-

Photo
- - - - -

So...are you mixing-in your HD discs with your SD-DVDs?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
207 replies to this topic

#201 of 208 Moe Dickstein

Moe Dickstein

Producer

• 3,145 posts
  • LocationSherman Oaks, CA

Posted August 12 2012 - 02:29 PM

I am so retentive that would drive me bonkers.  Fox and the Hound I/II, for instance, are on the same BD disc...but two different DVD's...

It would have driven me nuts having one of the films be wrong lol
Yes, these strange things happen all the time - PT Anderson, Magnolia

#202 of 208 ManW_TheUncool

ManW_TheUncool

Producer

• 5,849 posts

Posted August 12 2012 - 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by JeremyLG 

One thing that has always drived me crazy is that all disc packaging, just like most books, design the spine label to be read from top to bottom when it is upright on a shelf (in English). If it is laying on a table it is easily ready left to right (in English) which does make sense. However, when all these titles on a shelf if I am glancing at titles quickly, it seems slightly slower to read the titles since it is similar to reading a page of text from the bottom of the page to the top. (this is getting harder for me to describe as I write... oh well.) SO... the way I have all these disc on my self currently is "upside down" where the spine reads from bottom to top. At first, I thought it looked a little off - heck, its a conversation starter - but, I've come to like it.

Think I understand what you mean, but I guess you don't have any that are actually different from that.  I have some UK import titles that are basically upside-down-and-reversed of this, ie. rotated 180 degrees -- IIRC, they're mainly releases not produced by the major studios, eg. Artificial Eye.  Doesn't bother me too much when they're standing "upright" on the shelf, but quite annoying when I lay them down w/ front cover facing up, eg. in a stack, because the title on the spine will then be upside-down-and-reversed.  I'm not too sure at the moment (and too lazy to doublecheck), but IIRC, certain US releases might also be that way unless you opt to use the slipcover's spine instead of the actual BD case's spine -- I'm thinking Kino's titles off the top of my head.

_Man_

Just another amateur learning to paint w/ "the light of the world".

"Whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is of good repute, if there is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, dwell on these things..." (St. Paul)

#203 of 208 Jason_V

Jason_V

Producer

• 4,710 posts
  • LocationBothell, WA

Posted August 13 2012 - 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Kevin EK 

I'll jump into this one again.

I have wound up with a system using two large Ikea cabinets, each with 8 shelves on the left and right side, and each shelf double-rowed so that the shelf holds twice the number of DVDs it appears to hold.  (There's a back row and a front row)

Would you have a link or model number or something like that for the cabinets?  I'm going to be moving in about 45 days and there's a great space in my new house to hold movies if I can find something nice.

Thanks Kevin!

#204 of 208 andrew markworthy

andrew markworthy

Producer

• 4,766 posts

Posted August 13 2012 - 04:35 AM

Where else on Earth would you find a conversation thread on this subject?

I can think of several similar ones on Asperger syndrome forums. ;) I mix Blu rays and DVDs together, but I should add that the only DVDs I have now are those for which there is no Blu-ray version. They are arranged 'library shelf' alphabetically (i.e. all the titles beginning with A are together, but within the As they're not in rigid alphabetical order, etc), with the exception of any taller than normal case size box sets, which sit on a separate shelf. The only quirk within this is where I have a lot of films by the same director (Bergman, Kurosawa and Ozu) these are grouped together by director surname under the relevant alphabet letter (i.e. all the Kurosawa directed stuff is under K, etc). I thought this was kind of over-elaborate until I saw some of the systems listed on here. I feel a lot better about myself now. Thanks guys!

#205 of 208 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 29,271 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted August 13 2012 - 05:07 AM

Originally Posted by andrew markworthy 

I thought this was kind of over-elaborate until I saw some of the systems listed on here. I feel a lot better about myself now. Thanks guys!

We are all about affirmations, Andrew!  Posted Image

Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#206 of 208 David Weicker

David Weicker

Screenwriter

• 1,590 posts

Posted August 13 2012 - 12:39 PM

I think a terrific party game would be to invite one of the other posters here over to your house. Let them at your collection for about an hour. Then see how long it takes you to find a given movie. Hilarity ensues. David

#207 of 208 SeanAx

SeanAx

Stunt Coordinator

• 117 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted August 15 2012 - 03:40 AM

I love this board. It's one of the only places that makes my obsessive compulsive approach to organizing my discs look less extreme. Not quite normal, mind you, but at least part of a tradition.

Sean Axmaker
Videophiled, the home video column of Cinephiled (http://www.cinephiled.com/)
Editor of Parallax View (http://parallax-view.org)
Member of the Online Film Critics Society (http://www.rottentom...com/author-229/)

#208 of 208 Kevin EK

Kevin EK

Screenwriter

• 2,780 posts

Posted August 16 2012 - 06:48 PM

Jason, I'll have to look up the model number.  I have it in the cabinets and I can figure it out on Saturday.

Glad to know the OCD is not only in my place but all over the place in this thread...