Signing up for an account is fast and free. As a member you can join in the conversation, enter contests to win things like this Logitech Harmony Ultimate Remote and you won't get the popup ads that guests get. Click here to create your free account.

Photo
- - - - -

So...are you mixing-in your HD discs with your SD-DVDs?

• You cannot start a new topic
  • Please log in to reply
207 replies to this topic

#1 of 208 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 23 2008 - 01:38 PM

On your shelves, that is? Or, are they segregated from each other?

I always find these threads interesting...with the different approaches HTFers have to organizing their collections.

My BDs are currently in a wicker basket separated from their SD counterparts on the shelves...waiting for me to decide what-to-do.

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#2 of 208 Bryan X

Bryan X

Producer

• 3,469 posts

Posted February 23 2008 - 01:55 PM

My HD-DVDs are definately segregated from my SD DVDs. Heck, I even used to segregate my snappers from keepcases before I replaced all my snappers.

#3 of 208 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted February 23 2008 - 02:04 PM

My HD-DVDs and Blu-ray discs are mixed right in with the DVDs! There all organized in alpha order by genre. It's one big happy family!

#4 of 208 Bryan Beckman

Bryan Beckman

Second Unit

• 272 posts

Posted February 23 2008 - 02:18 PM

I have two separate alphabetized sets, one for my BDs and then one for my DVDs, with the oversized Superman Ultimate Collector's Edition tin separating the two. I prefer uniformity of physical arrangement over a broader alphabetized order, even if it does mean that my Lost Season 3 set is on a higher shelf than Seasons 1-2. Posted Image

#5 of 208 Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun

Studio Mogul

• 37,617 posts

Posted February 23 2008 - 04:39 PM

To quote newly minted Grammy award winner Amy Winehouse:

"No...No...No"
"Jee-sus, it's like Iwo Jima out there" - Roger Sterling on "Mad Men"
Patcave | 2006 Films | 2007 Films | Flickr | Comic-Con 2012 | Dragon*Con 2012

#6 of 208 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 23 2008 - 04:40 PM

I arrange my films alphabetically by themes (historical, classics, comedy, drama, sci-fi, etc.) and I do the same with my music. Furthermore, I do the same with hi-res audio (DVD-A and SACD on separate shelves). With HD DVD (no Blu-ray yet), I simply do alphabetical as I don't have enough for sub-genres. When I go "Blu", it'll be the same for a while, then as the collection grows, sub-genres will emerge.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

#7 of 208 Stephen_J_H

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie

• 3,862 posts
  • LocationNorth of the 49th

Posted February 23 2008 - 06:02 PM

Segregated. I have a ledge that runs around my basement, and that's where my HD DVDs are for the time being. I also keep my music DVDs and TV Season sets organised separately.
"My opinion is that (a) anyone who actually works in a video store and does not understand letterboxing has given up on life, and (b) any customer who prefers to have the sides of a movie hacked off should not be licensed to operate a video player."-- Roger Ebert

#8 of 208 Nick Laslett

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator

• 93 posts

Posted February 23 2008 - 09:53 PM

I transfer all by DVDs into slim cases when I buy them, scanning the cover and rezising the spine.

As I buy Blu-Rays these go into the slim case and the DVD disc goes back into it's original box in the attic.

So my collection looks unchanged and you would not know that I have any Blu-Ray discs.

#9 of 208 Dale MA

Dale MA

Supporting Actor

• 942 posts

Posted February 23 2008 - 10:19 PM

The top couple of shelves our now reserved for my HD purchases. So they're segregated from the rest of my DVD collection but inside the same cabinet.

The HD DVDs and Blu-rays are mixed together, however.

#10 of 208 Cees Alons

Cees Alons

Executive Producer

• 18,547 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 01:07 AM

What PaulDA does.

I have themes, and originally I planned to have the HD cases at the "front" (= before "A") of each theme, but then I decided to have all HD cases as a separate "theme", on their own shelves. First all BDs, then all HD DVDs.

In a few years, and if HD really succeeds, I may go to the other arrangement after all.

Cees

#11 of 208 Jason Seaver

Jason Seaver

Lead Actor

• 9,306 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 01:19 AM

Right now, they're segregated in part because there was no room left on the shelves holding the DVDs. And because having the shelves look ragged would have bugged me.

No themes or genres, though. Too many of the best movies would fit into multiple categories.
Jay's Movie Blog - A movie-viewing diary.
Transplanted Life: Sci-fi soap opera about a man placed in a new body, updated two or three times a week.
Trading Post Inn - Another gender-bending soap, with different collaborators writing different points of view.

"What? Since when was this an energy...

#12 of 208 RickER

RickER

Producer

• 5,130 posts
  • LocationTulsa, Oklahoma

Posted February 24 2008 - 01:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan X
I even used to segregate my snappers from keepcases before I replaced all my snappers.

Here i thought i was the only one. I hate snappers so much! I had my Blu-rays mixed in with my DVDs for about a month. Now i keep them seperate.

#13 of 208 Ric Easton

Ric Easton

Screenwriter

• 2,812 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 01:50 AM

Another reason I have 'em all mixed in... Do you think I want my wife to be able to tell at a glance, how many HD-DVDs I continue to "sneak" into the house?!

Anyway, when I'm looking for a movie to watch, I don't want "Do I want HD or SD?" to be a deciding factor.

#14 of 208 Travis Brashear

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

• 1,175 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 05:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Easton
Another reason I have 'em all mixed in... Do you think I want my wife to be able to tell at a glance, how many HD-DVDs I continue to "sneak" into the house?!

Anyway, when I'm looking for a movie to watch, I don't want "Do I want HD or SD?" to be a deciding factor.

Ditto on both accounts.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote, "The world is a fine place and worth fighting for." I agree with the second part...
--Det. William Somerset, SE7EN

http://www.dvdanthol...-movielist.html), http://LDDb.com/coll....user=Filmmaker

#15 of 208 Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz

Producer

• 3,029 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 05:24 AM

I keep my SD-DVD seperate from my HD discs, I keep them in alphabetized order. I do however have my HD-DVD's and my Blu-ray's mixed together in alphabetized order as well. As a collector I will most likely keep my SD-DVD just incase something happens to my HD version.

Posted Image

Quote:

Why you sly devil you! http://static.hometh...smiley_wink.gif">
Supporter of 1080p & 4K video / Supporter of Lossless PCM, Dolby True HD and DTS HD Master Audio / Say No To MP3 & WMA / Say no to Bose & LG!

#16 of 208 Craig Beam

Craig Beam

Screenwriter

• 1,678 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 06:03 AM

My Blu-rays have their own shelf, separate from the DVDs. As the Blu-ray collection grows, I imagine that'll change.

#17 of 208 Ron-P

Ron-P

Producer

• 6,283 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 06:57 AM

I have three separate sections; Blu-ray / HD-DVD and SD-DVD.
You have all the weapons you need...Now fight!

#18 of 208 Adam Gregorich

Adam Gregorich

Executive Producer

• 14,600 posts
  • LocationThe Other Washington

Posted February 24 2008 - 07:25 AM

Quote:
LOL Good point!

I have my DVDs alphabetical by genre: Western, War, Drama, Action Adventure, Classics and Kids (all genres are subjective). I currently have HD DVDs and Blu-ray on separate shelves in alphabetical order. They may get mixed in someday when I have caught up on my HD watching.

Quote:
I transfer all by DVDs into slim cases when I buy them, scanning the cover and rezising the spine.

As I buy Blu-Rays these go into the slim case and the DVD disc goes back into it's original box in the attic.

So my collection looks unchanged and you would not know that I have any Blu-Ray discs.

Wow that seems like a lot of work. I guess I know what you are doing the weekend after black Friday! Posted Image

#19 of 208 Mike Frezon

Mike Frezon

Studio Mogul

• 28,766 posts
  • LocationRensselaer, NY

Posted February 24 2008 - 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Laslett

Interesting, Nick. Do you have no "new" BD purchases for which you are NOT replacing an SD-DVD? In those instances would you: use the BD case or completely re-size the entire cover for an SD ThinPak case?

Don't know if you are aware, but we have an entire thread devoted to the topic of "slimming down" one's collection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric Easton

Posted Image Oh, man. i wonder, honestly, how many guys on this forum can relate to THAT?! Posted Image

There's Jessie the yodeling cowgirl. Bullseye, he's Woody's horse. Pete the old prospector. And, Woody, the man himself.Of course, it's time for Woody's RoundUp. He's the very best! He's the rootinest, tootinest cowboy in the wild, wild west!

HTF Rules | HTF Mission Statement | Father of the Bride

Dieting with my Dog & Heart to Heart/Hand in Paw by Peggy Frezon

#20 of 208 PaulDA

PaulDA

Screenwriter

• 2,575 posts
  • LocationSt. Hubert, Quebec, Canada

Posted February 24 2008 - 07:38 AM

Not me. I have no issues there. (re: wife thing)

I should note that within one sub-genre, historical feature films, I don't alphabetize them. Instead, I place them in chronological order of the events they portray (I know, I'm weird).

I doubt I'll ever mix them all together as I use different players for different formats, so separating them makes it easier.
Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes time, and it annoys the pig.

Back to Blu-ray

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Forum Nav Content I Follow