-

Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Can you run 2 computers with one monitor/keyboard/mouse?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 of 6 Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,043 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 10:47 AM

Title says it all. Without going into all the gory details (unless someone wants to know) I'd like to know if it's possible to set up a pair of PC's so they use one monitor, keyboard and mouse without unpluging each time I need the other PC. Is there some sort of switcher box that allows this?

TIA
You want to upgrade again?!!

#2 of 6 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted February 26 2008 - 11:00 AM

Yep. What your looking for is called a KVM switch (for "keyboard/video/mouse") and you can find them in many configurations. Here are a couple of examples, a USB from D-Link and a PS/2 model from Zonet. These happen to be on CompUSA.com, but any store that carries computer components and accessories will have a selection of KVMs.

Regards,

Joe

#3 of 6 Diallo B

Diallo B

Screenwriter

• 1,075 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 11:38 AM

or you can use 'remote desktop' which is included in xp. im not sure about vista.

i haven't used it in 4 years, but it works. makes a remote computer a 'window' on your base computer that you can toggle to much like you do your regular windows.
listen with your own ears...
watch with your own eyes...
make your own decision.

#4 of 6 Jim_C

Jim_C

Screenwriter

• 2,043 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 12:04 PM

KVM switch....excellent. I figured there was something out there. I'll check it out. Thanks.

Diallo, if the KVM doesn't do the job I'll try your suggestion.
You want to upgrade again?!!

#5 of 6 nolesrule

nolesrule

Producer

• 3,084 posts
  • LocationClearwater, FL

Posted February 26 2008 - 05:02 PM

I've been using an ATEN KVM switch for the past couple of years with 3 computers and it has always worked flawlessly. That brand was highly recommended when I was doing my research on what to buy.

#6 of 6 Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

• 1,529 posts

Posted February 28 2008 - 08:28 AM

A no-expense and very smooth way is to get Synergy.

Synergy

Though you need two screens...

However, you use only one keyboard and mouse. The computers talk on the network and you can just seamlessly move the mouse pointer from computer to computer and type on the one keyboard. Very useful if you want to use two computers at once without switching back and forth.
"If we do happen to step on a mine, Sir, what do we do?"
"Normal procedure, Lieutenant, is to jump 200 feet in the air and scatter oneself over a wide area." -- "BlackAdder 4"