Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Taxi

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 of 30 OFFLINE   Neil_Duffy

Neil_Duffy

Second Unit

• 320 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 06:26 AM

Anyone know what's happened to the last few seasons of this? I heard it was coming a while ago... but nothing recently... any news, anyone?

#2 of 30 OFFLINE   Dan*T

Dan*T

Supporting Actor

• 534 posts

Posted February 27 2008 - 03:03 PM

I'm totally with you dude..
Paramount, where the hell is seasons 4 & 5?
Dan T.

#3 of 30 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,946 posts

Posted February 27 2008 - 11:59 PM

We want seasons 4 & 5!!

#4 of 30 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,946 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 04:05 AM

Season 4 is coming! Sept. 22, according to TVShowsonDVD.com.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Taxi-Season-4/12205

#5 of 30 OFFLINE   streeter

streeter

Screenwriter

• 1,391 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 04:10 AM

Wonderful news! Season 4 and 5 are among my most-wanted TV on DVD titles.
Looks like they're going with a different cover. I won't complain.

Nothing Lost Forever: The Films of Tom Schiller
"I'll tell you why... 'cause I'm a dancer."

home page / dvds

#6 of 30 OFFLINE   Bill GrandPre

Bill GrandPre

Screenwriter

• 2,068 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by streeter 

Wonderful news! Season 4 and 5 are among my most-wanted TV on DVD titles.
Looks like they're going with a different cover. I won't complain.

The packaging is seriously troublesome on this release.

Why?  Because changing the packaging makes buying this release option #3.

My first thought?  I'll wait and see if the previous seasons are re-issued in this style and see if season 5 is released in matching packaging too (if it's released at all).

My second thought?  If I'm going to do that I might as well hope for a complete-series set.

Third?  Go out and buy all four (including the new one), accept the packaging weirdness and hope for the fifth season.

So yeah, as you can see it's not an ideal release by any stretch.

If Paramount were smart they'd just release seasons 4 and 5 at the same time for those of you who did wait 4+ years after buying previous seasons (in matching packaging, no less) and they'd release a complete-series set for procrastinators like me (and the reason I did it was for this very reason, I anticipated that the show had abandon-potential from the beginning) with no exploitative "exclusive bonus" content.

That way, everyone's happy and all the content is out there.  Of course, that just makes too much sense.

Also, with shows like this practically everyone who is on-board for season 4 is going to buy season 5 anyway so there's absolutely no reason why they shouldn't just put both of them out.  I'm fairly certain there's no rigorous restoration involved in these releases nor is there any substantial bonus material.

But yeah, I've waited this long and I'll just hold out for a complete series set.

Don't you ever, EVER compare me to "Family Guy," you hear me Kyle? Compare me to "Family Guy" again and so help me, I will kill you where you stand!

Do you have any idea what it's like? Everywhere I go: "Hey Cartman you must like 'Family Guy,' right?" "Hey, your sense of humor reminds me of...

#7 of 30 OFFLINE   Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight

Second Unit

• 479 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 05:36 PM

Words cannot describe how happy I am that,after five long years,the fourth season of Taxi is finally being released.After all this time,I had resigned myself that the series wouldn't be completed.I guess Never say never.

#8 of 30 OFFLINE   David Rain

David Rain

Screenwriter

• 1,097 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 06:03 PM

Gee, it seemed to take a long time, didn't it ? Ahem. It just goes to show that you should never give up hope.

Now, GO BUY IT, FOLKS! Otherwise don't complain when the next season never sees the light of day.

Still Turning the Beat Around at Our Cool New Pad

Retro Remixes

#9 of 30 OFFLINE   bmasters9

bmasters9

Second Unit

• 362 posts

Posted June 30 2009 - 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Rain View Post

Gee, it seemed to take a long time, didn't it ? Ahem. It just goes to show that you should never give up hope.

Now, GO BUY IT, FOLKS! Otherwise don't complain when the next season never sees the light of day.
Exactly what I said on Sitcoms Online. Either pre-order it or "day-and-date" it. Both of those will help immensely in showing demand.
"CBS Sports presents...The Prudential College Football Report, sponsored by The Prudential, offering a full range of insurance and other financial services. The Prudential: the Rock...it's strong, it's on the move, it's bigger than life."

(Don Robertson's opening from The Prudential College Football Report in the 1986 season, modified from what it was in 1985, in that "other financial services" was said instead of just "financial services")

#10 of 30 OFFLINE   Jeff Willis

Jeff Willis

Producer

• 3,382 posts
  • LocationDallas TX

Posted November 10 2013 - 03:06 AM

Taxi complete series is on sale as one of Amazon's "Deal of the Day" sales at $47.99 here

ml1fyo.jpg  "Checkmate King Two, 'Out'" "Combat! A Selmur Production"

TV/DVD Collector, mainly 50's thru 90's with a few 2000+ shows.
My 2 all-time favorite TV shows:
"Combat!" & "The Fugitive"
My 2 all-time best blind-buys: "The Fugitive"   "The Donna Reed Show"

#11 of 30 OFFLINE   albert_m2

albert_m2

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 04:23 PM

According to thshowsondvd.com an actual complete series (not all of the separate sets sold as one set) will be released this Fall...

http://tvshowsondvd.com/n/20202

#12 of 30 OFFLINE   Sam Favate

Sam Favate

Producer

• 4,946 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 04:33 PM

These are certainly the same discs in the season sets. I'd be interested to see this in blu-ray.

#13 of 30 OFFLINE   Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,137 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 05:06 PM

I'd get this if CBS went back and fixed some of their over zealous music edits. Otherwise, I'm not all that interested.

#14 of 30 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts

Posted August 24 2014 - 05:52 PM

I have Taxi on to buy list as such I was quite happy to see the complete series released. I will look at purchasing the show next year or if I see a good deal!

#15 of 30 OFFLINE   albert_m2

albert_m2

Stunt Coordinator

• 110 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 07:05 AM

The pre-order price this weekend was $55 so I bet there will be holiday deals below $50 (maybe below $40?). I never got the season sets, so this one will be on my radar.

#16 of 30 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts

Posted August 25 2014 - 04:48 PM

Order my set today for $61 (Canadian)!! I always quantified Taxi as the Cheers of the 1970s!!!

#17 of 30 OFFLINE   younger1968

younger1968

Screenwriter

• 2,366 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 04:36 PM

Any comments on Taxi? I am looking forward to this set as I remember the show fondly as child!! 

#18 of 30 OFFLINE   Corey3rd

Corey3rd

Screenwriter

• 1,721 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 05:22 PM

Any comments on Taxi? I am looking forward to this set as I remember the show fondly as child!! 

A lot of people that worked on Cheers also worked on Taxi. The show is amazing in how it made main characters vanish. The Southern cabbie is completely forgotten after the first season. Bobby gets written off when they realize he's the same character as Bobby. 

come see the reviews at
http://thedvdlounge.com/

and the Seinfeld Tour Bus

#19 of 30 OFFLINE   Hasslein

Hasslein

Stunt Coordinator

• 182 posts

Posted August 29 2014 - 07:24 PM

It is still worth owning, but a handful of episodes are butchered because of music clearance issues.

#20 of 30 OFFLINE   Dave Lawrence

Dave Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator

• 133 posts

Posted August 30 2014 - 06:46 AM

I'd get this if CBS went back and fixed some of their over zealous music edits. Otherwise, I'm not all that interested.

This. When Amazon recently had a sale on every season bundled together, I almost bought it. But then I checked out some of the reviews of the individual seasons. I could probably grit my teeth and tolerate most of the cuts, because I honestly don't remember as much of the individual music from this show as I do from shows like WKRP and Murphy Brown. But speaking as a Billy Joel fan, how do you not have the song "Vienna" in the episode "Vienna Waits"?

So I'll pass. Still a great series, though. Especially once Rev. Jim shows up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users