Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

Any chance of TCM-HD in the near future?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 of 52 Holadem

Holadem

Lead Actor

• 8,972 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 10:55 AM

I mentioned this in some other thread but believe the topic deserves it's own.

Is it possible that the powers that be are holding back intentionally on moving this channel to HD? Consider someone like me who generally couldn't care less about extras on DVDs. Every OAR film recorded off an eventual TCM-HD would be one movie off my purchase list. Could this be a factor?

--
H

#2 of 52 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 11:01 AM

You could make a similar argument for HDNet Movies, but they don't hesitate to show many classic films. I think it's more due to financial/technical reasons. By the way, as much as I love HDNet Movies, the technical quality is inferior to what you get on HDDVD/BR. On the other hand, if all you want is DVD quality, that might be enough for you.

#3 of 52 TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,431 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 24 2008 - 11:03 AM

I'm certainly no expert but wouldn't it be a bigger problem to get HD transfers for all the movies? TCM must have the biggest library on cable and I can't imagine that many of the movies they play have HD transfers yet.

On a side note, if TCM did have an HD feed, I would become a shut-in and watch their channel all day. Posted Image

#4 of 52 RobertR

RobertR

Lead Actor

• 9,418 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 12:04 PM

I'd love it if TCM went HD.

#5 of 52 takashimorinozu

takashimorinozu

Auditioning

• 3 posts

Posted June 24 2009 - 05:30 AM

I have Cablevision and I just noticed TCM-HD today. It is channel 734 for those who have this cable provider.

They're showing an older film right now so I don't know what the pic quality will be like. It is windowboxed properly though and looks better than the standard def channel. We'll see when they show Dr. Strangelove tonight how good the HD looks (if they show it in HD).

#6 of 52 Joseph DeMartino

Joseph DeMartino

Lead Actor

• 8,301 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted June 24 2009 - 05:42 AM

Oh, well, despite the duplicate posts, at least this thread is in the right forum, unlike the original one. Posted Image My cable company (Comcast in south Florida) is very slow to add new HD channels, even cut HD Net last year, so I'm not holding my breath waiting for AMC-HD or TCM-HD. Hell, I'm still waiting for FX-HD. (I watch all the FX originals like Rescue Me and Damages via "On Demand" because they're available in HD there, even though Comcast doesn't carry the HD version of the channel. Go figure.)

Regards,

Joe

#7 of 52 MatthewA

MatthewA

Producer

• 5,998 posts
  • LocationSalinas, CA

Posted June 24 2009 - 08:52 AM

I have Time Warner Cable, and they, of all people, don't seem to have TCM-HD on their lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
On a side note, if TCM did have an HD feed, I would become a shut-in and watch their channel all day.

I know. It could end up being dangerous.

Enough is enough, Disney. We DEMAND the release Song of the South on Blu-ray.

My DVD/BD List at DVD Aficionado

#8 of 52 Jim Rankin

Jim Rankin

Stunt Coordinator

• 207 posts

Posted June 28 2009 - 11:19 PM

Comcast just sent me a flyer with the new upcoming channel line-up. They are adding a ton of HD movie channels, but alas no TCM HD.

#9 of 52 Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben

Studio Mogul

• 21,769 posts

Posted August 20 2009 - 10:01 AM

Time Warner Cable Manhattan just added TCM-HD this week. What remains to be seen is whether this will be one of their HD channels that gets good reception (e.g., HBO) or one that is subject to constant break-up (e.g., TNT). Only time will tell.
COMPLETE list of my disc reviews.       HTF Rules / 200920102011 Film Lists

#10 of 52 WilliamMcK

WilliamMcK

Stunt Coordinator

• 168 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted August 21 2009 - 04:37 AM

Not sure this is the appropriate forum, but I thought people would be interested to know that TCM is now available in HD.  If you live in New York City (at least in Manhattan) and have Time-Warner cable, it's on channel 782.  I assume other areas and companies are making this available as well... so check it out.

Obviously how good a movie looks in HD depends on the source being broadcast.  The good stuff looks REALLY good.  The not so good stuff, looks arguably a little worse in HD than in SD.  Yesterday I watched chunks of The Old Maid which looked so good I could have sworn I was in a 1939 movie house watching a pristine print; and Trouble in Paradise, which didn't look so hot (noticeable chroma).  Can't wait to see some wide screen films  (The King and I is on next Wed., yippee!).

[Combined w/existing thread]

#11 of 52 Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted September 20 2009 - 08:08 AM

Just got TCM HD in my area.

Good stuff!

#12 of 52 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted September 20 2009 - 11:30 AM

Come on DirecTV!

#13 of 52 Lynng

Lynng

Auditioning

• 1 posts

Posted September 22 2009 - 10:30 AM

It's here!!
The upgraded Comcast systems in Atanta have TCM HD.
The newer movies look great. I just discovered it two days ago.
The older movies appear to be upcoverted or just shown with bars on the side/img/vbsmilies/htf/alien.gif
It would be nice if Comcast notified subscribers about new channels.

#14 of 52 Kronosis

Kronosis

Agent

• 32 posts

Posted October 20 2009 - 01:19 PM

I've noticed a lot of talk about Comcast and Time Warner. I have ATT Uverse and was wondering if anyone here subscribes to this service as well.

I've been watching the announcements, but have yet to see any announcement regarding Uverse offering TCM-HD. Does anyone know if this channel pickup is a possibility?

"I just been standin' here, thinkin' how looked up to I'd be, back in Wilder's Holler, if I's to take home somethin' like this jar..."

#15 of 52 Worth

Worth

Screenwriter

• 1,052 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 05:34 AM

We just got this in my area and I`ve noticed that all of TCM`s true HD presentations so far have been windowboxed on all sides.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is this common practice?
Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife. Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.

#16 of 52 Steve Armbrust

Steve Armbrust

Second Unit

• 275 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth View Post

We just got this in my area and I`ve noticed that all of TCM`s true HD presentations so far have been windowboxed on all sides.

I have not seen this at all.  All of the TCM-HD widescreen movies that I've seen have been displayed full-width. Some letterboxing for wider movies and pillarboxing for 4:3 movies, but not both.

Living in the Baseball Wasteland.

#17 of 52 Michael Rogers

Michael Rogers

Supporting Actor

• 732 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 08:24 AM

Yeah, I've noticed it but my TV is set for no overscan (on purpose) and perhaps yours is too. I bet with overscan you can't see the black side bars on wide screen presentations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worth 

#18 of 52 Michael Harris

Michael Harris

Screenwriter

• 1,344 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 08:38 AM

Cox in Fairfax is getting it later this month.  Can't wait.

#19 of 52 Jim*Tod

Jim*Tod

Second Unit

• 284 posts
  • LocationRichmond, VA

Posted December 05 2009 - 03:54 PM

I contacted Comcast here in Richmond, Va about TCM-HD and was basically told there was not enough interest in our area for this.  Anyone in the Richmond area know if any of the other cable providers have indicated they will be carrying it?

#20 of 52 Kevin Hewell

Kevin Hewell

Screenwriter

• 1,930 posts

Posted December 05 2009 - 04:56 PM

"I contacted Comcast here in Richmond, Va about TCM-HD and was basically told there was not enough interest in our area for this."

That is just wrong.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users