Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests and remove the pop-up ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Popping sound from subwoofer

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 of 7 OFFLINE   Kolofai

Kolofai

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 01:52 PM

All of a sudden my power subwoofer has a popping sound every 3 sec "POP pop, POP pop...." I switched it off and it will pop once then silent. Power back on, the popping sound will come back after 5 mins, Any idea ? I disconnected all cables to the subwoofer but the sound is still therePosted Image

#2 of 7 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 02:04 PM

This happened to me the other night. I was hearing a strange popping sound. Then, I took the popcorn out of the microwave and ate it. Posted Image Just kidding. Do you have any chords or cables bundled up or overlapping each other? You could be getting a surge as well. Do you have the subwoofer plugged into a wall outlet or a power conditioner? Also make sure your connections haven't loosened.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#3 of 7 OFFLINE   John Dirk

John Dirk

Second Unit

• 412 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 02:04 PM

If it's doing this without even being connected to an audio source, then it must be a problem with the subs amplifier. John
"The names Francis Sawyer, but everybody calls me "Psycho."
Any of YOU guys call ME Francis, and I'll kill ya!"

My Home Theater
My BlogMy Travels

#4 of 7 OFFLINE   Todd Smigelski

Todd Smigelski

Stunt Coordinator

• 116 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 05:14 AM

I agree. Your internal amp is most likely toast.

#5 of 7 OFFLINE   chuckg

chuckg

Supporting Actor

• 917 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 06:54 AM

what sub do you have? My guess is that it has one of those evil auto-on features, and that the sub is turning itself on and off. This is most annoying. One fix is to replace the sub amp. another fix is to replace the whole sub. Or, you could pretend there is a rap concert next door. (just kidding)
--ignore the man behind the curtain

#6 of 7 OFFLINE   Kolofai

Kolofai

Auditioning

• 2 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 12:36 PM

I have a Mirage PS series sub which I brought about 10 years ago. If the sub amp is toasted I think its not worth to get a repair rather than get another one. I did plugged the sub to the wall outlet to see if power supply is the problem but it made no different. It just keep POP pop on its own with no wire connected to it.

#7 of 7 OFFLINE   pink

pink

Stunt Coordinator

• 179 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 12:45 PM

just buy a new plate amp, their not expensive for around $200.00 you can pick up 600 watt amp. sub amps are very cheap there is nothing to them..check madisound or partsexpress, you can go on e-bay and just put in plate amps..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users