What's new

Are these future HD DVD's cancelled? (1 Viewer)

LarryH

Supporting Actor
Amazon has e-mailed me that they are canceling my HD DVD orders for There Will Be Blood and for Before the Devil Knows You're Dead with the following statement:

"Though we had expected to be able to send this item to you, we've
since found that it is not available from any of our sources at this
time. We realize this is disappointing news to hear, and we apologize
for the inconvenience we have caused you.

"We have cancelled (sic) this item from your order."

They are stll shown on HTF's HD DVD release list. Does anybody know what's going on here? Has Amazon just dropped their HD DVD customers without any further explanation?

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Quite possible (some future HD DVDs to be cancelled).
I got that e-mail too, and immediately tried to order "before the devil knows" from another e-tailer (who still had it listed), but then received a message that unfortunately it would not be available.

Cees

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

Why would you assume it's Amazon doing the "dropping"? If they can't get the item, then there's an issue somewhere else.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
I have heard that Image balked at an HD DVD release of 'Before the Devil Knows You're Dead' after Toshiba's announcement that they were dropping HD DVD, so it sounds fairly certain that title will not be available on that format.

'There Will Be Blood' is less certain. I have heard that this title has been removed from the password protected listing on the Paramount site for HD DVD. From a couple of insiders on blu-ray.com it appears that a lot of things are in flux for Paramount with respect to HD DVD because of contention between Toshiba and the studio over monies exchanged and the giving back thereof.

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
One second while I check my magic 8 ball for an answer...

I wish Paramount and Universal would quickly figure out and announce what there plans are for specific title releases in both formats. I appricate WB annoucing that they are sticking to their schedule.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Perhaps they're waiting to hear what time slots they are granted on the production line?
After all, they must have been the last parties to reserve for the rest of the year.

Cees

Brian Docili

Auditioning
I think that Paramount and Image have decided that the cost of producing those titles in HD-DVD is not worth the cost. Since they know that the installed base of HD-DVD players is decreasing, not increasing (people are returning their players to Costco and other retailers that will take them back), they will not get THAT many sales on Day 1, and then the titles will be put into the HD-DVD fire sales to clear them out. Creating a title on one specific format is an investment.

I can't blame them. I would do the same thing. It is in their best interests to get people to become Blu supporters, so releasing their titles on one format only will help achieve that.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes

They should stick to their release schedule. A couple titles rounding out the HD DVD format isn't going to make any difference in the final analysis, as far as people adopting Blu-ray or not.

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB

I'm sure the money they'd lose releasing ANY title on HD-DVD at this point makes a LOT of difference to them. I'm frankly surprised every remaining HD-DVD release hasn't been canceled outright, since there's clearly no profit to be made.

Brian Docili

Auditioning
Money is money. Corporations have no interest in making anyone but their shareholders happy, so I can't see them releasing any more titles that they think will lose money.

Now, I have no idea what the analysis is for those titles. They are 'dark' 'non-mainstream' films, so they probably would not have sold that many copies anyways.

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
I know this is the wrong forum but I was trying new "skins" at the bottom of the page and when I tried the ?WAP choice I entered a weird screen mode that I cannot get out of. I just want to get my "green skin" back but there's no option to do so. Help!

Brad

Paul Beck

Agent
If your original purchase was with the special discount that is now droopped, you may have luck in getting the Blu-ray version at Amazon with that same discount. Try it.

LarryH

Supporting Actor

No assumption. I was just asking a question given that there has been no official announcement or other clue that these have been canceled.

There is still only speculation.

Also, I doubt that the reported returns can mean they would sell fewer units than they would have a couple of months ago when they presumably planned these releases. By the time the Blu rays appear, these will have lost their currency and most people will have purchased them on standard def.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Huh? "Before the Devil Knows You're Dead" is already slated for a Blu-ray release. The "Jack Ryan Collection" has no "currency" to speak of, since it's entirely catalog stretching back ~20 years.

As for "There Will Be Blood" is in the BD production line for Europe and Japan (via Disney). Seeing as how they'd have to change all of one logo, I can't imagine anything other than a US BD release.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
Yeah, the video trailer on hollywoodinhidef.com says it's coming to DVD and exclusively Blu-Ray. I would like a date though

LarryH

Supporting Actor

Oops! Sorry, I missed that. I forgot anybody else had supported both formats. Thanks.

Not sure where "Jack Ryan Collection" relates to my post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks