What's new

Carmen Miranda Collection from Fox- coming in June (1 Viewer)

RafaelPires

Supporting Actor
I wasn't expecting this wonderful surprise.
Fox is announcing the Carmen Miranda collection for a June 17th release.
The box set will not contain 4 (as usual), but 5 films.
They are:
Doll Face
Greenwich Village
If I'm Lucky
Something For the Boys
The Gang's All Here (Remastered - yes, probably Fox heard our prayers and this time the colors will be all right).

The most important is that none of those 4 movies were never relased on vhs and Doll Face is finally rescued from PD hell.
With this release the only Miranda title yet to be out on dvd is Springtime in the rockies, and since it's a very famous film, I got a hunch it's reserved for a second Grable movie.

Way to go Fox!!! This is very great news and I have already pre-ordered my box.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
If it weren't for The Gang's All Here, they could have called it The Carmen Miranda And Vivian Blaine Collection since Ms. Blaine is actually the female lead in the four other films.

Future Oscar winner Judy Holliday has bit parts in both Greenwich Village and Something For The Boys.

CineKarine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Karine Philippot
That's really terrific news!!! More musical gems from Fox!
They really are doing a splendid job at releasing seldom-shown and/or previously unreleased titles.

And way to go for a remastered Gang's All Here!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This is a terrific bit of news. Haven't seen some of these films in years, and a remaster of GANGS is most welcome (and most needed).

Charles H

Screenwriter
Although SOMETHING FOR THE BOYS has been shown a couple of times on FMC, it's very rare, and I am pleasantly surprised that they were able to clear the Cole Porter. The THE GANG'S ALL HERE redux is a pleasant surprise and it reflects what a class act Fox is. I can't recall any studio responding with such a specific remedy to the vox populi of the consumers. Ditto what they are doing with FRONTIER MARSHAL and have done before with the exit music to CLEOPATRA. I would love it if they would consent to an HTF chat--they are much too modest for their own good.

P>S< Was Miranda's cameo in FOUR JILLS IN A JEEP filmed for JEEP or culled from another Fox film?

Eric Vedowski

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric
Miranda's appearance (along with Faye, Grable and George Jessel) was filmed for the movie-Miranda's first appearance for Fox in b&w. Their appearances are done like a radio broadcast for the servicemen. Fox has a number of outtakes from Jills that have all appeared elsewhere. Hope they include them. Never thought most of these would see the light of day on dvd. Lots of Perry Como included in these too.
I'm so glad Fox is redoing The Gang's All Here. I guess it does help to complain sometimes. That said I'd love to see Fox participate in a chat here too.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Ditto. The fact that Fox has listened and taken the trouble to have another go is one of the most positive messages this classic film fan has seen from any studio this past few months. Well done Fox.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Outstanding news, I have never seen any of these films (except for The Gang's All Here) so this is fantastic news, I can hardly wait for the press release to see what else is included!

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator
I'm kinda annoyed with Fox at the moment...

I finally settled on getting the three separate Ford At Fox sets since Amazon has had at least of couple of sales of each individual set at $25 a piece -- so it is $200 cheaper (in Amazon pricing) to get the three smaller sets than the big set since the pre-order discount on the latter disappeared.

The copy of 'How Green Was My Valley' included in this set is the older, pre-Studio Classics version.

I still have the Studio Classics version, but I'm still pretty frustrated. The packaging clearly acknowledges the missing commentary and documentary.

Hopefully similar issues won't plague the Carmen Miranda set wrt 'The Gang's All Here' where the older version from the Alice Faye set gets mixed in with the remastered version.

Didn't something similar happen with Fox's Mel Brooks set?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

You can't compare getting the individual sets to the complete box set not least because that won't get you all the films that make up 'Ford at Fox'.

But I think I've mentioned this before; when Fox brought out the first 'Studio Classics Collection' (the one with 'Sunrise'), most Canadian etailers were stocking boxes with the old 'How Green Was My Valley' included, and Fox didnt make a single comment as far as I recall. Despite telling Amazon.ca exactly what the problem was, they simply sent me another set, with the same problem. Fox were just dumping old copies on the Canadian market.

In the end, I gave up; I was only buying the box for 'Sunrise' and I already had the Studio Classics HGWMV anyway! But the fact they are still pulling this stunt beggars belief.

Jay Gregory

Stunt Coordinator

Yeah, I actually spent about $93 -- as opposed to $75 -- and included the 'Born Reckless/Pilgrimage' two-fer in my order. I'll eventually get the new 'Shark Island' to supplement my Masters Of Cinema version, and I already own 'Young Mr Lincoln' on a 2 disk set (Apparently disk 2 is missing from the box set.) Of course, I already own each feature in the 'Essential' box -- at least each feature directed by John Ford, but I'm looking forward to the apparently improved 'Drums Across the Mohawk.'

I really wanted the big box for the book and all the trimmings, but --after three months of hand-wringing-- was ultimately swayed by the cheap prices and space savings afforded by the the smaller boxes. Too bad Santa didn't come through for me last Xmas. :)

If Fox wants to put out another box with the remaining five titles, I will buy it.

And I hope there are no screw-ups with old 'Gang's All Here' disks in the Carmen Miranda box!

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

It's quite beautiful; night and day better than the previous disc, which had always somehow bothered me. Kudos to Fox for having another go.

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly
All right this is a great surpise! I just might have to buy this set! Nice to see Fox fix The Gang's All Here!

Since Springtime in the Rockies isn't included I hope this is a sign another Betty Grable set is on the way!

BethHarrison

Second Unit
Real Name
Bethany Harrison

Would rather see a second Alice Faye set than more Grable. Would be wonderful to see Rose of Washington Square finally get a gig.

haroldS

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, it is nice that Fox is bring out a "Remastered" The Gang Is All Here, and mistakes do happen when bring our older films, where the available prints have technical problems, but in effect Fox is admitting it made a mistake in last year's release. Why then should the buyer have to pay twice for Fox's mistake? Isn't this the worst kind of "double dipping?" Why shouldn't Fox announce a replacement program?

KellyVO

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kelly

Honestly I rather see another Alice Faye set as well but I'll take what Fox musicals I can! I'm dying for a DVD release of Hello Frisco Hello. I also wish Fox would release Mother Wore Tights. Does anybody know if a second Betty Grable set is on the way?

Corey

Screenwriter
Wow, I wasn't expecting this at all. This is a definite buy for me. I love Carmen.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks