-

Photo
- - - - -

Which short-run (1 season or less) show would you MOST like to see on DVD?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
303 replies to this topic

#41 of 304 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Dearborn
For those folks posting shows from very recently, at least you had opportunity to record them yourself, had you been so inclined. I learned, oh around 1981, that if there was something airing that you think you might want to keep, record it and then you at least have it. It's mind boggling to me that 27 years later and people still have shows they like that they don't record and then they complain when they either don't get put on DVD or they come out with edits and music changes. And people continue to be surprised.

I should have been more specific and said PRIOR TO THE TAPING ERA.
Well, while that's true for some it may not be true for all. Shows that don't even get a whole season tend to get lost in the shuffle. Moving from timeslot to timeslot until they get cancelled. Some people may not have had the time to keep up with shows as well. You can't put tv shows ahead of your own lifes needs. So, I think your statements are a bit unfair to a good majority of people who do love certain shows, but for whatever reason didn't have the time or the means to record them for themselves.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#42 of 304 nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 08:42 AM

Quote:
For those folks posting shows from very recently, at least you had opportunity to record them yourself, had you been so inclined. I learned, oh around 1981, that if there was something airing that you think you might want to keep, record it and then you at least have it. It's mind boggling to me that 27 years later and people still have shows they like that they don't record and then they complain when they either don't get put on DVD or they come out with edits and music changes. And people continue to be surprised.

When your in another country with no dvd player, VCR etc its kind of hard to tape anything and when your back home and you only have 4 or 5 TV channels if your a student who can't afford cable its kind of hard to record your fave TV shows especially when most don't even air in the UK, which why I buy so many TV DVDs

#43 of 304 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,028 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 24 2008 - 09:03 AM

Quote:

Not really a fair criticism, Hank.

Who knew when the episode first aired that it would be the ONLY time it ever aired? Those shows never got repeated. No way to record every show you watch on the off chance it might be something that gets an early cancellation and thus will be something you want to keep. Most folks' lives are far too busy to take those kinds of precautions.

#44 of 304 Duane Alford

Duane Alford

Second Unit

• 283 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 05:19 PM

Of all the shows I want, there's 32 unreleased. of those, 19 are one season or less. Of the 19 I have two I'd most like to see released: Booker (21 Jump Street spin off) and Cover Up.

#45 of 304 Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH.
Not really a fair criticism, Hank.
But Hank is right that it's possible nowadays to tape and keep shows you like. If you loved a show from the 50s or 60s there was NO way to keep it and watch it again. Many of those shows we would love to have will never again see the light of day.

I've learned that the moral of the story is this: If you see a show advertised and have an idea you might like it, go ahead and tape it. And if you should like it, transfer it to DVD to keep. Chances are it won't receive a release due to music clearance rights or it will have changes made to it before it's put onto DVD. Your best shot today at obtaining material the way you've seen it on TV is to just record and keep it.

#46 of 304 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena S
But Hank is right that it's possible nowadays to tape and keep shows you like. If you loved a show from the 50s or 60s there was NO way to keep it and watch it again. Many of those shows we would love to have will never again see the light of day.

I've learned that the moral of the story is this: If you see a show advertised and have an idea you might like it, go ahead and tape it. And if you should like it, transfer it to DVD to keep. Chances are it won't receive a release due to music clearance rights or it will have changes made to it before it's put onto DVD. Your best shot today at obtaining material the way you've seen it on TV is to just record and keep it.
Well, that may be true for some as I said before, but, not all. I find it amazing that it is so hard to understand that some people either couldn't tape it or had no time in thier lives to watch it. Isn't it within the realm of possibility that some people may not have had VCRs? Is it hard to understand that some may have had more important priorities to meet that made them miss shows that they otherwise would have watched? Those same people may be in a better position in thier lives now and want to get those shows they loved and missed. Hank opened this thread to everyone. Then, all the sudden, he posts that he meant prior to the taping era. Prior to who's taping era? In my family we didn't even have a VCR until 1989. The comment was unfair and inconsiderate on his part as you can see by a few other posts by members of the forum.
" I think it's time we go to plan B". "What's plan B?" "That's the one where we don't do something stupid".

#47 of 304 ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted February 24 2008 - 08:18 PM

Short-run shows I would like to see DVD releases for:

SatAM = Saturday morning

*Devlin (ABC SatAM, 1974-1975)
*These Are the Days (ABC SatAM, 1974-1975)
*The Partridge Family, 2200 AD (CBS SatAM, 1974-1975)
*Valley of the Dinosaurs (CBS SatAM, 1974-1975)
*The Mumbly Cartoon Show (ABC SatAM, 1976-1977)
*Skatebirds (CBS SatAM, 1977-1978)
*Yogi's Space Race (NBC SatAM, 1978-1979)
*The New Fred & Barney Show (NBC SatAM, 2/79-9/79)
*The Super Globetrotters (NBC SatAM, 1979-1980)
*The New Shmoo (NBC SatAM, 1979-1980)
*Out of the Blue (ABC, 1979-1980)
*The Associates (ABC, 1979-1980)
*The World's Greatest Super Friends (ABC SatAM, 1979-1980)
*Scooby's Laff-A-Lympics (compilation title of the Laff-A-Lympics segments originally from 1977-1979) (ABC SatAM, 6/80-11/80)
*The Kwicky Koala Show (CBS SatAM, 1981-1982)
*Trollkins (CBS SatAM, 1981-1982)
*Open House (FOX, 1989-1990)

~Ben (ClassicTVFan1981)

#48 of 304 Montytc

Montytc

Stunt Coordinator

• 178 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 03:45 AM

Eyes

Brackens World (This one might have made a little more than a single season)

#49 of 304 Tory

Tory

Screenwriter

• 1,314 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA

Posted February 25 2008 - 04:04 AM

Probe
Phoenix
Outlaws
Others
Strange Luck
VR5
Johnny Bago
Johnny Staccato
Starman
Misfits of Science
Quest
Drive
Magician
Covington Cross
Nightmare Cafe
Powers of Matthew Starr
Nearly Departed
Wizard
Spider-Woman
Come Back Mrs Noah
Hungry enough to eat a turnip and call it a turkey.

#50 of 304 Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troy evans
Well, that may be true for some as I said before, but, not all. I find it amazing that it is so hard to understand that some people either couldn't tape it or had no time in thier lives to watch it. Isn't it within the realm of possibility that some people may not have had VCRs? Is it hard to understand that some may have had more important priorities to meet that made them miss shows that they otherwise would have watched? Those same people may be in a better position in thier lives now and want to get those shows they loved and missed. Hank opened this thread to everyone. Then, all the sudden, he posts that he meant prior to the taping era. Prior to who's taping era? In my family we didn't even have a VCR until 1989. The comment was unfair and inconsiderate on his part as you can see by a few other posts by members of the forum.
Can't speak for Hank but my comment was directed toward people wanting today's shows.

And no, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a VCR. Most of the people I know also have recordable DVD players. They're not that expensive nowadays and they're a heck of a lot cheaper than sinking money into boxed sets.

#51 of 304 michael_ks

michael_ks

Screenwriter

• 1,295 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 06:29 AM

I have several in my want list but the one season show I'd like to have most of all is Rod Serling's "The Loner".

#52 of 304 troy evans

troy evans

Screenwriter

• 1,294 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elena S
Can't speak for Hank but my comment was directed toward people wanting today's shows.

And no, I don't know anyone who doesn't have a VCR. Most of the people I know also have recordable DVD players. They're not that expensive nowadays and they're a heck of a lot cheaper than sinking money into boxed sets.
I know the point that you're making. Now, let's put this in another way. So, you're saying that anyone from the time that VCRs were around to now should have just taped thier favorite shows? Also, that those people should stop complaining about releases of those shows, because since they had a chance to tape it, it's thier own fault? So if someone has a family they should put them on hold to have taped a show? If the answer to any of those questions is yes, then, that's sad. I guess this is what people should have done: Father has a daughter in a school play, but, he should sit home and tape his favorite show instead. Since he has one show coming on one channel and a second show on another channel at the same time that he just can't miss. Perhaps someone couldn't afford a VCR when the market was new, Oh well, that's thier problem. One of your friends is sick and needs help, sorry, but I can't miss M*A*S*H. Need to get a VCR and I also need to eat, no problem, I'll just starve. At least I'll be able to watch my shows and tape them. Oh no, I have to go to work and Magnum is on. I'll just quit my job, because it's my fault if I can't tape it and have no VCR. Are you starting to see how simplistic you're making it all sound, regardless of one's circumstances? People are not always in the same position in thier lives from one year to the next. That doesn't mean they are any less worthy to have the shows they love than anyone else. If my point is still not made, then it never will be for you.

#53 of 304 nikkif99uk

nikkif99uk

Supporting Actor

• 984 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 08:34 AM

My main argument is that alot of people in countries other than the US, don't even get the chance to watch their main shows as alot don't air in the UK, especially if you don't have cable, plus being here for a year means no DVD recorder or VCR. Back Home in England I do have a DVD recorder which is cool for recording stuff on the free 5 channels but not many shows are on them.

#54 of 304 Brian Himes

Brian Himes

Screenwriter

• 1,003 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 08:36 AM

The Hot L Baltimore! Without a doubt.

#55 of 304 Matt Hough

Matt Hough

Executive Producer

• 11,028 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC

Posted February 25 2008 - 08:44 AM

Another I'd love to see again was Robert Conrad's THE DUKE.

#56 of 304 Jeff-Wooten

Jeff-Wooten

Stunt Coordinator

• 113 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 09:11 AM

Tales of the Gold Monkey remains high on my "want: list. I hope the rumors of Universal releasing a dvd this summer to tie into Indy IV is true.

Andy Richter Controls the Universe. I know that it technically aired a really short second season but all the episodes produced for the two seasons would technically equal one full season I guess.

The New People. If only to see how it really compares to Lost. I've heard there were a lot of similarities.

The Silver Surfer animated series that aired on Fox earlier this decade.

#57 of 304 Peter M Fitzgerald

Peter M Fitzgerald

Screenwriter

• 1,607 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 01:03 PM

T.H.E. CAT (1966-67, 26 episodes)

The runners-up:

2. SUSPICION (1957, 20 episodes)
3. CORONET BLUE (1965/67, 13 episodes)
4. WAY OUT (1961, 14 episodes)
5. BUS STOP (1961-62, 26 episodes)
6. THE WESTERNER (1960, 13 episodes)
7. MAN IN A SUITCASE (1967-68, 30 episodes)
8. THE BLUE LIGHT (1966, 17 episodes)
9. JOURNEY TO THE UNKNOWN (1968-69, 17 episodes)
10. THE IMMORTAL (1969-70, 16 episodes)
11. STONEY BURKE (1962-63, 32 episodes)
12. ULTRA Q (1965, 28 episodes)
13. THE NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1968-69, 20 episodes)
14. Q.E.D. (1982, 6 episodes)
15. WORLD OF GIANTS (1959, 13 episodes)
16. DECOY (1957-58, 39 episodes)
17. THE GREEN HORNET (1966-67, 26 episodes)
18. THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966, 18 episodes)
19. 87TH PRECINCT (1961-62, 30 episodes)
20. CAPTAIN NICE (1967, 15 episodes)
21. Quinn Martin's TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED (1977, 8 episodes)
22. DARKROOM (1981, 16 episodes)
23. THE SPACE GIANTS (1966-67, 52 episodes)
24. JOHNNY SOKKO & HIS FLYING ROBOT (1967-68, 26 episodes)

My Current Damage at DVD Aficionado

Wanted in R1: UNEARTHLY STRANGER ('63) / IF I HAD A MILLION ('32) / THE FACE BEHIND THE MASK ('41) / IT CONQUERED THE WORLD ('56) / TERROR ABOARD ('33) / DANGER ROUTE ('68) / THE BLISS OF MRS. BLOSSOM ('68) / GUNN ('67) / ZOO IN BUDAPEST ('33) / THE SEA WOLF ('41) / DAY OF THE TRIFFIDS ('63, restored) / ALAKAZAM THE GREAT ('60) / DARKER THAN AMBER ('70) / THEY WON'T BELIEVE ME ('47) / CROSSWINDS ('51) / JIVARO ('54)

Wanted TV-on-DVD: T.H.E. CAT (1966-67) / SUSPICION (1957-58) / WAY OUT (1961) / ALFRED HITCHCOCK HOUR (1962-65) / PANIC! (1957-58) / CORONET BLUE (1965) / DRAGNET ('50s) / NEW ADVENTURES OF HUCK FINN (1968) / BUS STOP (1961-62) / THE WESTERNER (1960) / THE IMMORTAL (1970) / BLUE LIGHT (1966) / TERRIERS (2010) / THE MAN WHO NEVER WAS (1966)

#58 of 304 ClassicTVFan1981

ClassicTVFan1981

Stunt Coordinator

• 55 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 01:47 PM

Some more:

Petrocelli (NBC, 1974-1976) (it ran two seasons actually, but still...)
Serpico (TV series) (NBC, 1976-1977)
The Working Stiffs (CBS, 1979-1980)
Man Undercover (NBC, 1980-1981)
Filthy Rich (CBS, 1982-1983)
Bring 'em Back Alive (CBS, 1982-1983)
Tenspeed and Brownshoe (ABC, 1/80-6/80)
The Dukes (cartoon version of The Dukes of Hazzard) (CBS SatAM, 1983-1984) (two seasons)
The Bad News Bears (TV series) (CBS, 1979-1980) (two seasons)
Makin' It (ABC, 2/79-3/79)
Angie (ABC, 1979-1980) (two seasons again)
The Houston Knights (CBS, 1987-1988) (two seasons)
The Charmings (ABC, 1987-1988) (two seasons)

Perhaps this thread should list two-season shows as well, since some started not in September but anywhere between January and March.

#59 of 304 Cheetah

Cheetah

Stunt Coordinator

• 155 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 03:43 PM

• Logan's Run
  • The Phoenix
Another one I forgot was Cliff Hangers. It was a unique show on NBC in 1979 with three serials within each episode.
Stop Susan Williams
The Secret Empire
The Curse of Dracula

#60 of 304 Elena S

Elena S

Supporting Actor

• 528 posts

Posted February 25 2008 - 04:24 PM

Quote:
So, you're saying that anyone from the time that VCRs were around to now should have just taped thier favorite shows?

Did you even read my post? I said TODAY's shows.

Quote:
Also, that those people should stop complaining about releases of those shows, because since they had a chance to tape it, it's thier own fault?

Basically...yes. I'm still kicking myself for not taping some things I could have had today if I'd been on the ball.

Quote:
I guess this is what people should have done: Father has a daughter in a school play, but, he should sit home and tape his favorite show instead. Since he has one show coming on one channel and a second show on another channel at the same time that he just can't miss. Perhaps someone couldn't afford a VCR when the market was new, Oh well, that's thier problem. One of your friends is sick and needs help, sorry, but I can't miss M*A*S*H. Need to get a VCR and I also need to eat, no problem, I'll just starve. At least I'll be able to watch my shows and tape them. Oh no, I have to go to work and Magnum is on. I'll just quit my job, because it's my fault if I can't tape it and have no VCR. Are you starting to see how simplistic you're making it all sound, regardless of one's circumstances?
You should have lived in the day when there was no possible way to preserve one's favorite show. Those are the ones that will never be released.

Maybe you should go back and re-read your own post. Do you realize how crazed it sounds? (the post, not you).

Back to TV on DVD and Blu-ray

Forum Nav Content I Follow