-

Photo
- - - - -

So...are you mixing-in your HD discs with your SD-DVDs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
207 replies to this topic

#41 of 208 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,859 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Easton
Another reason I have 'em all mixed in... Do you think I want my wife to be able to tell at a glance, how many HD-DVDs I continue to "sneak" into the house?!

LOL. Fortunately, my wife has started to think that she's spoiled by BD now (after just 2 months). She looks more forward to watching a BD than a DVD now. Posted Image And since she knows I generally try to be moderately prudent about my purchases anyway, it's not a real problem at all.

Quote:
Anyway, when I'm looking for a movie to watch, I don't want "Do I want HD or SD?" to be a deciding factor.

Agreed. Besides, it's not like DVD is suddenly soooo unwatchable in comparison (in most cases anyway). Posted Image Also, in cases where I want to keep the old DVD alongside the new BD (for the extras, as a popular loaner, for road-trips, etc), it's more convenient to have both next to each other on the shelf.

Like some/many(?), I do like keeping my collection segregated by relatively broad thematic categories (as I or the wife is often in certain moods to watch certain types of movies), but haven't been on top of things in recent years since my collection just keeps getting messed up all the time (by the kids, etc).

Also, I do keep newly bought titles that I've never seen before in their own separate (and growing Posted Image) stash.

I really need to get back on top of things... Posted Image

_Man_
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#42 of 208 OFFLINE   Mike.B

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator

• 185 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 02:57 AM

I mix all my discs together (DVDs, Blu-rays, HD DVDs) alphabetically.

To those who put their collections together by genre, I have a question: how do you decide what genre to put a movie or show in? Obviously a lot of movies are hard to categorize or could easily be placed into multiple genres.

#43 of 208 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 03:40 AM

Like i said, I combine genres, so it makes it a little easier, ie... Drama/Action/Classics...Sci-fi/Fantasy/Horror. TV shows I keep on a different set of shelves in an adjoining room.

#44 of 208 OFFLINE   Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,639 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 03:56 AM

We manage. A decision has to be made. Posted Image

But it also depends on the type of genres you distinguish.
In my VHS time, I used to have "Crime", "War", "History", "Drama", "Psychological", "Comedy" and more like that. Sometimes difficult indeed.

Now I have "Film", Documentation", "Animated", "TV-series", etc. Some are divided further because of themes that are important to me, like "Western", "Geography", "TV-sleuth", "Family".

A specific "theme" is "Double". This allows me to give away discs at a whim.

If it wasn't for the PC era, I too would have everything alphabetically in my cabinet. But that's already how they are stored in my PC, so I can print out any other ordering I like as well, and at least find every disc I own.

Cees

#45 of 208 OFFLINE   Dave H

Dave H

Producer

• 5,276 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 03:58 AM

I keep my BDs separate from my DVDs.

#46 of 208 OFFLINE   bigluigi

bigluigi

Second Unit

• 329 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 04:05 AM

I just keep everything alphabetized for easy retrieval. My wife, bless her little heart, keeps a list of our titles on several sheets of paper and there separated by genre.

#47 of 208 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 26 2008 - 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.B
I mix all my discs together (DVDs, Blu-rays, HD DVDs) alphabetically.

To those who put their collections together by genre, I have a question: how do you decide what genre to put a movie or show in? Obviously a lot of movies are hard to categorize or could easily be placed into multiple genres.
I answered that above. I select what, to me, appears to be the dominant genre in films that could have more than one and place it in that genre.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#48 of 208 OFFLINE   Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph

Lead Actor

• 8,338 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 06:25 AM

HD-DVD and Blu-Ray are together and SD's are seperate.
Click on above image to enter " T H E . H O L O D E C K "
---------------------------------------------------------
The Holodeck. My DIY Screen. DIY Subwoofer: The MaxCaliber
My humble collection of DVD's. HTF Beginner's Primer and FAQ

#49 of 208 OFFLINE   ErichH

ErichH

Screenwriter

• 1,167 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul Marquez,MD
My collection runs to ~ 4,200 titles

Man, that's a darn furniture chewin' collection Posted Image
I thought my 380 might be a little much.

Segregated at first, and blending over time. Less than 9% of the collection.

#50 of 208 OFFLINE   Gabriel.H

Gabriel.H

Stunt Coordinator

• 111 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 11:56 AM

Yeah my HD DVD's and Blu-Ray movies are taking up my top shelf while my sd dvd's are on the next row below or in storage cases.

#51 of 208 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,859 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErichH
Man, that's a darn furniture chewin' collection Posted Image
I thought my 380 might be a little much.

Segregated at first, and blending over time. Less than 9% of the collection.

Hahaha. Seems that lots of folks on HTF have much bigger collections than that. I've lost count myself, but I'm probably in the 600's, if not more.

When I first began collecting DVDs, I thought it'd be good to set a limit for myself like no more than 1 DVD for each day of the year, including subtracting whatever I end up not wanting anymore and selling away, but that only lasted for a few years. Posted Image

I think I should try to stick to that rule this time w/ HDM (well, BD only so far Posted Image ) Posted Image especially if pricing doesn't come down as far as DVD has... Posted Image

_Man_

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#52 of 208 OFFLINE   Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,199 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 12:37 PM

At first I was going to mix my HDM with my DVD's but I ended up arranging my HD-DVD's in alphbetical order seperately from the Blu-ray's. That lasted for about 2 months then I mixed both HD-DVD and Blu-ray titles together. While still keeping them seperate from the SD-DVD's.

My SD-DVD collection seems really small compaired to some of you here. Posted Image

SD-DVD's 280
Blu-ray 86
HD-DVD 66

HDM actually makes me want to build a huge movie library including the older classics. I do not think I really considered doing this with VHS, Laserdisc or DVD.

I just really love HD! Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#53 of 208 OFFLINE   troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
I've lost count myself, but I'm probably in the 600's, if not more.
After I hit 2500, I stopped counting.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#54 of 208 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted February 26 2008 - 11:41 PM

I've passed the 1,550 mark in the new year and now, for the first time ever, when people ask me how many DVDs I own, I can't give them the exact number, just an approximate...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#55 of 208 ONLINE   TravisR

TravisR

Studio Mogul

• 21,999 posts
  • LocationThe basement of the FBI building

Posted February 27 2008 - 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis Brashear
I've passed the 1,550 mark in the new year and now, for the first time ever, when people ask me how many DVDs I own, I can't give them the exact number, just an approximate...
I'm at 1850 or so. I had to create a list to keep them straight because when I hit about 900, I'd occasionally buy an older catalog title and bring it home and realize that I already had it. Posted Image

And to answer the question in the topic, I keep my Blu Ray discs separate from my SD discs.

#56 of 208 OFFLINE   ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,859 posts

Posted February 27 2008 - 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravisR
I'm at 1850 or so. I had to create a list to keep them straight because when I hit about 900, I'd occasionally buy an older catalog title and bring it home and realize that I already had it. Posted Image

LOL. Who hasn't done that here? Posted Image I think I've done it a few times myself even though my collection is not nearly as big. Posted Image It generally happens to me w/ titles I've bought but never got around to viewing w/in a year or so (and then accidentally rebuy it in some big sale or something at bargain bin prices). Posted Image

_Man_

#57 of 208 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 27 2008 - 09:35 AM

Been there!

#58 of 208 OFFLINE   PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,580 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 27 2008 - 09:38 AM

I've done that with books (I'm an historian--I must have close to five thousand books on my shelves) but not with CDs or DVDs--yet. Posted Image
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#59 of 208 OFFLINE   Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted February 27 2008 - 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man-Fai Wong
LOL. Who hasn't done that here? Posted Image

Actually, so far, I've ducked that particular bullet...
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#60 of 208 OFFLINE   Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,814 posts

Posted February 27 2008 - 09:56 AM

As a matter of fact, I have two Ebay auctions going on right now for the same thing. I hope I lose one of them! Doh!

Back to Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow