

Jeff "That's what I get for going to bed too early in '63" W.

#34 of 112 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 02:51 PM

Jeff, I can certainly appreciate the "too young" for THE FUGITIVE scenario in 1963, though for me it was borderline. I would have been twelve that year in 1963, and for me TV was at its best when I was watching either cartoons or comedy. So shows like THE DICK VAN DYKE show or MY THREE SONS would always win out over any kind of drama. Whenever I was into drama, it seemed to be of the "weird" variety with science fiction programs like THE OUTER LIMITS and THE TWILIGHT ZONE. As a result, when Tuesday's at ten rolled around, my preference was for the long-running comedy-variety show on CBS called THE GARRY MOORE SHOW. There I was mesmerized by the likes of Garry, Durward Kirby, Carol Burnett, Marion Lorne, and popular comedians and musical acts of the day. I'd been with that show since the late '50s and wasn't about to give it up for that "train wreck" show on ABC! But never one to be with the popular trends of the day, I was apparently pretty alone in my choice as THE FUGITIVE trounced GARRY MOORE in the ratings, ultimately leading to its cancellation. I even bucked the trend in my own family, as I can recall my mom, dad, and sisters all opting for THE FUGITIVE while I went upstairs and watched GARRY MOORE. But the following year, I joined in for some FUGE-fun and was easily hooked on the show. Then I had to play catch-up when the show ran in daily reruns on ABC daytime whenever I was out of school (summertime, sick days, etc.). It was then that I realized that THE FUGITIVE was indeed the best of its kind on television and it got me to appreciate the dramatic form much more. I then began to investigate the other "Act" shows from Quinn Martin, and enjoyed THE F.B.I., TWELVE O'CLOCK HIGH, THE INVADERS, etc. So THE FUGITIVE was sort-of my growing-up show - the one that helped me leave the childish things behind. Oh, I still gravitated towards comedy for a lot of years thereafter, and whenever a science fiction show popped up, I'd be around to check it out, but now I had quality drama in my catalog of TV-watching. Today, there's not a single comedy show that I watch. I think the last one I watched with any regularity was FRIENDS. But I still appreciate great drama, thanks to Quinn Martin, David Janssen, the late, great Barry Morse, Bill Raisch, and a host of superb guest stars who really made THE FUGITIVE shine as something special. And yes, I do remember the whole world stopping on Tuesday nights, particularly those two final episodes in August of 1967. Harry
My DVD Collection

A fugitive moves on, through anguished tunnels of time, down dim streets, into dark corners. And each new day offers fear and frustration, tastes of honey and hemlock. But if there is a hazard, there is also hope. - Closing narration to THE FUGITIVE, "Death Is The Door Prize".

#35 of 112 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,387 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted March 01 2008 - 04:29 PM

Harry, you didn't mention Time tunnel? Posted Image Kidding....

Since we're telling all and revealing ages Posted Image , I was 8 in '63. I wasn't watching too much prime-time stuff back then but I remember watching the same ones as you were; Outer Limits & Twilight Zone. I was watching mostly some of the "after-school" shows in syndication at the time back then. The first clear memory for me with the prime-time slot shows seems to be Combat!'s 3rd season '64-'65, and Lost in Space S1, around that time frame.

Although I didn't watch the final episode of the Fugitive, I still remember Dad getting home from work early that Tuesday to get the lawn mowed and some of those "Honey-Do" chores wrapped up before 9pm Central Time Posted Image

As for the "growing up" drama shows, that's an interesting point. I guess I'd say the same as you, The Invaders and the FBI were among the 2 that I remember watching after the Fugitive had been around awhile. I remember the perception that I had about the Fugitive at the time was that it was one of those "boring grown-up" shows Posted Image

As for somehow missing The Fugitive during the syndication years, in particular the A&E runs, I can't explain that except that during that time frame (was that in the early 90's?) I was watching mostly sports during prime-time on the C-Band Dish and only 1 or 2 prime-time shows at the time. "Earth 2" was one that I really liked. I haven't watched any network prime-time show since about '96.

Jeff "Until recently I'd picked the 70's as my favorite decade for TV, but now it's the 60's by a wide margin, thanks to TV/DVD and the info here" W.

#36 of 112 OFFLINE   David Von Pein

David Von Pein

Producer

• 5,736 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 06:26 PM

Good plan. It's a very good book ("The Fugitive Recaptured").

You can peruse many parts of that book via Amazon's "Search Inside" feature.

Before writing any Fugitive reviews, I always consult Ed Robertson's book for small bits of trivia and such that I can use in the reviews...plus I check the airdates and full episode titles for accuracy, etc.*

* = But Ed does have at least one mistake in his book regarding airdates. He's got two shows airing on the same date -- Jan. 12, 1965. But it's merely a small typo, which happens to me constantly. I can't remember the last forum post I've written that I didn't have to go back and edit out at least one small mistake, typo, or error of some kind. (Thank got for the "EDIT" button, I'll tell ya. Without that on most forums, I'd go stark-raving nuts, because I cannot stand mistakes/typos!) Posted Image

Posted Image

Reminder:

All Fuge fans might want to check out the David Janssen fan website located at The David Janssen Archive. Lots of good stuff in there, including the looped low-key theme music that plays on the main page. I like keeping that on in the background on occasion. It's very soothing.

It's been fun reading the posts in this thread....and Jeff's spirited enthusiasm for The Fuge is great to see (and can be very contagious).

BTW, if you didn't click on THIS LINK in my Vol. 2 review, I think Fuge fans might enjoy it. It took me a semi-lengthy amount of time to compose that information in that link, so I like to (shamelessly) plug it every chance I get. And now seems like as good a time as any for a re-plug. Posted Image

If only we could convince Paramount and CBS to create such a Mega-Set. Of course, sadly, since I originally wrote that, we've lost Barry Morse and Suzanne Pleshette, so obviously those "Commentaries" are now out of the question. But we can always pretend they recorded them a few years ago for the upcoming DVDs. That would have been ideal, indeed.

#37 of 112 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted March 01 2008 - 11:10 PM

Yeah, well, I DID mention the sci-fi aspect of my viewing, so we can assume that it was lumped in there. But if you really missed a reference, then I'll throw one in here. Posted Image

Many of the great guest stars and character actors that Irwin Allen used also got duty in the Quinn Martin shows like THE FUGITIVE. In this set alone as TIME TUNNEL "crossovers" we've got:

- Carroll O'Connor, who did double duty in the TIME TUNNEL episode "The Last Patrol" was in "Flight From The Final Demon"

- Arthur Batanides who really enjoyed playing the role of Batu in the TIME TUNNEL episode "Attack Of The Barbarians" appeared here in "Search In A Windy City"

- Malachi Throne, who managed two different TIME TUNNELs, "The Death Merchant" and "Night Of The Long Knives" did FUGITIVE duty in "Rat In A Corner"

- Rodolfo Hoyos, who also covered two TIME TUNNEL episodes, "The Alamo" and "Idol Of Death" was in FUGITIVE's "Angels Travel Lonely Roads"

- John Zaremba, a regular on THE TIME TUNNEL as Dr. Raymond Swain, played a druggist in "Taps For A Dead War"

- Paul Comi, in TIME TUNNEL's "Massacre", appeared as a deputy in "Never Stop Running".

One could do similar lists with actors who appeared in other popular shows of the day, like STAR TREK, etc. and some of those lists would be lengthy indeed.

These days I really get a kick out of seeing these familiar actors exercise their crafts in these old shows.

Harry
My DVD Collection

#38 of 112 OFFLINE   Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson

Screenwriter

• 2,391 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 05:24 AM

I really enjoyed the the half of season one and couldn't wait for the second half to arrive. (I saw the series in the original run as a kid but not having cable I haven't seen it since; so it's almost like seeing them fresh.) But what a let down starting off with The Garden House. That was so bad I wish they would have just "misplaced" the master. Not only was it a complete waste of 50 minutes; but worse it brings the level of the whole show down a notch. Campy acting. (The sister; but the character was so bad it was probably the direction.) Trite characters. (The husband's a boring stereotype. The wife was schizophrenic - which might have been fun if they played it out that way.) Just ... blecch! Sorry, I just had to rant after watching that episode this morning. On the plus side the next one, Come Watch Me Die, is one of my favorites so far.

#39 of 112 OFFLINE   Harry-N

Harry-N

Screenwriter

• 2,418 posts

Posted March 02 2008 - 11:03 PM

I'd probably have at least one complaint about THE FUGITIVE releases so far. And that complaint would be that the spine printing doesn't quite match up between the two half-season releases. Though the words "THE FUGITIVE" printed in red on a black background are the same size and font, they don't line up when next to each other on the shelf. One is printed higher up than the other. The CBS DVD logos at the top are of different sizes; Kimble's picture is skewed lower on the volume 2 release; the Season One Volume Two designation is in a slightly larger font; and the insert itself is slightly shorter than its Volume 1 counterpart. Even items like the [CC] and the Paramount logo at the bottom differ slightly between the releases. Now as I said, this is all "if I were a complainer". Personally, though I DID notice these things, they don't really bother me. Really, they don't...Really... Harry ...not bothered at all, really...no, really...
My DVD Collection

#40 of 112 OFFLINE   Tina_H_V

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor

• 652 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted March 03 2008 - 05:09 AM

I also own The Fugitive Recaptured as well. I first purchased the book upon its release way back in 1993--believe it or not!?

It is very well-written, full of antedotes about the series as well as other fun appendencies such as The Phewgitive, a 1964 Mad Magazine TV satire which caputed the essence of the classic TV series as only a Mad Magazine, IMHO, can!!!! Posted Image As with anything else Mad like Mad, I laughed heartily at this fine story.

I have always known of The Fugitive my entire life, the first of which was the 1966-7 color season which culminated with the landmark two-part series-ending conclusion, "The Judgment". And I knew of David Janssen more directly from Harry-O than I did as Dr. Kimble--at first!!!! His obit helped set things better for me upon his tragic passing at 49 in 1980.

Then, when the Harrison Ford movie came to pass in 1993, I knew instantly that this was a movie I instinctively had to attend right away--which I did at a multiplex in Atlanta on August 16, 1993. This Fuge fan had finally come home.

In the months to follow, I quickly picked up all the video tapes from the TV show as they were available (Camelot Video had some marked down for $5 a pop; Suncoast had others for $9) as well as the original pilot and The Judgment (sold seperately as stand-alone titles from the other Nu Venture Video collection) and bought the Ed Robertson book all within months before 1993 ended.

It was as if, somehow, this series was part of my subliminal DNA.

Recaptured also helped me fill in some of the blanks on the entire 120-episode run when a local TV station began airing some of the old episodes late in the summer of 1994. I managed to get all but a handful of them on video tape as a result. The tapes are still solid but are showing their age being that they all hail from the early-mid 1990s.

However, now, thanks be to these wonderful DVDs, I can finally enjoy The Fugitive with stronger video and audio than ever before. May this entire classic come to pass with ALL 120 episodes available on DVD right all the way through to The Judgment!!!! Posted Image
The Acid Queen Still Rocks and Souls!!!! ;D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users